tw10h uh oh

noel-pilot

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey again all,

Had my tw10 H six weeks now, just hit 100 hours. turned it on the other day and got a blinking red light. Checked the manual and it said take out the bulb put it back, should be ok, did that and it worked fine. Searched the forum and found a few posts about this saying should be fine after a turn off and on again at the plug. happened a couple more times which was annoying but not fatal. then today i turned it on and got a clicking noise, (bulb firing??) and no picture. grr turning off and on has no effect, will re seat bulb later on but gonna be phoning epson up tomorrow morning.

Can anyone tell me what they will do, have read about them trying to fob people off with refurbs. No way am i accepting a refurbed unit on a six week old projector.

Just really annoying, been so happy with it so far, don't want this to become a regular 90 hour thing!!

Hope you can help

Noel

I will assume under the warranty they will take it in for repair or replacement. You could try demanding a brand new replacement from the off and say that this fault is unacceptable in such a short time. ( try scaring them if they won't play ball, by saying you use a public AV forum and the service they give you, good or bad, will be reported on that forum).
But from a legal standpoint, I think they are only obliged to repair the unit, on a customer relations standpoint, you may get lucky.
Good luck!

On the rare occasion we've had a fault with an Epson we've found them to be pretty good. Don't forget to contact your dealer as well as they can intervene on your behalf if you have problems.

called them, 25 mins later they answered!! apparently the different flashing rate of the red light will tell me if its main board problem or the bulb. bulb covered under three month warranty so got to check that when i get home and hopefully will have some more action on monday!! fingers crossed its the bulb.....ish...cos if its the bulb why the heck did it go??!! grrr all fun!

As you already know, you're not alone. Although the indicator may say its a dodgy bulb it's probably not, why would it work faultlessly after a quick mains disconnection?

Next day on-site warranty will be from a 3rd party company who will probably have a recon spare in the van - don't bother is my advice!

Epson should be able to repair the unit for you, don't hold your breath for any quick wins with regards getting a new replacement unit though. I wrote letters to anyone I though might listen (inc MD) after a pretty difficult time with them and they were still unwilling to do anything - at this stage Epson had had possession of my PJ longer than I had!

Mine has apparently had a new ballast unit fitted. It seems OK so far, but then it was ok for 20hrs or so when they "fixed" it the first time.

I've posted my experiences before, but let me know if you want any more info.

Regards
Pip

I have had this problem on my TW10H too. Owned it for just approaching three months. In that time the flashing light problem on start up has ocurred three times. Once the mains disconnect fixed the problem but on other two occasions I had to remove and reseat the bulb. I heard the exact noise that you describe which sounds like the bulb trying to fire up, it tries about four times and then gives up.

To be honest I put this down to turning the projector on and off too quickly without allowing a cool down period. I read a thread on this forum about projector bulbs that suggested you need to treat them carefully. So I have always tried to be carefull about cool down period since.

Last time it happened to my projector though it was the first power up after three days in standby mode. so bulb was as cold as it was ever going to be.

Will be interested to see if Epson agree to send you a bulb out or if they expect this behaviour of consumer having to get the screwdriver out to be acceptable. I certainly do not want to end up with an exchange unit.

The real pain with this problem for Me is I have to remove my projector from its ceiling mount to get the bulb cover off and remove the bulb. Then when it goes back up it needs 10 minutes faffing to line the picture up again spot onto my screen.

Overall though I am still impressed with the product and picture for the price.

Regards

Jon.

came home yesterday to check the bulb, thought lets turn it on and see, and the flippin thing worked perfectly!! grr will talk to them again monday let them send an engineer out, then will see what happens! thanks for all the help and advice

oh...they also said you're supposed to lightly hoover the filter every 100 hours too! didnt know that, i do check it regularly but didnt know the hundred hours bit!

noel-pilot said:
oh...they also said you're supposed to lightly hoover the filter every 100 hours too! didnt know that, i do check it regularly but didnt know the hundred hours bit!

The Hitachi TX100 similarly starts red lights flashing at 100 hrs to warn you to clean the filter. I tend to clean it at 99 hrs then reset the filter timer.

It should be clearly stated in the manual, I've seen a number of people with the Epson worry about this red lights flashing situation, is it not clearly stated in the manual?

...PJ

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom