Question TW9300. Has anyone had fan noise issues?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Arebee, Feb 6, 2018.

Tags:

1. Arebee

Arebee
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Hi all,

I have had my 9300 for 11 months now and ownership didn't start well. After 2 weeks it had to go back to Epson as it had a bad ballast that fried the ROM on the motherboard! Since repair, all has been fine until a couple of days ago when the fan became very noisy - only way I can describe the noise apart from the loudness increase would be the sort of noise a bearing would make when worn.

Previously the fan was barely audible but now when I turn it on it is very loud, it quietens somewhat after about 2 minutes but is still annoyingly obtrusive. If my wife has commented then something is a miss. In terms of power, the projector is always on the eco-setting and the noise is not dependant on signals in.

Anyone experience the same issue? Apologies if there is another similar thread to mine. I did do a search but found nothing.

Any help/advice from those far wiser than I would be extremely useful at this stage.

Thanks

RB

2. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +216
      I think you have answered your own question. If the fan was previously barely audible but now is very loud, that suggests a fault! Contact your reseller or Epson direct and invoke your warranty.

3. Arebee

Arebee
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks for your reply and I have done just that since my post.

Epson were not that encouraging with thier response. I had to record a sample of the fan noise and send it off. I got a reply which said in thier opinion it was normal. My supplier has been most helpful and has also listened to the recording and without hestitation agreed their is a fault, probably a bearing on the fan. They are working with me to resolve with Epson under the warranty.

As I have read on posts from others, Epson do let themselves down badly on customer support, to which I fully agree. When I had the major issue when I first bought the projector, given it was only 2 weeks old they wouldn't replace it. They wanted to repair it and I understand that this is acceptable under consumer law. But thier policy was to give me a reconditioned one, remove mine and then use that to replace the next faulty machine. This didn't sit well as far as I'm concerned. So in theory, they wanted to take my brand new projector, and replace it with one possibly 6-8 months old. I didn't accept this arrangement and insisted that mine was returned to be repeaird and then back to me (3 weeks later).

I wonder how long this episode will take?

RB