TVs: Risk vs Reward, Plasma/OLED vs LCD , where do you stand?

aoaaron

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar journey to myself.

About 8 or 9 years ago, I bought my first proper TV. I had to choose between a decent edge lit LCD or Plasma. I read about burn in, IR etc. and eventually chose a nice Samsung LCD. It was think, portable and decent. The backlight went within a year, had to get a replacement twice and the last one was.. okay. Anyway, that TV is still going today with my sister but I was never happy with it. It just didnt look like anything special PQ wise, although physically it was beautiful.

I regretted not going plasma but didn't due to IR/Burn in.

I then had the chance to get a new TV. I had to choose between a 55'' OLED or a 65'' Panasonic 902B LCD. I chose the LCD. It was had good reviews, amazing build quality and again, the risk of burn in/IR was too much.

First day I had it I noticed backlight banding. I googled around and people said its normal and a limitation of a FALD. I understood, agreed and could see it. I viewed it from the side and you could visibly see the honeycomb backlight. Then dark room performance I noticed a halo effect on subtitles. I saw down with my family and watched Beauty and the Beast. They marvelled at how beautiful the TV was, but I could notice a tiny bit of backlight banding ever so rarely on the set.

It was that feeling again of just not being 100% happy with it. With gaming, again due to the fast panning movements of horizontally moving ur joystick, its hard for ANY backlight to keep up with it and not show artifacts.

In contrast, our family plasma (my parents bought one with zero research) is just annoyingly flawless. I haven't ever bothered to check for IR/Burn in and given how much I abused it with my HTPC, I'm sure it has it. Its viewing angles are awesome and we've been able to situated it in our little lounge easily.

Finally I bought an OLED TV 55'' as a PC monitor. And again, I was just kind of blew away. Not at the IQ, or the black levels.. but just the level of annoynaces and faults and little bits of poor artifacting or images.. just aren't there compared to LCD/LED.

Has anyone else had a similar journey? I feel like I've prioritised longveity of a panel over quality for a long time. The risk of IR/Burn in is real and so high... but I can't help but feel for me in the past couple of years, the constant annoyance of knowing the PQ just isn't right is even more frustrating.

Inked

Distinguished Member
I’ve always had plasma TVs since ditching the CRT in 2006 (went through around 5 models in under 2 years as models improved), but when the time came to “upgrade” the 50PZ70 in our lounge I discounted OLED immediately due to the risk of uneven wear (burn out, rather than burn in that plasma TVs can suffer) due to spending a lot of time on PS4, and that it is still relatively early in its life cycle as a TV display tech so didn’t want an unknown quantity.

I also instead went for a 65DX902 and while it has suffered some banding (I initially went through 5 exchanges it was so bad) and I’ve also had the panel replaced twice due to faults.

However, I still feel it produces a picture as good as my plasma in the main living area (50GT50, which incidentally also had banding when purchased, but it has completely disappeared over the last 7 years)

Hopefully one day we will get to a point where OLED is as reliable / hardwearing as later Plasma TVs (my GT50 has no screen burn, just gets minor IR of left on a static screen for too long, but which clears almost immediately).

Until then I honestly can’t see me moving to OLED any time soon as the issues are still there 3 years down the line. I do love OLED as a tech (have it on my wrist and on my phone), but feel that it is still more suited to smaller displays. It may be that Micro LED is mainstream before I get the chance to move to OLED.

aoaaron

I’ve always had plasma TVs since ditching the CRT in 2006 (went through around 5 models in under 2 years as models improved), but when the time came to “upgrade” the 50PZ70 in our lounge I discounted OLED immediately due to the risk of uneven wear (burn out, rather than burn in that plasma TVs can suffer) due to spending a lot of time on PS4, and that it is still relatively early in its life cycle as a TV display tech so didn’t want an unknown quantity.

I also instead went for a 65DX902 and while it has suffered some banding (I initially went through 5 exchanges it was so bad) and I’ve also had the panel replaced twice due to faults.

However, I still feel it produces a picture as good as my plasma in the main living area (50GT50, which incidentally also had banding when purchased, but it has completely disappeared over the last 7 years)

Hopefully one day we will get to a point where OLED is as reliable / hardwearing as later Plasma TVs (my GT50 has no screen burn, just gets minor IR of left on a static screen for too long, but which clears almost immediately).

Until then I honestly can’t see me moving to OLED any time soon as the issues are still there 3 years down the line. I do love OLED as a tech (have it on my wrist and on my phone), but feel that it is still more suited to smaller displays. It may be that Micro LED is mainstream before I get the chance to move to OLED.

Ahh fair enough you went the opposite route to me! 😂😂

I’m too old now to wait for people to refine technology. I’ve realised I’m 29, not getting any younger.. so I’d rather just buy now rather than wait for my panel to last a couple of more years. I know that sounds silly ...

The 902b is a nice tv. I love mine but sadly it’s soooo easy to push it to its limits and reveal the flaws of its fald.

Oled and plasma just feel so natural and and so much less hassle. Especially plasma.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
The ideal TV setup is a plasma for broadcast TV and an oled for movies.

swiftpete

I’ve got one of the early oleds. It’s been going years. Zero problems. Wouldn't worry about getting another.

televisionuser

Novice Member
A decade ago these forums were filled with arguments regarding plasma vs LCD. People were arguing that plasma TVs were not full HD and therefore inferior. The HD hype was unbelievable. People were raving on about how good their Sony LCD's were at the time. Sony were one of the first manufacturers to completely stop producing plasma TVs and moved solely to LCD. Unfortunately their marketing hype managed to turn people away from plasma and pretty much destroy the plasma industry. I know they say that plasma TV's were too expensive to make but they deserved to be more expensive considering how good they are and I'm sure they could have found a way to reduce energy consumption. LCDs are okay for anything static but they just don't give off a natural image.

Over by there

OLED is just too good for my eyes, streets ahead of the others (personal choice and all that). No issues but I would buy another in a flash.

Muddy Funker

I'm happy with my 65" nu8000.

Until every time I go into costco and see the oleds.

I appreciate they'll be on a loop that shows them at their best but the picture just looks incredible. Those blacks, damn.

The next upgrade for me even though I've only just upgraded will be oled.

Well when I can get a 65 for a grand 😂

Top Bottom