1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tweaking convergence on KP44PX2

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rjs1974, Dec 17, 2002.

1. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if this can be done, i.e. if the auto convergence does not work 100%?

I still do not know how to access the service menu on this set, does anyone else? Convergence is good except the very bottom line which has either a green or pinky/red glow depending on what I am watching.

I also want to adjust the tilt/picture rotation a touch.

Service menu access anyone, please?

Cheers.

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rjs

have you tried ringing sony OR a sony service shop. Maybe an engineer at your local tv repair shop can help. If you find out let us know. Ill ask about too

cheers mate

3. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the manual is out of stock for "at least 8 weeks" and Sony said "we can't tell you how to access that" so I am none the wiser.

******s!

I will try to contact an independent Sony repair centre and ask them if they can tell me how to access the menu, since Comet do not seem to be able to find out:-(

Cheers mate!

4. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't it the same as every other Sony TV made in the last five years?

Turn the set on.
    Turn the set off from the remote control.
    Press the [I +] button.
    Press the [5] button.
    Press the [Vol +] button.
    Press the [TV] button.

or the other method which involves pressing the top prog buttons but as this set doesn't have them probably won't apply.

5. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, I will try the former.

I tried the latter, since it does have PROG + and PROG - buttons under the concealed flap on the right hand side, but it did not work. I tried turning the set off on the set, held down PROG + and PROG - while I turned it back on from the set, then pressed MENU twice on the remote - no joy!! Tried it many times and no luck, is that the right way.

As I said, will try the first method tonight, thanks for replying.

6. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always remember to write everything down first before changing anything :)

And if these methods don't work, theres the method I use that involves programming a sky digi remote with the discrete code to access the service menu direct. But we'll keep things simple for now ;)

7. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick question, do you press these sequentially or all together at the same time?

Cheers mate.

8. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sequentially I believe. Each press within 1 second of the other.

It's a little hit and miss though, you may have to try it a few times.

You know when it has worked because TT will appear at the top of the screen. Then all you have to do is press menu and then menu again and you should see the service menu.

If it's the same as mine then the basic functions are all menu driven. Let me know if you need any more help. I'm no expert but at least I'll help...

9. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It worked!!!

Problem is, to my horror I last night discovered my screen has 3 biggish scratches on it which I had not noticed before, and now I can see nothing else:-(

Aside from that, do you know how to adjust the picture rotation or tilt, when the image is slightly skewed? Mine is slightly higher on the right hand side than on the left.

And is it possible to adjust the colour convergence manually, like on older sets?

And I have heard of a function called "white balance". Any ideas if this can be used to remove the yellowy/nicotine stain on the right hand side when the screen is bright white?

Thanks loads for your help matey!

10. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine has some scratches too. God knows what they do with these sets between making them and getting them to your house :)

Fortuneately the worst can only be seen from a certain angle and when the screen is black so not a major problem but is yours visible in normal viewing?

I can only guide you based on my set so apologies if your service menu is slightly different.

If the first screen presents you with something like the following then we are ok.

Initialising
    Reset Devices
    Monitoring
    Device register setting
    Special Adjustments

Device register setting is where the good stuff is. I assume you know how to navigate using the joystick. In the sub menu for device register setting there should be a list of areas such as Backend, Deflection, Ext Deflection all the way down to Projector Engine and Picture Booster.

Backend allows you to adjust contrast,brightness,sharpness, VM level, and other colour related things. VM level is what most people change by reducing it to 0 to knock it off. This depends on your viewing preferences.

Deflection allows you to alter the shape of the screen, pin cushion, overscan etc. I found that the best settings are the ones the TV shipped with. But others may not be as lucky.

Ext Deflection allows you to adjust rotation among other things.

The projector engine is where you adjust the convergence manually!!!

On mine it overlays the following at the top of the screen.

PJE 00 00
    FDIS 00

if you get that then your one step closer to adjusting the convergence. Let me know if you need any help with the projector engine. It's a long tutorial!! ;)

Not sure about the white balance or stains, to be honest scratches and stains on a new TV might warrant a replacement? of course it does mean a lot of hassle getting a new TV. But if you do then practice your service menu skills on the old one safe in the knowledge that a new TV is on it's way ;)

Well, by now you're probably just wanting to get on and adjust things.

Let me know if you get stuck. Or email me for a quicker response.

11. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you email me at:

richards@belmin.com

with your email addy?

My menu looks different from that, but I am sure the same tweaking is allowed.

I might get an exchange, since the scratches are visible all the time, now I have seen them:-( Typical, although the yellow staining is quite prominent too, all the time.

I would love to mess about with this set now though, knowing I can swap it, so let's go for it!

Thanks again mate, you are a legend.

12. petergeorge72

petergeorge72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've had my set for a while now and have been very happy. However, I've just noticed a small but noticeable defect in the picture. Basically the colours are not "in line" with the picture. I don't mean that the convergence is out (the blue, red and green guns all seem well converged).... it's more a problem with the colours fittin the background. As an example, when the red square BBC logo is on the screen, the colour is slightly higher and to the right of the actual logo. All colours are the same but warm colours are more noticeable. Another example is on a wide screen image such as Attack of the Clones... where the black bar meets the edge of the picture there is a distinct lack of colour along the bottom of the picture.

Any ideas whats causing this?

13. Robson

Robson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On AOTC, there is a THX optimizer. Among the test images is a convergence grid and colour bar.

Use this first to double check the convergence. If all the lines are straight and white then your convergence should be ok. But you may find that in the corners you get slightly bent red or blue lines indicating that the convergence on this gun is slightly out.

I've noticed on mine that the edges aren't perfect. If you've ever set up the convergence manually and used the dot pattern you may have noticed that the centre dot is always quite easy to get a nice perfect round dot. But the edges always seems to have a slight blue or red bloom to them?

I think to correct this requires an adjustment on the guns themselves and not the service menu.

Hope this helps

14. silkyandy x

silkyandy x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry in advance for sounding slow but I don't understand which buttons I should press on the remote. what is I+ for example. I have remote RM-938 if that helps. I have tried to get the service menu up but no luck so far.

:lease:

15. silkyandy x

silkyandy x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    anyone out there that can help?

16. silkyandy x

silkyandy x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    ok. update. I have found the I+ button (my remote has had some of the text rubbed off. Anyway, Is the TV button in the intructions the on off button? If not could you explain which button it is. Tried in vien to get this to work yesterday.

17. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PeterGeorge

See my Sticky to fix this problem.

18. silkyandy x

silkyandy x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    could you link to the sticky?

19. silkyandy x

silkyandy x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Howie. Problem solved. Now lets just hope I can improve the picture. My problem appears to be with red images. They look blurry and jagged on the edges. All other colours appear fine. Any advice much appreciated.

20. silkyandy x

silkyandy x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My set says VCRPRESCS and not VCRPRESCM it still has 0 or 1 option and is set to 0. Is this the same setting?

21. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The required setting is VCRPRESCM, it should be there. You do have the KP44PX2 and not some other variation?

22. silkyandy x

silkyandy x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    My model is kp22px2u

23. silkyandy x

silkyandy x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    sorry kp44px2u

24. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fine, the U is just for UK.
    Keep looking, the required setting is there.

25. silkyandy x

silkyandy x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    NP thanks for your patience. Will this ammendment solve the red colour problem I seem to have. Red just does not look right on the set. It appears jagged and blurry.

26. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The problem that this fixes is described in my Sticky, it doesn't sound as though you have the same problem, I'm not sure what's up with your set.