Answered TVs without vertical banding?

onedrift

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to get a 65 inch LED TV but I'm finding quite a few of them have issues with vertical banding / grey screen effect.

I bought the LG 65SJ810V but there are two very visible vertical lines down the screen when the background image is the same colour. This is particularly noticeable when watching football (as screen is mostly green and same colour) and is very distracting. We have tried changing settings, turning on/off local dimming etc but it doesn't fix it.

We were told we could get a replacement but from reading online I'm worried a replacement will have the same issue.

Can anyone recommend a 65 inch which doesn't have this issue? Or is it the luck of the draw? Football is watched a lot at our home so it's quite important the TV doesn't have vertical banding as it just makes the image look dirty and is too distracting.

Many thanks!

As far as LCDs go there's a big variation but you'll find the best luck with tv's with VA type panels. Tv's like your LG use IPS panels so they let more light from behind than VA type. That's why you notice one area being brighter than another.

I would try the Samsung mu700x or Sony xe85xx instead.

Thank you, that's very helpful! Just had a look into VA vs IPS and IPS seems to be good for better viewing angles (which we don't need in our room!) and much worse for uniformity so will certainly look into replacing with a VA TV. Much appreciated as wasn't finding much information about vertical banding online.

Its funny - people say dont buy OLEDs because of banding and ignore you when you say that LCDs suffer this as well...

Now we have one worried about banding on an LCD - should we suggest an OLED? ;)

Hi guys i'm looking for a 55" 4k for a maximum of ÂŁ1000 i sit directly in front so not too bothered about viewing angles but am a bit worried about banding / clouding as my son has an LG770 and is clearly visible when watching football.

Do all sets have this problem?

I've been looking at the Sony 55xe8596 but don't know whether or not to sit on my hands and wait to see if the 55xe9005 will drop that last ÂŁ150 or so!

Is there a big difference between the two models in picture quality with the latter being backlit?

Thank you, that's very helpful! Just had a look into VA vs IPS and IPS seems to be good for better viewing angles (which we don't need in our room!) and much worse for uniformity so will certainly look into replacing with a VA TV. Much appreciated as wasn't finding much information about vertical banding online.
Its probably because vertical banding is a bit of a miss-used term. Banding itself is something completely different, so why people use vertical banding to describe this I am not sure.

The correct term is screen uniformity...and the effect you are noticing is dirty screen effect.

Its funny - people say dont buy OLEDs because of banding and ignore you when you say that LCDs suffer this as well...

Now we have one worried about banding on an LCD - should we suggest an OLED? ;)
Some people are more sensitive than others and there is a degree of luck no matter which panel type you go for, just some, generally are better than others. Screen uniformity generally on OLEDs is far, far better than LCDs as they don't have lights behind the panel. However is someone buys an OLED because they want better screen uniformity and are particularly sensitive to it, of course they also notice when their OLED panel isn't completely uniform!

Hi guys i'm looking for a 55" 4k for a maximum of ÂŁ1000 i sit directly in front so not too bothered about viewing angles but am a bit worried about banding / clouding as my son has an LG770 and is clearly visible when watching football.

Do all sets have this problem?
You are in the same shoes as the OP. LG TVs use IPS panels, a TV with a VA panel will generally perform a lot better in this respect regardless of whether its edge or direct lit.

Is there a big difference between the two models in picture quality with the latter being backlit?
There isn't really a big difference between edge lit models and direct lit models with screen uniformity anymore like their used to be. You may find generally the XE9005 has a more uniform screen and it does also come with local dimming to help eliminate lighter areas of the screen but there is a degree of luck no matter how much you spend in terms of how good the panel will be.

Short answer, save for the XE9005 if you use HDR, if not, don't bother as the XE85xx is likely okay.

Some people are more sensitive than others and there is a degree of luck no matter which panel type you go for, just some, generally are better than others. Screen uniformity generally on OLEDs is far, far better than LCDs as they don't have lights behind the panel. However is someone buys an OLED because they want better screen uniformity and are particularly sensitive to it, of course they also notice when their OLED panel isn't completely uniform!

My OLED does have some banding / non uniformity when you view a 5% test, but TBH I have to use the enhancement of an iPhone photo to really see it as without some form of enhancement its down in the noise level of my eyes at that light level. I certainly cant see it in any normal content, including snow, football, fades to white/black etc.

My OLED does have some banding / non uniformity when you view a 5% test, but TBH I have to use the enhancement of an iPhone photo to really see it as without some form of enhancement its down in the noise level of my eyes at that light level. I certainly cant see it in any normal content, including snow, football, fades to white/black etc.
Be a bit careful with the terminology used, there is a lot of misinformation out there which can make it complicated when discussing issues.

Colour banding and screen uniformity are two very different things, but people often call dirty screen effect banding..or vertical banding.

Colour banding is something completely different and relates to how well a TV displays one colour gradient to the next, its got nothing to do with dirty screen effect or screen uniformity.

Im confused about vertical banding on OLED tvs. I thought OLED TVs control each pixel individually. Doesn't that mean each pixel emits light (color) or goes black depending on the content? How could there be vertical banding in such technology?

Im confused about vertical banding on OLED tvs. I thought OLED TVs control each pixel individually. Doesn't that mean each pixel emits light (color) or goes black depending on the content? How could there be vertical banding in such technology?
Its the wrong term.

Banding is often used to describe poor screen uniformity, but its incorrect. If there are lines noticeable then all this is poor screen uniformity. OLEDs are actually a lot better than LCDs, but like with LCDs there can be bad and good specimens.

True banding (correct term) is when there are visible gradients between one colour than the next.

Here's an article about banding: Gradients on TVs: Color bit depth

and here about screen uniformity: Gray Uniformity of TVs: Dirty Screen Effect (DSE)

The thing I don't understand is online you'll see professionals refer to bad screen uniformity as "banding" or "vertical banding" but its not the correct term :facepalm:

I always preferred it when people called it posterization, now, calling it banding just confuses the issue.
It wouldn't confuse anything if people didn't keep using the wrong term for poor screen uniformity.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom