Tweeters or Midrange more important?

sharmask

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a set of Panasonic component speakers and have installed them into the front doors of my Audi A3. The problem i am having is that one of the tweeters has stopped working completely. I am assuming its blown. As i need a new tweeter i am thinking about getting a set of good quality tweeters and putting them in.

I have a sub and want clear sound. Is it more important to have better quality tweeters the midrange speakers? Or should i buy a whole new component set? (I don't have too much money to spend). I can still buy a good set of tweeters, it just depends on what is more important.

Thanks.

sharmask

Standard Member
The components i have also don't have very good crossovers. There is no crossover box. I am not sure if audi already have crossovers, but the midrange speaker simply uses the standard lead for the audi and the tweeter uses the audi lead and a lead i was supplied with the components (which i am assuming allows only the treble signal to go through. I have set my amp for the crossovers to high pass. However if i put the bass up to even 0 on the head unit, a lot of bass is still going though to the components when the volume is put up causing distortion. Is there anything i can do about this? As if i turn the bass down the bass goes down for the sub. (There are seperate amps).

Is this the job of decent crossovers supplied with most modern components?

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
It's far more important to have midrange speakers than tweeters as, the most part of a recording, you're interested in, is produced in the midrange. Voices etc... are all at midrange frequencies, as a rough guide, from around 200hz to 8Khz. A decent sized mid range speaker will also do a good job at producing higher range bass frequencies and high frequencies in general, probably up to around 10Khz without any serious roll off.
However, in order to get a balanced sound, a midrange drive and tweeter are just as important as each other in my view.

I personally would try to stick with a tweeter that is matched to the midrange driver as, the sound integration should be much better. Have a look at Alpines range of component sets as, if you shop around, they are quite good value. Specifically, the SPS-171 (iirc) set. This is a 6.5" midrange drive with accompanying tweeter and crossover set. If you look around, you can get this for under £70 !

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
The components i have also don't have very good crossovers. There is no crossover box. I am not sure if audi already have crossovers, but the midrange speaker simply uses the standard lead for the audi and the tweeter uses the audi lead and a lead i was supplied with the components (which i am assuming allows only the treble signal to go through. I have set my amp for the crossovers to high pass. However if i put the bass up to even 0 on the head unit, a lot of bass is still going though to the components when the volume is put up causing distortion. Is there anything i can do about this? As if i turn the bass down the bass goes down for the sub. (There are seperate amps).

Is this the job of decent crossovers supplied with most modern components?
Not all component sets come with crossovers in a box. Have a look on the tweeter and there should be a small capacitor, inline with the positive (+) terminal. This is a very basic way of doing things but, is effective and will stop the damaging low frequencies getting to the tweeter driver.

If you trace back both leads, they both come from the same place, with the tweeter lead piggy backed (in parallel) to the midrange lead... Or at least this was the set up on my brothers S3 !

If you are using an amp for your components, shouldn't the speaker wires come from that and not the factory Audi loom ?!

Usually, an amplifiers 'high pass' filter will be from around 200 hz although, this is often adjustable to a bit higher than this.

Do you have 'loudness' or any kind of 'bass boost' on ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom