• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tweeter for B&W CM8

grazzy

Standard Member
Hello,

Had my CM8's for around 4-5 weeks now and they're absolutely fantastic - I couldn't be happier with them.

But unfortunately a housemate leaned over one of my speakers to get something off a shelf and managed to dent one of the tweeters.

I'm trying to get hold of a new one but B&W have told me they won't be getting anymore in stock until February. That just seems ridiculous to me.

Any idea where I might be able to source another one from, i.e authorized dealer?

Cheers

Ben

Wilseus

Established Member
Many tweeters can be dismantled in such a way that you can get to the diaphragm from behind. This usually involves removing the magnet which is usually separate from everything else. Then you can very carefully push out the dent. It'll not be perfect but should tide you over until you can get it replaced. I've successfully done this with a Mordaunt-Short aluminium domed tweeter before.

bluedroog

Prominent Member
You could also try using a vacuum cleaner with the attachment removed or some blu-tac to fix it. Does it actually have an adverse effect on the sound or is it purely aesthetics?

juggler

Established Member
I got a replacement CM1 tweeter next day just this week from Chew & Osborne Ltd :: Perfectionists in Audio and Video equipment for 40 years - I'm pretty sure it's the same part as the CM7.

If you want to try a repair first and the damage is minor then don't both with a vacuum cleaner or blu-tac; it doesn't work on the aluminium dome. If the damage is minor you can easily take the tweeter out yourself if you are careful by undoing the allen bolts and lifting the faceplate off, then unscrewing the baffle from the back. Use something like the rounded top end of a pencil - basically something hard with the same curvature as the tweeter - to poke it out from behind.

It's a little tricky to reassemble as you can't lie it flat to do up the baffle screws, which are tight, but it's perfectly possible to hold it in your hand to do it so long as the screwdriver is the right size.

eog75

Standard Member
Hi everyone,
Have the same problem with my cm8 tweeter. I have the replacement tweeter diaphragm but cannot remove the tweeter. I unscrewed the bolts on the front, but do not know where to go from there. It won't come out. Can anyone help?
Thanks!
Enrique

Oi Oi Savaloy

Established Member
I was in Audiovenue in west London last week..they had a CM9 that had a new tweeter fitted..also they had covers fitted to protect against further damage..

Alan...

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom