1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tvs with more than 1 rgb scart

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by crusty, May 18, 2002.

1. crusty

crusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any tvs with more than 1 rgb scart socket

2. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This believe the new Philips Pixel Plus (32PW9617) sets have 2 RGB connections.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony KV28LS60 and KV32LS60 also have 2 RGB Scarts and 1 S-Video Scart. The scarts can also be used as loopthroughs to the S-Video scart (so you can send input from one scart to another scart).

4. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    According to "Home Cinema Choice" this month, the new JVC AV28R25 has 2 RGB scarts. I've looked in the specification table of the JVC catalogue and it says that only 1 scart is RGB !???
    :confused:

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had that model - definitely only had 1 RGB scart... and that RGB scart wasn't worth being there anyway (but that's another story!)

6. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Well that's a bit naughty from a "leading" magazine. They even have a little photo of the scart sockets saying "RGB scarts? 2 out of 3 ain't bad".
    Apparently they pride themselves on their thorough tests of equipment yet they make this mistake.
    They also didn't mention any problem with RGB pictures. I'm not doubting you Squirrel. I had problems of dark patches on the WFT1 but never read this in any magazine review. In fact I don't think they ever notice this and other common problems that are highlighted by the best testers, that is us, the purchasers. I think it's about time they told us how poor TV's really are. But I suppose that would upset the manufacturers/advertisers wouldn't it! Thank god for Forums like this for unbiased opinions.
    I'm waiting for the new 32" JVC to come out but I'll be testing it in my local shop before buying - with an RGB source too!
    I'll report my findings on this forum accordingly.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's very naughty indeed! I guess there is a chance JVC could have changed the spec very recently... but even if they have, there'll still be loads of the 'old spec' ones out there, which would make it a bit of a lottery as to which one you got!

I'm beginning to believe that one of the problems with magazine reviews is that they don't spend a decent amount of time with the sets. It didn't even occur to me that the JVC had a dark RGB input because at first I was watching new DVDs that I'd just bought and had never seen before. It was only when I played some more familiar DVDs that I began to suspect something was up! And it was only when I did a little test by comparing the S-Video and RGB signals that my fears were confirmed :( I have found that it takes a good few days to get familiar with a set and notice all of the problems - I think the magazines are too busy writing down figures from their test equipment than actually VIEWING the TVs for extended periods of time!

However, you'd think that "experienced and qualified" reviewers would have such a good eye that they'd be able to spot problems with the picture immediately, wouldn't you?!!!

As the old saying goes, if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing yourself! There's just no substitute for actually going into the store and having a fiddle - you've definitely got the right idea!

Magazines are only good for getting an idea about the possible potential of a set. As you say, forum views and actual experience are essential for making any sort of purchasing decision.

Incidentally, one additional thing you might want to checkout with the JVC you're going to have a look at is the distance between the scart sockets! The AV28R25 made me mad because there was very little space between the sockets (which were vertical too :(). The RGB (DVD) scart was directly underneath the VCR scart, which meant that, once I had plugged the DVD scart in, I couldn't push the VCR scart all the way in because the DVD scart cable was obstructing it! Crap design or what???!!!! I had to make do with the VCR scart being 'almost in' and sitting at an angle!!!! :mad:

I've since bought a Pace DTA as well and that has a very bulky Scart plug (because the coax cable and the power cable both have to be plugged into the Scart plug) - so I dread to think the hassle I would've had trying to plug that in as well!!! I doubt I would've managed to utilise all 3 Scarts at the same time!!!

So I'd definitely advise you to take the Scart cables with you that you intend to use and make sure that they all fit at once!

Incidentally, how did the JVC come out in HCC? I would be very interested to see the scores - if it's not too much trouble :D

8. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Cheers for the info on the scart sockets. How much do the designers get paid?!:rolleyes:

HCC quotes:

Colour seperation - very good
    Geometry - Good
    Frequency response - Excellent

Highs - Picture, looks, price, sound- what more do you want?
    Lows - More flexibility with the sub positioning would have been nice

Picture - 4.5
    Sound - 4.5
    Features - 3.5
    Overall - 4.5 (all out of 5)

other quotes:

"theres a terrific crispness to overall presentation when you expand 4:3 to fill 16:9 screen."

"..colours are well saturated and vibrant, aided in no small measure by a fine contrast range that provides a potent true black well beyond the scope of practically any flatscreen competition at the £650 price point" (thats one way of describing a dark picture!!, Phil)

They also moan that there is no tilt facility on the 28" version.

"...dark areas of a picture can look a little too dark, with some detail getting lost in the blackness" (RGB problem!?, Phil)

They conclude by saying that the inclusion of a sub lifts a very good TV to a great TV and describe it as "the biggest TV bargain of the year so far".

Quite a good report as you can see. I'll judge for myself just as soon as the 32" arrives in the shops. (due in May). Very soon would be good as it's only 12 days to the big kick-off and there's no way I can watch it on the tiny portable that I'm currently using since I sent back a faulty 32" WFT1. I have to keep moving the sofa to about 3 feet from the screen and it looks ridiculous dwarfed by my speakers!

Hope this has been of some use to you ,
    Phil.

:)

9. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Loewe tv's have 2.

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too much obviously ;)
    Sounds about right, but geometry was "very good" on the model I had.
    Hhhmm. Guess I missed that then! ;) The panoramic function was excellent, however - most sensible I've seen so far. Only appeared to crop the picture minimally at the top and bottom so you could actually see the footie scores at the top of the screen!!
    If I remember correctly, the instruction booklet that I got with my 28" was the same instruction booklet they supply with the 32" and I seem to recall the booklet saying that there was no tilt function on the 32" either... Hhhmmm.... I wonder if they have indeed changed the specs :confused:
    This is absolutely spot on! It's a characteristic of the tube itself. It happens more on RGB than other inputs, but you can see it everywhere.
    The sub WAS indeed good - 40W RMS to boot! I do miss that bit of the TV :( One thing I will say though is that, when you turn the volume up to about 75-100% of maximum on the TV, the subwoofer causes the picture on the TV to shake a little bit. It's nothing major and you can only notice it when you look at a perfectly still image (e.g. a paused DVD image). It didn't bother me at all and I understand that this is a common problem with TVs that include a beefy subwoofer.
    Ah, hopefully they'll reprint the manual by then and add the tilt function! ;)
    Yes, thanks very much Phil! It's always interesting to look back in retrospect and see what the "experts" think of something you've had experience with :)

Good luck with your purchase :D