1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TW100, Sky & Video Over Long Distance

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Andy Hill, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Andy Hill

Andy Hill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have an Epson TW100 and a Pioneer 656 in one room and a regular PACE Sky digibox + TV in the lounge, some 30m+ away. I want to view Sky on the projector without paying Mr Murdoch any more money ! It will only be for occasional use and I don't need to view 2 different programs at the same time.

Having searched and read the archives I have come across many possible suggestions and solutions most of which seem to be specific to the projector used (i.e. horiz scan frequency, sync + sync voltage etc) and the distance over which the video signal needs to travel.

Guess this reduces down to 2 questions.....

1) What is the best (i.e. quality) way to send video over 30m+ distances ?

i.e. RF cable (just kidding !), wireless gigaHz video sender (kidding again ?), composite, S video, RGB, Component, VGA, CAT5 cable.

I think we all know which is better over short distances, but would for instance, a component cable signal degrade to composite quality over 30m ? In which case it is not worth the extra expense or will all methods degrade at the same rate. Should I bother at all, bearing in mind the SKY picture quality is pretty poor to start with and I intend to project onto a 7ft screen ?

2) What is the best (i.e. compatible) way to connect the SKY box to the Epson ?

i.e. RGB Scart to VGA (aka Keene Syncblaster cable), RGB converted to S Video or Component, Scart composite to composite in, KAT5/CAT5 automated system, SKy+ box without subscription (S video out to projector).

In an ideal world it would be nice if the solution was a 'low loss' cable transmitting RGB + LR audio with no conversion boxes. Am I dreaming or have any Epson TW100 owners managed this ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

2. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi Andy,

I've got a similar setup and used a CAT5 computer cable for the sound (use 2 out of the 5 twisted pairs for left and right channels) and a normal TV aerial coax cable for the video signal. It works well and I get no interference. You can plug the video cable directly into the TW100 and the sound directly into your receiver.

My sky digital decoder has both scart and video out. I found not difference betw either of these 2 outputs, so take your pick.

Regards
    Xander

3. Andy Hill

Andy Hill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Xander,
    Are you connecting the coax with RCA type plugs from a composite video out on the digibox to the composite in on the TW100 or from the RF Out ? If the latter then how do you connect to the TW100 - it does not have a TV aerial type plug input only composite RCA.

My digibox only has a SCART out, which I think can send both RGB and composite or an RF Out with a traditional TV aerial connector. I guess I could break out the composite and LR audio from the SCART and connect to the projector with RCA plugs.

Andy

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Video over distance is a tough one without breaking the bank. I have a synchblaster lead and a VGA extender to my ceiling mounted PJ, it's 12m long. No amplifier, and the signal is still good. I can only suggest trying it, the solution if it's not good enough is to put in an in-line signal amplifier, Can't reccomend anything, but there are more than several on the market. Do you have the synchblaster yet, can you ask Keene when you order one?

Component is the most bomb proof really, but RGB to component is expensive. VGA might work out just as well, for less money.

5. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

If the TW100 is anything like the Sony VPL-VW11HT it can accept RGBS in one of the 5 RCA connectors for RGBHV. There are no problems with sync and therefore a sync cable is not required.

You can get pro-scart cable from Keene (which for RGB is fine at 30m+ although not cheap!) and connect up something like this ...

Sky scart out - wire R, G, B & composite for picture and L/R audio out for sound ... at the other room break out the L/R audio to your audio equipment and terminate in two RCAs and for picture terminate the R, G, B & composite with RCA to stick in the projector in RGBH (leave V empty).

I'd recommend RGB over an RF picture if you can take the hit on 30m+ of cable!

6. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Andy, yes, I'm doing both the video and audio with standard RCA plugs (at both ends).

ps. I'm talking about the Sky Digital Decoder we use in New Zealand, but I'm sure it will work just the same for you.

Regards
    Xander

7. Andy Hill

Andy Hill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW
    - No I don't have a Syncblaster - its one of the options I am considering. Wasn't sure I needed the sync electronics in the Syncblaster to get a SCART RGB to VGA to work with the Epson. I assume you have a TW100 and yours works ?

MarkHudds
    - The TW100 does not have 5 RCA (RGBHV) inputs. It has a single composite, an S video, one set of 3 RCA's inputs, which according to the manual only accepts the 2 flavours of component (YCbCr, YPbPr), a Mini D-Sub 15pin which accepts analogue RGB and component and finally a DVI-I which accepts analogue or digital RGB. There is no mention in the manual about sync for the RGB inputs and whether composite can be fooled into being the Sync signal or whether the Mini D-Sub can carry the sync on one of its 15 pins. Might need a call to Epson Tech Support to check.

Xander
    - Sounds like your Sky digiboxes in NZ are equiped with a composite video out with female RCA - unfortunately mine isn't, though other non PACE makes may have.

You would think this would be easy ! Looks like a SCART RGB+LR audio cable connected to the Epson via Mini D-Sub connector + LR audio breakout to the amp is the best way to go, although probably the most expensive solution. Just not sure whether the Epson will sync to the signal or needs to be a Syncblaster cable. Alternative would be to convert to component (yet more expense) and terminate in Mini D-Sub.

Thanks for all your inputs and help.

Andy