TVs that "disappear" or become less "obvious"

rossyl

Standard Member
Hi All

Samsung The Frame is effectively what I'm after. However, it's very pricey!

I've had a search and not been able to find much.

Are there any other TV's that aren't obviously TV's when you switch them off?

I recall TV's that look like mirrors, I must have seen one 15yrs ago, but they weren't very good as a TV as the screen was too reflective.

Thanks

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Samsung The Frame is effectively what I'm after. However, it's very pricey!
It's also not a very good TV and it's massively overpriced compared to its same spec "normal" version.

Newer LG OLED TVs have a similar feature AFAIK. They're not cheap either but they are good TVs.

rossyl

Standard Member
Thanks

The GX LG seems as expensive as The Samsung Frame, unfortunately. It seems the LG CX Series, although virtually the same panel as the LG GX, doesn't allow "art mode" and displays an error "No signal"

Seems manufacturers might've intentionally reserved this feature as a novelty for very expensive TV's

sagaris99

Thanks

The GX LG seems as expensive as The Samsung Frame, unfortunately. It seems the LG CX Series, although virtually the same panel as the LG GX, doesn't allow "art mode" and displays an error "No signal"

Seems manufacturers might've intentionally reserved this feature as a novelty for very expensive TV's
All the LG OLEDs feature Gallery mode iirc

sagaris99

Strangely enough, that exact video.

Go to 45seconds
The GX does not have this issue.
Forgive me, I'm clearly missing what youre after.

The video shows him clearly accessing the Art Gallery app, and launching into one of the slideshows. You can either download.more from LG, or import your own.

The GX will be exactly the same.

The standard background on all LG TVs running WebOS when no input signal is received is to show artwork with the 'No signal' box in front. This is the same on a 43 inch, all the OLEDs, all the way up to the 88Z9 or the 77WX.

What are you suggesting the GX does that the CX can't?

rossyl

Standard Member
Forgive me, I'm clearly missing what youre after.

The video shows him clearly accessing the Art Gallery app, and launching into one of the slideshows. You can either download.more from LG, or import your own.

The GX will be exactly the same.

The standard background on all LG TVs running WebOS when no input signal is received is to show artwork with the 'No signal' box in front. This is the same on a 43 inch, all the OLEDs, all the way up to the 88Z9 or the 77WX.

What are you suggesting the GX does that the CX can't?
Thanks I think it's likely that the YouTube video confused me.

I had thought that "No Signal" message a peculiarity of the CX.

If I have the TV plugged into an AVR, I'm guessing I need to keep the AVR on the whole time the TV is in "gallery mode"?

The Samsung Frame seems smarter. I'm not sure if the CX has a motion sensor to automatically switch on and into gallery mode.

Rudzki

I'm looking at the Samsung Serif, I really like the design and that has an "art mode" as the frame does.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Thanks I think it's likely that the YouTube video confused me.

I had thought that "No Signal" message a peculiarity of the CX.

If I have the TV plugged into an AVR, I'm guessing I need to keep the AVR on the whole time the TV is in "gallery mode"?

The Samsung Frame seems smarter. I'm not sure if the CX has a motion sensor to automatically switch on and into gallery mode.

Why - Just let the TV provide the audio. It won't be as good as the AVR but it's only wallpaper music.

rossyl

Standard Member
Why - Just let the TV provide the audio. It won't be as good as the AVR but it's only wallpaper music.
I wouldn't want any music. I'd want it to look like a painting. I'm not sure I understand this "No Signal" issue.

Unsure if the LG is actually capable of this, or if it will be at full power, experiencing screen burn.

The Samsung Frame is overpriced but seems better at functioning as a photo when in standby.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom