TVs & Monitors for Series X/S Discussion

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Seems a lot of discussion in other threads about upgrades of TVs or Monitors for X and S consoles.

Thought this would be a good starter thread for that discussion/suggestions.

Anyone have a list of current TVs that would handle 120hz for the new consoles?

Would love to upgrade my lounge TV but budget would be tight.

M_Infinity

Standard Member
I'd like to know to too, I do have a nice OLED LG BX model tv which I bought last year, but it's hdmi 2.0, don't really want to stump up another 2k for a new tv this early so will probably go with a monitor for the Series X.

mudshark

Distinguished Member
I have an LG 65CX so I am good to go. PQ is phenomenal

Last edited:

psikey

Distinguished Member
I can highly recommend an LG B9 or C9. Full 2.1 HDMI ports for 4K/120 (and G-Sync on NVidia 2000/3000 series cards if PC gaming too).

Have been purley for gaming on PC & console. Simply stunning picture.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
I can highly recommend an LG B9 or C9. Full 2.1 HDMI ports for 4K/120 (and G-Sync on NVidia 2000/3000 series cards if PC gaming too).

Have been purley for gaming on PC & console. Simply stunning picture.
Do you worry about burn in With the PC, I play a crap load of Warcraft and I reckon the UI would be a nightmare for it

psikey

Distinguished Member
Do you worry about burn in With the PC, I play a crap load of Warcraft and I reckon the UI would be a nightmare for it
It's a concern yes but I also have an older C7 that does now have slight screen burn after 3 years mostly from BBC News 24 banner and its only really noticeable if your looking for it. Supposedly less chance with newer models.

If your £1K+ investment needs to last over 5 years I'd say look elsewhere. I'd likely change every 5 years anyway.

Was gaming on a ASUS Rog Swift 1440p/165Hz G-Sync (still have) but no going back from a 4K OLED with HDR. If you have to have the fastest screen response for competitive first person shooters then the 2ms monitor is still best.

Here's a photo of it playing Control at 4K/60fps with RTX on. No monitor can match 55" of glorious HDR OLED

20200918_203013.jpg

Last edited:

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
It's a concern yes but I also have an older C7 that does now have slight screen burn after 3 years mostly from BBC News 24 banner and its only really noticeable if your looking for it. Supposedly less chance with newer models.

If your £1K+ investment needs to last over 5 years I'd say look elsewhere. I'd likely change every 5 years anyway.

Was gaming on a ASUS Rog Swift 1440p/165Hz G-Sync (still have) but no going back from a 4K OLED with HDR. If you have to have the fastest screen response for competitive first person shooters then the 2ms monitor is still best.

Here's a photo of it playing Control at 4K/60fps with RTX on. No monitor can match 55" of glorious HDR OLED

View attachment 1368844
I have a B9 and I must say it’s stunning and when my PS5 comes I guess it will look even better, I’m torn for my new man cave I’m going 75 inch for a tv and an oled is a huge amount at that size, other TVs not so much but I will have to see what would be best for pc console gaming and films as I want Dolby vision as well, qled with and adapter to get DV seems the way forward but if oled 77 can drop down to £2500 it would be a no brainier.

Indiana Jones

I've had my eye on a new TV for a while now, a Panasonic TX58HX800B from Richer Sounds, and as it's gone down even more in price since it came out earlier this year, it's very tempting to take the plunge.
However, it does say in its specs that it's only HDMI 2.0.
Isn't the Series X 2.1?
What difference does it make?
Big one would be the ability to do 4K/120fps.

I've had my eye on a new TV for a while now, a Panasonic TX58HX800B from Richer Sounds, and as it's gone down even more in price since it came out earlier this year, it's very tempting to take the plunge.
However, it does say in its specs that it's only HDMI 2.0.
Isn't the Series X 2.1?
What difference does it make?
that Panasonic isnt the best its edge lit and doesn't actually say whether its an IPS panel or VA. a better tv than the panasonic would be the sony xh90 as when i gets a firmware update that will have 2x HDMI 2.1 sockets it FALD and got a VA panel

JusR23

I've just pulled the trigger on a LG CX6 to go with my Series X. Been debating on getting a new TV since I got my One X when they were first released (yes it taken me that long). Had to stretch the truth with the Mrs but also said I wouldn't get a new iPhone this year.

daymouse

Distinguished Member
I've just pulled the trigger on a LG CX6 to go with my Series X. Been debating on getting a new TV since I got my One X when they were first released (yes it taken me that long). Had to stretch the truth with the Mrs but also said I wouldn't get a new iPhone this year.
Haha what was the stretchy truth? Might use that one myself about not getting the iPhone this year! 😂

JusR23

Haha what was the stretchy truth? Might use that one myself about not getting the iPhone this year! 😂
I told her the Series X was 4K only and it wouldn’t work with our current TV...I’m going to hell 😂

that Panasonic isnt the best its edge lit and doesn't actually say whether its an IPS panel or VA. a better tv than the panasonic would be the sony xh90 as when i gets a firmware update that will have 2x HDMI 2.1 sockets it FALD and got a VA panel
What’s the difference between IPS and VA?
Looking for something of similar size and price range(I was tempted when the linked TV was £999).

Indiana Jones

What’s the difference between IPS and VA?
Looking for something of similar size and price range(I was tempted when the linked TV was £999).

Does the LG BX do 120hz ?
Yes it does.

lee1980

I have LG C8 65" and its not quite 2 years old so will not be upgrading yet, guess its on HDMI 2.0, what difference will it make really?
I will be mindful of leaving it on paused etc of course, if anything like the 4k films these games will look and sound amazing from Xbox series x.

daymouse

Distinguished Member
Do you think with the advent of these consoles this is going to push the TV manufacturers to get 120Mhz TV's out quicker and maybe actually start advertising them as "Fully Xbox Series X/PS5 Compatible".

I feel like we are at a big turning point or jump in technology for gaming consoles where the existing equipment in homes isn't good enough to take full advantage like it has been the past generations and so most consumers don't realise to take full advantage they need a TV with 120Mhz and need a 2.1 HDMI cable etc.

See, this is why I get stuck when it comes to TVs.
I’ve got a 10 year old, 50”, 1080p Pani plasma.
I’m looking for an affordable, 55”- 58”, 4K HDR TV.
I’ve always had Panasonic so I know they’re decent.
Just looking for some recommendations.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Do you think with the advent of these consoles this is going to push the TV manufacturers to get 120Mhz TV's out quicker and maybe actually start advertising them as "Fully Xbox Series X/PS5 Compatible".

I feel like we are at a big turning point or jump in technology for gaming consoles where the existing equipment in homes isn't good enough to take full advantage like it has been the past generations and so most consumers don't realise to take full advantage they need a TV with 120Mhz and need a 2.1 HDMI cable etc.
Hopefully as this gen with the mid gen refresh might of pushed more 4K TV's into homes and seeing as you can only buy a 4K TV now then hopefully it pushes the same for those features.

lee1980

Even if got a newer LG OLED, I suspect I would also need to upgrade AVR capable of HDMI 2.1 to!! dohhhh.
Think will have to go with as is for a while now as only got C8 in 2018.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
I have the Panasonic 65GZ950, I'm sure I'll need to now change the HDMI cable.

Although at the moment I have it all connected to ARC, my Xbox One X, Sky Q and Apple TV all pass through the Sony HT-ST5000 Sound Bar, then 1 cable (think I heard him say high speed) goes to the TV.

Does anyone think I will have to change anything, and am I getting the full benefit of the signal going through the Soundbar?

daymouse

Distinguished Member
That's the other thing! It comes with a 2.1 HDMI but chances are it won't be long enough for a lot of people due to TV's being on walls etc so do longer 2.1 cables even exist yet.

daymouse

Distinguished Member
That's the other thing! It comes with a 2.1 HDMI but chances are it won't be long enough for a lot of people due to TV's being on walls etc so do longer 2.1 cables even exist yet.
Just had a quick look while on a meeting and they do exist and looking around £20 for 3 metre

Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett