1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs with built in Freeview - A Question

Discussion in 'TVs' started by nheather, Oct 10, 2004.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,425
    Very basic question.

I live in an area with very marginal reception - if I put my postcode into the webpage that checks for coverage it says NO but I know of people who are using it.

I use Sky predominently so I'm not really bothered but if I do buy a TV with built in Freeview and I find that I cannot receive the signal will I still be able to view terrestial analogue - or is it a case of terrestial digital or nothing.

I know it sounds stupid buying something I don't really want but some of the TVs I am selecting based on more desirable features happen to have Freeview built in.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    IDTVs (Integrated Digital TV) have both analogue and digital tuners, so you will be fine if the digital reception is poor. I also live in a marginal area (can't get Channel 5 on analogue and reception on other analogue channels is not great, and my old ITV Digital box won't receive digital channels), yet my Panasonic IDTV picks up all the Freeview channels with no problems at all. I've found it useful to have Freeview even though I also have Sky - it means I have more choice of viewing if TiVo is recording something from the Sky box.

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Nheather,

The Freeview coverage prediction on the Web is deliberately pessimistic.

(It was felt better to give potential customers a nice surprise rather than cause disappointment.)

If your neighbours are receiving it then, unless you are very unlucky, you should have no problem.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Freeview predictor is total rubbish I am up to 3 houses near us told no - but were considering Sky due to this.

My Uncle they said no

Tourer park near Woolacombe - no

My house no (but was in Ondigitals)

As you can guess good DTTV reception at all sites.