Tweaking my BK XLS200 mk1

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jasonjames71, Jan 12, 2008.

1. jasonjames71

jasonjames71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please could you give me some guidance on setting up my sub,, there`s hi and lo level gain ,frequency 40-120hz , and phase 0-180.
    i`m using a denon 3802 and want it mostly for films with the odd blast of 7 ch stereo music.
    its seems to hit its limit quite easily, on the amp there is an LFE option that is 80hz or 100hz or 120hz . i have it on 100 atm,
    i`m not sure quite sure what all these things mean.

thanks

jason

2. Dave964

Dave964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Your sub has two connections - hi level (which is for your hi-fi) and lo level (which is for your surround sound amp).

The gain is essentially the sub volume. Hence you have a volume for the hi-level input, and a volume for the lo-level input.

Frequency is the crossover frequency (which I think is also your amp LFE option). It basically means : the frequency below which your normal speakers don't output useful sound, and therefore your sub should take over. Set it to 80Hz - this is a typical value.

Phase is used to change the sub timing relative to other speakers. Once you've done the other settings, try some different values and see if you can find the one that sounds best - I left mine on zero (partly because I used REW and any other value made my dip just before 80Hz worse but that's a whole other story).

3. jasonjames71

jasonjames71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    k thanks dave, i have a home cinema dvd to play with, all i need now is for the wife and kids to go out!