TV's inbuilt freeview going into an amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Noted, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Noted

Noted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

So I have a Panasonic TV and just bought a Sony STRDH820 amp/receiver. I wanted to know if there was a way to put my TV's inbuilt freeview through the amp? I can get the audio fine from the optical audio output, but its annoying having to switch to the TV on my TV remote. Surely there is a way to connect the video to the amp?

Thanks

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,871
    The only output option would be that of the analogue SCART, this in turn would need conversion from SCART to composite in order to facilitate a video connection to an AV amp .It serves no purpose to route the video from your TV to the amp. What would the amp do with the video other than output it back to the TV???? You'd also only be able to output analogue video to your amp from the TV meaning it would be lower quality in comparison to the digital Freeview signal the TV is receiving. You'd still need to change the input on the TV to accept the HDMI output from your amp and in doing so then the Freeview tuner is no longer in use so no Freeview signal would be going to an AV amp via the any output.

If wantin a switching solution then you are better catered for with a learning remote such as one of Logitech's Harmony remotes. Such a remote would facilitate the automatic switching of all components in relation to associated activities.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    "I can get the audio fine from the optical audio output, but its annoying having to switch to the TV on my TV remote. Surely there is a way to connect the video to the amp?"

I confess that I might be a little dense, but I don't quite understand what you are saying.

Why would you need the VIDEO to go to the AMP? AMPS are audio devices, why would you need to send Video content to it?

Surely since the TV is both the signal source and viewing source, it already has the only video that is needed.

Again, I confess, I may be completely misunderstanding the situation.

Are you trying to redirect the video to some other recorder or display?

Steve/bluewizard

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,871

He wants to avoid having to change his TV over to the Freeview channel manually, but as I explained he would no longer be using the Freeview tuner if outputting to the amp and using the amp's HDMI output to the TV. Besides which, he'd be creating a signal loop if it were possible to do as he suggests.

If he gets himself a Harmony remote then an Activities macro will switch the input for him as well as configure every other device present accordingly.

AV amps have video switching capabilities as well as being audio amplifiers, but in this instance those switching abilities are of no use.

The only other option is to not use the TV's own internal Freeview tuner and purchase a standalone STB Freeview tuner. Connect a Freeview STB to the amp and it will switch to Freeview when you select the appropriate input on the amp and will then continue to use the same HDMI input on the TV without need to alter anything on the TV itself.

So there are 2 options available that can facilitate what the OP wants to do, but neither of which are what he initially suggested and both will cost him money ;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  5. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,532
    As Dante points out, your TV has to be switched to the TV so that it can receive and process freeview channels, since setting the TV to TV actually means "watch freeview". Usually the channel selection buttons do this automatically.

If your unidentified Panasonic TV is a modern HDMI 1.4 TV (like your amp), then connecting via HDMI, enabling CEC (aka "Control for HDMI", "BRAVIA Link" , "BRAVIA Sync", "VIERA Link") and ARC throughout, and correctly configuring it on both devices as per the corresponding manuals, will allow automatic feeding of the audio from the TV to the amp, automatic switching of the amp to the TV and conversely (when selecting TV from either remote), unified volume control (TV remote control will actually alter the amp's volume and the changes to the amp's volume will be displayed on the TV), common power-on/off switching (can usually be disabled separately) and all other function unification to ensure the two devices appear as though they were a single unit.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012