Twelve Monkeys Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Such a shame they haven't gone the whole way with a UHD release.
I guess Arrow aren't doing 4K discs yet?

as i was reading the review my order was sent by amazon, look forward to watching this again, a great film.

Such a shame they haven't gone the whole way with a UHD release.
I guess Arrow aren't doing 4K discs yet?
Embarrassed to say I have never seen this so will start with this 1080p version.

Sadly Arrow, despite scanning a lot of their films at 4K are stubbornly not releasing them on UHD Blu Ray. Between them and Criterion, my UHD collection is smaller than it should be.

Their 1080p stuff still looks amazing, but would like a version that hasn't been downscaled.

One of my favourite movies - I can only imagine this movie would look glorious in UHD, it really would be a shame if they don't release it sometime in that format.

Thanks for the Review Cas. As others have written, a real shame that they don't release the 4K version.
Could be a Catch 22 for 12 Monkeys - people hold out for the 4K version, not enough people buy this version, so they see no reason to waste more money on the 4K.
OR, we buy this disk, they decide that enough is enough & don't anyway release the 4K version.
I guess there is always the chance of the 4K scan making it to iTunes or similar, but not physical media... maybe...

Arrow licensed this from Universal and it is very likely that Universal would not allow them to release this in 4K UHD even if Arrow would finally start doing proper 4K UHD releases (which I hope they will in the future).

This remaster has been available for a few years. It was very hard to get. I had it on back order with Amazon for over a year. I suspect this new remaster is simply the hard to find version from a few years ago
It's a big upgrade on the original bluray.
The movie itself is simply outstanding

This remaster has been available for a few years. It was very hard to get. I had it on back order with Amazon for over a year. I suspect this new remaster is simply the hard to find version from a few years ago
It's a big upgrade on the original bluray.
The movie itself is simply outstanding
The press release from Arrow clearly states that this is a "Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative" made specifically for this release.

Is the hamster factor on this release which is a well documented, chronicle of the making of 12 monkeys?

Many thanks Cas,

Amazing film that was crying out for a remaster :)

Nearly all my bd discs look wonderful upscaled but this is an exception. I bought a copy very recently for a few quid. I had a play last night for the first time and it looked extremely poor so I’ll be buying again after all.:(

Last edited:
I've directly compared the new arrow version witj my 2013 remaster. Yes the new remaster is slightly sharper with a little more colour but the differences are very marginal and wouldn't be seen unless looking for them
Of course we didn't get the 2013 remaster in the UK It was USA only but region free.
I don't have the original UK bluray as I gave it away given the massive increase I got from the 2013 remaster
Comparisons all depend on which version of the disc one has and uses one has directly compares them then they can't say
Gilliam wanted the movie to have a haze in certain scenes so they always should be in there. Removing them destroys the integrity of the movie

This one's defo top 3 all-time films for me, will certainly be picking it up at some point.
It was never going to be a great looker though, so I don't see the point waiting for the ...10% improvement that 4k might offer if they release it. There's just not much more (after this scan) to be extracted from this cinematography and I'm fine with that.

Caps-a-holic shows that the improvements are limited but welcome, extra detail and a touch of sharpness and solidity.

I am a big time travel genre fan and thus is one of my all time favourite films. Must buy for me.

great film and a rare surprise to see bruce willis acting. Great documentary included with this the hamster factor not your typical pat everyone on the back publicity stunt.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom