Tv's for Gamers!

Griff85

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a guide anywhere on here/the internet with a guide to the best Gaming LCD TV's?

I ask because in the "what lcd to buy" forum, Questions about gaming TV's seem to come up more often than anything else!

Perhaps someone could come up with a guide or a list of the top Gaming TV's to save all those topics being made?

Here's a list from GamesRadar
Panasonic TH-42PX80
Price: £690
The first benefit to gamers of Panasonic's 42PX80 is gratifyingly obvious as soon as you look at it. It’s big. Around 42" big, to be precise. And there's no doubt that having a bigger screen really can give you a gaming edge, especially with racing games, where being able to spot that upcoming hairpin from as far away as possible is critical to nailing a perfect lap.
What's also great about the 42PX80 is that it gives you so much screen acreage for so little cash. We can't think of another TV out there right now delivering more bang for your buck.
The fact that the 42PX80 is a plasma rather than LCD TV is significant too, since it means the screen doesn't suffer with that slight smearing effect over fast movement that plagues so many LCD TVs. The use of plasma technology also means the TV can produce deeper, more natural black colours than most LCDs, which is seriously helpful when trying to spot horrors lurking in dark corners during something like Dead Space.
The only real downside to the 42PX80, in fact, is its native resolution of 1024x768. This means the set can't show HD games at their native resolution, and so while they still look HD, they don't look quite as detailed and pin-sharp as they can on the best full HD (1920x1080) resolution TVs

Samsung LE37A656
Price:
£790
Initially, we guess, the LE37A656's numbers don't seem to stack up. After all, at 37" across it's 5" smaller than the Panasonic 42PX80, yet it's more expensive. But look deeper and the price actually becomes very reasonable.
For starters, the TV looks a million dollars in its unique 'touch of colour' bodywork, which finds a tinge of red suffused into the immaculately polished bezel. More important for gamers, though, is the set's provision of four HDMI sockets when most TVs today still only carry three or less. This means die-hard gamers can attach both a PS3 and an Xbox 360, and still have two HDMIs left for, say, a Sky HD receiver and a Blu-ray deck or DVD recorder.
Also beneficial to HD gaming is the TV's full HD resolution of 1920x1080, which means even the highest resolution HD games can be shown pixel for pixel without any messy resizing processing.
Then there's the set's 100Hz processing, which doubles the screen's refresh rate so that when you pan around a game environment, the picture looks less blurred and smeary. The 100Hz engine is very fast too, so you don't have to worry about it causing a significant delay in your pictures reaching the screen.
Finally, the set carries a really excellent 'Game' picture preset, which, if selected, adjusts various aspects of the picture, including the screen's response time, to optimise it for console gaming.
Toshiba 32XV505DB
Price: £490
If our 42" and 37" contenders are just too big for you, Toshiba's 32" 32XV505DB could be just the ticket. For starters, the fact that the 32XV505DB manages to cram a full HD pixel count into its 32" frame while costing just £490 makes it outstandingly good value.
That full HD resolution naturally proves very handy in ensuring that the HD delights of PS3 and Xbox 360 games are reproduced with exceptional clarity - especially as we've found that Toshiba's proprietary Active Vision LCD video processing helps bring out detail exceptionally well without causing the dreaded lag problems.
Also great for gamers is another clever game mode, which in this case effectively opens up a 'direct line' between your console and the screen, cutting out as many intermediate processing stages as possible.
On the downside, the 32XV505DB isn't the best TV when it comes to showing dark scenes, leaving some of the subterranean levels of Gears of War 2 looking a bit greyed over and flat.
But this really doesn't seem too severe a price to pay considering how much good stuff you're getting for so little money

And according to Cnet australia
Sharp LC32D53X

We quite liked the Sharp LC32D53X as a whole, and with many other 100Hz televisions causing more problems than they fix, it was good to see something less intrusive and pleasing to the eye.

Panasonic VIERA TX-32LXD80A

The Panasonic VIERA TX-32LXD80A is a strong performer for the price in terms of picture quality, but it's let down slightly by its lacklustre sound

Samsung LA46A950 (9 series ??)

The Samsung LA46A950 is without a doubt the best LCD television we've seen up until this point and proof that the technology has some fire left in it yet.

Sony Bravia KDL46W4000

The Sony Bravia 46W4000 offers exceptional image and sound quality at a reasonable price

Samsung LA40A650

The Samsung LA40A650 is a very good all-rounder which particularly shines in high definition, but it's facing some talented competition.

Last edited:
I like the way games radar say that the 1080p resolution on the Samsung is an advantage as there's no 'messy resizing' considering that it will have to upscale practically every console game on the market (I'm not quite sure about PC games) which will introduce all sorts of dodgyness! They also suggest the 37" version, which uses an inferior panel to the 32" and 40" equivalents.

In terms of black level and input lag the best there are the Panasonic PX80 and Sony W4000, shadow detail is greater on the PX80. You should bare in mind though that they're all from last year, and the models names from cnet are different as they're not UK models

I currently game a 40" Bravia and sometimes I feel it's too big for gaming as even at HD resolutions, "jaggies" on some games are very noticable (the cars of GTA4 are particularly bad in my eyes)

If I was buying a set specifically for gaming I think I'd be looking at one of the 1080p 32" sets from Sony or Panasonic.

I like the way games radar say that the 1080p resolution on the Samsung is an advantage as there's no 'messy resizing' considering that it will have to upscale practically every console game on the market (I'm not quite sure about PC games) which will introduce all sorts of dodgyness!

Actually, upscaling 720p contents to 1080p is better than upscaling them to 768p (with 2.5% over-scan)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...y-1080p-panel-better-720p-content-source.html

They also suggest the 37" version, which uses an inferior panel to the 32" and 40" equivalents.
yes that is true, but it's another story with Panasonic

In terms of black level and input lag the best there are the Panasonic PX80 and Sony W4000, shadow detail is greater on the PX80. You should bare in mind though that they're all from last year, and the models names from cnet are different as they're not UK models

Pretty much all of 2009 panasonic PDP and LCD have excellent input lag, which is why I recommend them for gamers.

I currently game a 40" Bravia and sometimes I feel it's too big for gaming as even at HD resolutions, "jaggies" on some games are very noticable (the cars of GTA4 are particularly bad in my eyes)

If I was buying a set specifically for gaming I think I'd be looking at one of the 1080p 32" sets from Sony or Panasonic.

Did you have the X360 set to 1080p and the sharpness on to the set to 0

Plasma's are the best then?

no all of them and it depends on your usage.

for example, if you'll be playing HALO 3 for hours on end (everyday), then no, PDPs aren't for you.

Plasmas have their pros and cons, as do LCDs, both of which are pros and cons for gaming. Similarly both of the technologies are improving on their cons (and their pros) so nobody can really say which is best, personally I prefer plasma though.

Did you have the X360 set to 1080p and the sharpness on to the set to 0

Yes - some games are fine at that resolution, but GTA4 seemed particularly on both 360 & PS3. Some games are better than others but I tend to notice it most on the edges of guns on shooters and the edges of cars on racers - but it does all come down to the game being played.

I would say that the extent of jaggies etc...you can see should be largely determined by your viewing distance as well, a 40" screen would be appropriate to the right distance, as a 32" and 46" set would be more appropriate for smaller and larger distances respectively.

I have noticed some jaggies on GTA though, particularly on cars, on most TVs, including the lot; 720p and 1080p LCDs and plasmas

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom