1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TW200, Z2 or lower rez - advice needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NoDad, Dec 25, 2003.

1. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all,
    I've been reading the forum for about a week now, V interesting. I'm thinking of getting a PJ. I've dismissed DLP (seen rainbows on X1 - not the best DLP PJ I know).

I only have a small room to set up system (2m x 3m), which will be dedicated to HT.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't DVDs 720 pixels wide? If I'm correct isn't there software interpolation going on to fill those 1280 pixels? I understand the desire to get rid of the SD (and the compatibility with HD but things will have moved on by then) but surely 1:1 pixel matching with the source has got to produce a better image.

My budget is around £1500 for the PJ. Anyone seen the Epson EMP-TW200, which on paper has higher AL (1300) but lower contrast (800:1) than the Z2.

Anyone got any advice on the lower res widescreen PJs, or should I go for a 1280x720 unit? Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks Chipster,
    Yes I've seen your side by side comparison. I was wondering if anyone had had a good experience with the tw200, your test model may have been faulty.
    Cheers.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    DVDs are indeed 720 (x 576), and the image shown as such gives everything a tall and skinny look. The picture is stretched sideways to the correct ratio of 1024 (x 576) (or crushed down if the display isn't capable of that width). I'm not sure how the extra 'lines' (width) are derived, but to have a display of that resoloution means that no extra scaling is involved.

However, most people see a smoother image with a higher res pj such as 1280 x 720, so given the choice, that would be the better option. It will also give a better picture with Hi Def material which even shows an improvement on xga projectors over DVD.

1:1 pixel matching from an HTPC is the best way to go, as the graphics card (idealy a Radeon) will scale the image accordingly, though some newer DVD players with DVI output are capable of doing this already, so they would be a more convenient option if you don't like the idea of a pc as your player. The pc does have the added flexibility of being able to play Hi Def material already though, along with other formats if need be.

GAry.

5. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks Gary,

That helps a lot. I'm thinking of using PC as player (DivX required) although some players now play DivX but quality may be suspect.

I think I will go down the route of 1280 x 720 but I'm going to wait a while and see what happens to prices. In the meantime I'm going to prepare the rest of the HT and keep an eye on reviews of other PJs. It seems that HT is really taking off, which has got to be good for all of us.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Yep, definately. :)

In the last two years, projectors have come along in leaps and bounds and are now available at relatively cheap prices. Waiting will bring better pjs and better prices, but the hard part is deciding when to actualy buy one.

I think you're doing the right thing - get the pj once everything else is ready for it. I had my pj a while before the room was ready for it, so it was compromised by being used in the lounge in the meantime.

Gary.

7. frederic

frederic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a TW200 and I think it's great. It's easy to use, and I even use it for daytime TV viewing. It has a lot of preset color modes and even if it's bulky and I wouldn't swap it.

8. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks Frederic,

Are you happy with the contrast?
    I understand the TW200 and Z1 are essentially the same unit inside, but the TW200 has a brighter lamp.

Just off to get the bits to build a screen.:D