1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tweaking the Toshiba WH18B

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Tomas L, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi everybody!

I bought a Toshiba 50WH18B last week, and so far I'm very happy with the TV. But there are still some things that could be improved. DVD picture is wonderful and razorsharp! (except for the subtitles, more about that later...)

I have read all the information I could find on AVforums, DVDforums and newsgroups like uk.media.home-cinema, I know how to get into the service menu and how to adjust the 64 point convergence. (Haven't done it yet though, waiting for the TV to reach 100 hours)

But I would still like to ask everybody that have tweaked thier WH18 to share their experiences.

The thing that really bugged me the first days (still do, but not as much) is the blue glow/halo/fringing around bright object on dark backgrounds. I know why the blue gun is defocused but I still would like to minimize the glow since contrast and sharpness on subtitles suffers considerably. I don't buy that blue defocus doesn't affect sharpness, not when it's as defocused as on my TV.

Here are my questions:

1. Have anyone tried to do an electrical and/or mechanical focus on the blue gun? Was it possible to improve the blue focus?

2. If it was, how did focusing the blue gun affect greyscale, and what have you done to correct it?

3. Was the red and green gun focused ok?

4. Is it harmful for the blue gun to be focused properly? Burn-in?

5. Some say that you will have to change the plastic lens on the blue gun to a glass lens to achieve god focus....?

6. To my surprise, SVM artifacts doesn't seem too obvious, but still: have anybody disabled SVM and what is the result?

Cheers,

Tomas L

BTW: here are some pictures of my setup, click on the picture and then click again to zoom: http://www.dvdforum.nu/galleri/index.asp?act=sa&id=1105&user=1560

2. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  3. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Anybody...? :(

I have just done the service menu convergence, and it's a little better. But not as good as it could be, i guess. I have taken some new pictures after the adjustment, one picture shows a point in the nine point convergence menu, nr 7 (low left). It looks worse in the pictures than it really is though...

As you can see, the glow is still there...(click on the picture to zoom)
    http://www.dvdforum.nu/galleri/index.asp?act=sa&id=1117&user=1560

I guess that I'll have to try to focus the blue gun...?

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the best option is to wait until the TV has reached is 100 hours, and then let a ISF certified person calibrate your set. While he/she is at it, you can let him have a look at focus of the blue tube. (or let a TV repair person look at it before
    your set is calibrated)

My guess is that the blue halo is more pronounced, in comparison with other RPTV's because your set is quite large, while it still uses the same 7" tubes the smaller sets use, and therefore it needs a bit more effort in adjusting the set than Toshiba is willing to make.

While I'm at it, i have a question myself: are RPTV's available that have focus controls in the service menu, or is it all hardware?).

5. 2shy

2shy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 56who8 with svm disabled and it looks fab. I think what you are seeing is a fault with your set; that blue halo looks awful.

6. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    2shy: I don't think that the blue glow is a fault with my set, it might be adjusted wrong though. The pictures that I have taken makes the problem look a lot worse than it really is; take a look at the latest pictures from about three-four meters from your computer screen and you find that the glow is much harder to spot.

This might be the solution to the problem(!): http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/generaltips/colorfocus/bluefocusadjustment.html