Tweeter Pushed in ...

signs

Banned
It seems whist i was at work today my young lad (20 months) has pushed my Kef 305,s Tweeter into some sort of shape that no lo longer resembles a tweeter , anybody know how i can get it's old shape back

:lease:

mjn

Distinguished Member
Welcome to my club!

Got a B&W centre speaker with an "optimized" tweeter. Tried sucking back into shape with a hoover, but no luck.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
It seems whist i was at work today my young lad (20 months) has pushed my Kef 305,s Tweeter into some sort of shape that no lo longer resembles a tweeter , anybody know how i can get it's old shape back

:lease:

Depends on the material and the dent. You could try a small piece of well worked blu-tack and try and pull the dented area out. You could try a hoover but it always struck me as a bit of a heavy handed approach.

EDIT- Posted that before I saw mjn's reply.

signs

Banned
If (as it looks likely) i cant get it back to it's once sumptuous looks ,will it affect the sound being out of shape ,or is it just aesthetics ?

Dony

Distinguished Member
If (as it looks likely) i cant get it back to it's once sumptuous looks ,will it affect the sound being out of shape ,or is it just aesthetics ?

Have you noticed any difference?

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer

Its dependent on the material but all but severe dents don't seem to have much effect. Metal tweeters (especially really light ones from titanium or beryllium) can stress more around the dent but soft domes don't seem as bothered.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Insurance claim? Get a new set.[/QUOTE

can't the little ****** (fella ;)) ripped the DVD drive out of my laptop and then proceeded to play some sort of football with it a few weeks back (the whole laptop) :(

a few years ago i tripped over the charger wire for my 40gb MP3 player...claimed for that as it lost 300 albums...the very next week i did the same and bust a laptop...the insurance company were really good and paid out straight away. They didn't increase the premiums either. This is the stuff you pay your premiums for.

Dony

Distinguished Member
I don't think it would make a noticeable difference, but could you live with the fact that a tweeter has lost it's shape??

signs

Banned
Its dependent on the material but all but severe dents don't seem to have much effect. Metal tweeters (especially really light ones from titanium or beryllium) can stress more around the dent but soft domes don't seem as bothered.

cheers ,time to put the covers back on then :(

stevefish69

Why not contact Kef and see how much a replacement tweeter will be.

I recently replaced a couple of damaged units and their Customer service is second to none. It's an easy enough job to change it, but will probably require a little soldering ;)

Their service department can be contacted on 01622 672 261

Edit - This is the main resaon i have to keep the covers on my Ref's. I'd hate to come home from work and find munched up biscuits and toy cars rattling around in the coupled Cavity hole where the Bass drivers reside. Luckily my kids are great with the kit and old enough to know better at 8 & 11. It's the neigbours little Brat that we have to watch :suicide:

Last edited:

IronGiant

cheers ,time to put the covers back on then :(

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup: I can't say it's never happened to me because my youngest is only 5, plenty of time for mayhem and destruction yet :D

Dave

Last edited:

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Why not attach the speaker covers to your sons hands? If he tries to touch the other speakers, they're already protected :D

RugbyAl

A new tweeter on a 1 month old B&W centre speaker was £45 fitted....don't you just love children's 'inquisitive ' minds!

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Reminds me of a funny story :rotfl:

My cousin has a set of 305's and he took the covers off, his girl friend was staying and was doing a little painting for him in his spare room. He phoned her in the afternoon to check on her progress, she told him about finishing the spare room and mentioned something about making his living room a little more colour co-ordinated.

When he arrived home, he discovered she had painted the tweeters silver with an acrylic paint so it matched his other equipment :eek::eek::eek: :rotfl:

He sent them off to Kef who replaced both of them and gave him free carriage, I seem to remember it costing him around £60 all in which I thought was excellent service.

I would get yours fixed mate, I could not live with 'knowing' they are not perfect. Then tell your boy you are sending them off to get speaker monsters fitted :rotfl:

Zeromajor

Reminds me of a funny story :rotfl:

My cousin has a set of 305's and he took the covers off, his girl friend was staying and was doing a little painting for him in his spare room. He phoned her in the afternoon to check on her progress, she told him about finishing the spare room and mentioned something about making his living room a little more colour co-ordinated.

When he arrived home, he discovered she had painted the tweeters silver with an acrylic paint so it matched his other equipment :eek::eek::eek: :rotfl:

what happened to his girlfriend? :D

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Not for the first time, I'm glad my speakers have a grill over the tweeter even when the cover is removed;
Mez1.jpg

The metal main driver is fairly robust to boot.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom