1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs on standby

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tman, Aug 19, 2002.

1. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I have always been one to leave my TV's in standby mode when not in use, except when we go away for an extended period.

I have done this with all my CRT TV's I've owned, and never had a problem. I now have a plasma tv, and intend to do the same. Is there anything I need to be aware of for these screens in standby mode? I think mine (Panasonic TH42PW4) uses about 2W of power in standby. Seams resonable to me. I'm more concerned about extra wear that may creep in though, it being a different technology to CRT's.

I know some will talk about the fire risks leaving things on, but I think if there was any danger at all, these devices wouldn't have standby modes! They have to all comply with safety regulations to be sold in this country after all.

Any opinions?

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't own a plasma (maybe in 2 years though ^_^) but I'm with you basically. I leave TVs on standby but turn them off if I'm away for a few days. I shouldn't imagine that it would do any harm to do the same with a plasma but there are people out there that like to turn everything off if its not in use.

I guess that as long as you're sensible with the hardware it shouldn't have any long term effects. Nothing has happen to my sets thus far and I'm sure nothing has happened to yours. Maybe someone else has a different story?

3. androidgb

androidgb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure ? I don't know for sure but that sounds very low to me.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    2w sounds about right.

5. Ripco

Ripco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Id think twice about leaving any TV on stand-by after a work mate was off work for a while after smoke inhalation. Yes his tv was only about 4 years old and he used to leave it on stand by until that fateful night when YES it burst into flames and set his house on fire. This was also not a cheap make tv. BEWARE! You have been warned, expect the unexpected. Yeah I know it will never happen to you! He he.