TV's: Is it possible to access video stored on local network?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by whimsical, Aug 30, 2012.

1. whimsical

whimsical
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,
    Not sure if this is "smart TV" functionality or not (obviously I havent got one yet and I'm a bit in the dark regarding all the gadgets). I'm soon to start rewiring my home (data/satellite/electric etc) and was wondering about future proofing connectivity.

Is it possible to access files on a PC/server/nas via a smart TV? I was contemplating copying over the dvd collection to a shared network hard drive for convenience. Not sure if this is possible

If so, what sort of connection would I be looking at? Would it work via ethernet or would it be USB?

2. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    I am not up on Smart TV tech but my guess is that you probably can't or if you can it is limited.

You can use something like a Dune or Popcorn Hour to do this though. I have owned both and would highly recommend a Dune running Yadis, depending on the model you buy it would replace your DVD/Bluray player and also be able to access any networked media via a very nice 'media wall' interface with all movie imagery and data scraped from the net.

I have a 20Tb unRaid server located in my office allowing access from multiple locations (Dune Players) around the house via Ethernet. If you are running cables I recommend Cat6 and use decent cable and terminate it well.

Adam :)

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    It obviously depends on the TV. One thing I have found though is the format support isn't as flexible as a dedicated streaming device. I don't have a SMART TV but friends do and they can access content from NAS etc. over ethernet and a hard drive connected via USB.

Obviously you could add a streaming device as above e.g. appleTV, wdtv, popcorn hour, boxee box or a small PC. There are a few people that have installed XBMC for example on those Raspberry pi machines and there are small devices that run Android that could be hooked up. The streaming devices forum and obviously TV forums are your best bet. I use a home built PC as my living room HCPC and an Acer Revo (set to wake on Lan) in a second room.

If I could start again, I would love to run cat6 all over the house.

4. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Yes, dependent on what formats the TV excepts though there is server software that helps, I have Twonky on my WD world book, Serviio media server gets recommended a lot in the TV forums, USB I'm not so sure about but it should allow you to play say a film copied to a USB memory stick...

Curly

5. whimsical

whimsical
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many many thanks for the advice folks. Certainly points me in the right direction and gives me a number of options.

Thanks once again

Vince:)