1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tw100/lpx-500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BBCuk2day, Jul 13, 2003.

1. BBCuk2day

BBCuk2day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying 1 of these 2 projectors from pricejapan as there prices are very cheap :)

At first i was planning on getting an ae300 but have got more money and am goin for 1 of these do you think i have made the right decision (sp)?

My room is 13' x 8' and the biggest my screen will be is 80'' wide ( for now anyways :) )

Also are there any differences between uk spec and japans spec of the pj's mentioned and any reason not to but from pricejapan? 1 last question what is this 14% import charge and do u have to pay it?
    Sorry for all these questions but i wuld like to get informed as possible before making a purchase :blush:

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    TW100 and LPX500 are very similar machines. The LPX has been tweaked by Yamaha and as well as better casing with less light spill is also quieter. Both will give an amazing image on an 80" screen or bigger. Check Mr Wilby's screenshots in this forum.

No difference at all between UK and Jap spec other than

1. A Jap model will have menus in Japanese which you will need to set to English. About 10 second job.

2. You will have no UK/European warranty so will need to return it to Japan for any service requirements.

3. You'll get a Jpaanes emanual so will need to download the UK one from the Yamaha site.

Other than that they are the same and even have an auto sensing power supply. You'll need to fit a UK plug though.

As to the 14% duty, this should not be charged if it comes through as a computer display device. However, if you are unlucky enough for Customs to recognise it is a Home Cinema projector (unlikely as all markings on box are in Japanese) then they may charge you this 14%. You WILL have to pay 17.5% UK VAT plus a samll admin charge. No getting round that one :(

Oh, only other potential downer is PJ will NOT do a dead pixel check prior to sending so you will have to take your chance. On that note the Yamahas appear to be far less prone to dead pixels than the TW100s.

Good luck. Order today you'll probably have Thursday :D

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I too started looking at the AE300.

But some reading around these forums and the web, the screenies thread mentioned above and Messiah's pixel checked almost new LPX500 going reasonably in the for sale forum convinced me you have chosen the correct path.

I can't give you any opinions yet, as it won't be here until Tuesday.

Good luck!

Cheers
    Marc