1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tv's with built in dolby digital ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jubbly, Jun 22, 2001.

1. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone actually have a dolby digital tv and is happy with it ?

The reason i ask is i currently have a 25" pro logic tv and i was just about to buy a toshiba 32" widescreen tv with built in dolby digital and i would hope that i would notice the difference between this and my current tv considering that it is going to cost me £1500, or is DD not really much better than pro logic to the human ear ?

But after looking on this forum everyone is basically saying that they are all rubbish and that it is better to buy a separate amp and speakers.
    Is this really necessary, or would "normal" people find DD tv's sound quality really good ?

any advice appreciated

ta
    jubb

2. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dolby digital is VERY noticable to the ear. Its a seperate sound source per speaker while pro logic is a sterio sound source that is split.

Thing to bear in mind though is dolby digital is for DVD's only. If you dont have a DVD player then forget about dolby digital.
    And even if you do have a DVD player you have to use either 5.1 analogue in/outputs or digital connectors, but thats a different story.

If you dont have, and have no intention of, getting a seperate AV amp (which i would advise you to get) with a dolby digital/DTS decoder, then get a dolby dig tv.

Get a homecinemachoice magasine and read up about it all. Its very informative and fairly lamens in the explainations.

Hope this helps.

3. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its debatable whether they would sound better but one think i do know, as proud owner of the DTT3500, they volume of it will be either less or the same as a TV's output. I know this because I own a tosh TV with DD on it. It sound ok but a seperate AV amp has more punch and is more, je n'ce pas.

Trust me the DTT3500 wont be loud enough, unless your room is v.small (like my office is).

Oh yeah, if your TV has DD decoding on it it will have optical/digital inputs.

4. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which tosh dolby digital tv do you have and are you saying that dolby digital tv's are not very good.

5. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 36ZP18P, I love it. The sound is good but not as good as a seperate AV-amp. That is the case for all TV's and everyone on this board will tell you so.

6. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know if the toshiba 32zdo9b is any good ?
    I have read a few reviews that say the picture is not very good but it must be ok as it costs about £1500

7. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it has the new screen type in (i think its the same as the ZP) so its a matter of getting the right display settings.

Check out www.qed-uk.com for damn good prices and damn good service before and after.

8. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a tosh dd tv and i would say the sound id ok .

there are two main problems if you ask me

the first is the decoding and amplifcation in the tv . tvs tend to center around the picture and the sound tends to be more of an after thought . a lot like a pc sound card . it's just stuck in there to make the tv seem more apealing .

the second thing is the speakers . to get the best out of dd you need five full range speakers and a sub . with a dd tv you tend to lose a lot of the detail .

you would'nt think of playing you'r fave cds though you'r tv no mater how good the tv sounded

if you still want to get one though go and get one . a few people have been in this same position. the best advice i think is just to go out and have a listen. if you hear a dd tv and like it , think it good enough then it is good enough

i thought just the same way once "a dd tv is as good as anything" i now have a pioneer dd dts amp 6 speakers and two suds :D :D :D

9. jubbly

jubbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a ps2 which has pretty good dvd quality through s-video. It also has an optical digital out.
    Could i therefore just buy something like the creative labs dtt3500 or the videologic digi theatre and connect my ps2 to the decoder which comes with these and then get dolby digital 5.1 through my current tv or a new tv ?
    I know these speaker set ups are at the low end, but would they sound better than a dedicated dolby digital tv.

[ 22-06-2001: Message edited by: jubbly ]

10. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also like to say that; when i said in one of the previous posts about plugging in my external speakers, i didnt mean the ones that came with the tv. In fact the ones that came with the tv havent even come out of the box that they arrived in.

11. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Frustin, slightly of topic but could you tell me if the speakers and stand are packaged separatly or in the same box as the TV?. (36 Tosh) I am hoping to collect my set shortly and I want to be sure of collecting all the supplied bit's
    Paul

12. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the speakers were in the box but the stand was seperate. The stand is bloody heavy aswell.

13. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Frustin. :) :p