1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TW100 problems vs Panasonic

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MerMan, Aug 13, 2002.

1. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Epson TW100 on home demo until Thursday 13th.

Some problems encountered are:

1) unable to supply it a progressive signal as it displays an out of range error message with H=31.5K and V=0K. Player was an Arcam DV27.

2) Some DVD discs work fine Lord of The Rings, Rush Hour 2, Tomorrow Never Dies and some do not Gladiator, Tarzan (I have a 2y4m old daughter), The Mummy. Source is via component and I have tried two DVD players,

There is a firmware upgrade available and I am making the assumption that the projector I have doesnt have it. Has anyone else encountered these problems? The supplier has been contacted but no answer yet.

The TW-100 was chosen due to the fact I need an 80" wide image at around 12-14 feet. It will do this very well. But it is £3.5K Argggggggggggggh!

My friend has a PT-AE100 and having compared them (we used the same source and overlayed the images on top of each other covering the lens of each projector when necessary) the Epson has better detail, colour and contrast terms I dont think it is £2.2K better.

It pretty much sucks that there really is nothing in between the two price brackets but if the problems with the Epson get resolved with the firmware upgrade I'm sure I'll be delighted as long as I dont think about the money too much!

Regards
    Wilson

2. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wilson,

I strongly suspect you have a projector with an old version of firmware. If you press and hold the "Help" button for about 3 seconds you'll get a screen full of info. The version number is at the end of the long string of numbers at the bottom. Mine is version 1.02 (xxx102) and the latest version is 1.08

I briefly tried a component signal into my projector and had a problem with sync - ie the image rolling and a broad white line moving up and down through the image. I'm vaguely aware of issues with PAL and/or Macrovision with early firmware versions but as I'm using a HTPC it doesn't overly concern me at the moment but Epson will arrange at some point to collect the projector and do the upgrade.

If you have chance to try the DVI input with a HTPC then I would be very interested in your thoughts. Your comments about the DV27 in another thread have got me thinking but I still can't get over that leap of faith that the DV27 will look better than a HTPC, particularly when using DVI. When you compared the DV27 to a HTPC on the Panny, what was it you felt the DV27 did better - was it detail, colours, artifacts, the whole nine yards ?

Allan

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Mine has the latest firmware and I have no problems playing discs vis component progressive. I did have problems with a Lecson DVD1000 (cheapie) I bought from Debenehams weekend before last but think it was the fact that

1. It is a low end player trying to do high end things
    2. The component connectors on the back are labelled incorrectly so could have had something to do with it (ie I could have had the connectors the wrong way round)

Needless to say the Lecson has now gone back from whence it came :p

This evening I will try some of the problem discs you mention on mine and let you know how I get on. can you let me know whether your discs are R1 or R2 and I will try the same regions (if I have them).

BTW, I currently have a Tosh SD900E with NTSC PS only (PAL PS is pseudo). I will (hopefully) have a Philips 962SA tomorrow with full PAL PS so can try that one also.

4. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allan

I am keen to try my pc with the Epson. Trying the powerstrip settings that have been posted previously I get an out of range error. If you could post your seetings I'll give them a go assumming they are not the same.

Just checked the projector version I have and it is 1.02. Hopefully that explains the problem.

Messiah

All disks were Region 2.

Regards
    Wilson

ps the following link is to the Yamaha badged version of th eprojector for interest http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/pdfs/catalog/2002UKbrochure.pdf

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    MerMan

Here u go. These are the settings from Epson themselves...

Pixel Clock 74.176MHz

Horizontal:
    -- Scan Rate 44.955KHz
    -- Active pixels 1280 pixels
    -- Front porch pixels 70 pixels
    -- Sync width pixels 80 pixels
    -- Back porch pixels 220 pixels
    -- Total pixels 1650 pixels

Vertical:
    -- Refresh Rate 59.940Hz
    -- Active lines 720 lines
    -- Front porch lines 5 lines
    -- Sync width lines 5 lines
    -- Back porch lines 20 lines
    -- Total lines 750 lines

These worked for me and gave an AMAZING picture :D

6. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Messiah I'll give them a go although they look similar.

Sent you a PM.

Regards

7. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wilson,

The PowerStrip setting for 1280 x 720 works okay for VGA but are not supported on the DVI input until firmware ver 1.08.

To get a pixel-perfect image when watching DVD via DVI, I set Windows to 1280 x 960 and the projector to "Zoom". Hopefully you'll find 1280x960 (32bit, very important) as a standard Windows resolution but if not PowerStrip definitely has it in its standard settings list.

Regardless of DVI, please grab a couple of R1 DVDs from somewhere and post your impressions of the DV27 vs HTPC on the Epson.

Allan

8. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allan

I have sent up pc and projector using DVI. When viewing normal I see full screen including desktop and menus. When using zoom these disappear. Is this correct?

Wilson

9. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wilson,

Yes, thats correct. This work-around when using DVI only works for playing DVDs as you lose the top and bottom of your Windows desktop.

I normally run Windows on the projector in 1024x768 for normal day-to-day use but I've configured PowerDVD to automatically switch to 1280x960 when playing DVDs. So once a DVD starts playing I then switch the the aspect on the projector to "Zoom" which crops the black border above and below the image.

When I exit PowerDVD the resolution is automatically restored to 1024x768 and I manually switch the projector back to "Normal"

Allan

10. MerMan

MerMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allan

Since we are now in HCPC land I've posted a question in that forum.

See you there.

Wilson