1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tweaking and advisable limits?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Matinee, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a few months of CRT ownership, tweak-itis is starting to set in as I become more picky about the image quality.

My question is : are there advisable limits for particular settings?

Generally I have just been looking at a few resolutions, changing convergence, shifting and resizing the image a little and in one instance making a small bow adjustment IIRC.

I notice the one setting that comes with a warning is the raster shift option.

I also note when doing convergence that I tend to adjust the midpoint slightly off 50, and I usually adjust other areas before looking at corner convergence, otherwise some sections start to need 90/10 adjustment and this makes me slightly nervous.

What's the effect if one particular section is at 90, 10 or worse? Decreased product life, unreliable convergence, possible failure, strain on power supply?

I think I will hold off on any big changes or ground zero geometry and convergence adjustments until I have a serial cable enabling me to save configurations.

Any advice welcome, as I've not seen anything particularly relevant in other posts.

PK

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yep, all of those. :eek:

Most decent projectors are designed so that the convergence will dial in without having the settings at their extremes. If you find that the convergence settings at 10's or 90's then there is something wrong further up the chain. Get the fundamentals right first and you should find the convergence comes in easier.

Of course, there are occassions where the projector setup is being worked harder to compensate for something else that's wrong. Frame screens mounted to uneven walls are a good example.

Regards

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm with chris on this if any setting is getting close to its limit it genrally means that something has been set incorectly elsewhere.

I'm afraid its one of thosewhere some settings are ok others not.
    Horizontal raster shift will casue convergence projblems.

4. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, a lot of fiddling around over the weekend.

I think I know what I was doing wrong - I've been running the projector at various resolutions settling recently on 1080x864.

I had mistakenly resized the HTPC output to fit on the 16:9 screen, which obviously isnt correct - 16:9 material should fill the screen which means I need to either modify the vertical scaling to fit 16:9 on the screen (throwing the desktop way off the screen and making the raster usage a tad high) or, a better idea: select a 16:9 screen resolution.

Now running at 1080x608. Convergence isnt requiring two many high tweaks apart from one portion in the middle left side of the screen which needs an adjustment of 82.

I dont know if this is related to the geometry adjustments I had to make - one of the bow controls is reasonably low (at around 30). Geometry is pretty good, other than a small lean to the right at the very top left of the screen.

PK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.