TV's with SOE?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by wangtastic, Mar 3, 2013.

1. wangtastic

wangtastic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Hope everyone is well.
    I recently had my 10 year old Sony amp go pop on me and decided to replace all my home theatre gear.

Now I can't help but feel my TV is the only "bottleneck" left in my system.

The TV I currently have is an LG M2762D TV/Monitor that I picked up secondhand for £150. It's great on features/connections but not so good on picture...and it's a little small.

So, I have decided to plump for a new TV. :)
    But I could really do with your help...

Now love me or hate me for this but I am actually somewhat of a fan of the "Soap Opera Effect" (in the right usage) so I'm looking for a TV that has some form of SOE.

I know that Samsung TV's with AMP give this effect, but all the TV's I can find seem to have CMR with no mention of AMP, will this give me the same effect?
    I've got a budget of £400, but obviously the less expensive the better :D

Looking for a 32" TV as that's the perfect TV for the distance and also the biggest TV our cabinetry can take.

Decent colours would be a huge bonus too, not sure what sort of TV's are best for this either.

And of course full 1080p.

LED is nice but by no means essential.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Steve

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    If you are looking for a 32" TV then LED/LCD is pretty much your only option. As far as reproducing a Soap Opera Effect this is generally shunned by most people on this Forum. Whilst not having a specific setting most LCD/LED sets can produce something like this with various combinations of picture processing controls switched on. It's just a question of trying things out to see which setting suits you. CMR is just another marketing gimmick and replaces AMP. Depending on the setting it gives much the same 'syrupy' effect which some people like for fast moving objects.

Although TV manufacturers see this processing and a 'feature' for potential customers when you look at posts recommending specific settings for individual models the general advice is to turn all this stuff to 'off'. I agree it does make cinema films appear a little more like older cinema presentations, but since most cinemas have digital projectors now it is not something people generally want. You should find plenty of models in your price range.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  3. wangtastic

wangtastic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response.

I know that SOE is a somewhat controversial topic, however that's what I love about these kind of things, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that jazz :p

Thanks for the info, looks like the best bet is going to be to go into my local RS and check out some TV's.