TVs Digital Audio Out (Optical/coaxial)

jamct

When TV manufacturers compile their specification data, why don't they state whether or not the digital audio out is capable of DD 5.1?. In subsection CONNECTIONS or INPUTS/OUTPUTS JACKS we usually just get 'x 1'.

Not until I purchased my current Sony KD-49XF9005 and read the User Manual stating on the specs page did I read:-

'Digital optical jack (Two channel linear PCM 48kHz 16 bits, Dolby Digital, DTS).' This shows up as DD Pro Logic on my amp display. (DD5.1 is also indicated by a bright blue LED Bar when I watch a program via my Virgin Media V6 STB).

At present I am considering upgrading to a 55" Panasonic HZ1500 or HZ2000 OLED and neither of the TVs specs state that DD5.1 is available via he optical out connection. I am presently waiting for Panasonoc support to answer my enquiry about this matter.

Finally does any TV model provide DD5.1 via Optical output?.
Edited to clarify the query.

Last edited:

Researcher

As far as I am aware, all TV digital audio is 5.1 capable. That is why it is there and on my DX902 it certainly is.

You can often find the user manual online so can check in that.

I don't think that any TV will output 5.1 sound via two outputs at the same time.

jamct

As far as I am aware, all TV digital audio is 5.1 capable. That is why it is there and on my DX902 it certainly is.

You can often find the user manual online so can check in that.

I don't think that any TV will output 5.1 sound via two outputs at the same time.
I didn't mean ' two outputs at the same time'. I was indicating that owners of modern amps can get 5.1 via a HDMI connection rather than the 'optical' cable which in my case only outputs PCM (Pro Logic) as specified in my Sony user manual.

jamct

I have now downloaded the HZ1500 User Instructions and it confirms that the Digital Audio Optical output is DD5.1👍.
Reseacher, thanks for the suggestion to check.
I still wonder why the TV sales spec data doesn't include this information.

gibbsy

Optical cable is restricted to a maximum of DD 5.1 lossy. eARC HDMI is capable of Dolby Digital Plus and any associated Atmos metadata when broadcast (Sky, Prime and Netflix use DD+). It is also capable of passing HD audio. eARC will only work when all connected equipment is eARC capable.

jamct

I have now downloaded the HZ1500 User Instructions and it confirms that the Digital Audio Optical output is DD5.1👍.
Reseacher, thanks for the suggestion to check.
I still wonder why the TV sales spec data doesn't include this information.
Panasonic Support has now replied to my enquiry and confirmed the HZ1500 & HZ2000 Audio Digital Optical out connection decodes DD5.1.😃 ( As I previous noted on the downloaded user manual.)
I still think the specification data listed on all the stockist's websites should state the fact.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What you also have to be aware of is differences between the TV Tuner/Streaming Apps > Optical Out and TV HDMI Inputs > Optical Out - some TV’s will support Outputting DD5.1 from the tuner/streaming apps but only accept 2.0 via the HDMI Inputs.

Ideally your TV is not ‘decoding’ if you want to pass the bitstream to your AVR.

Joe

jamct

When an amp receives a signal from a TV's audio digital out optical cable, does the amp DECODE or ENCODE as I do not know/understand the difference ⁉:confused:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you set the TV to LPCM the TV is doing the decoding - if you set the TV to Bitstream the AVR is doing the decoding.

Joe

jamct

If you set the TV to LPCM the TV is doing the decoding - if you set the TV to Bitstream the AVR is doing the decoding.

Joe
Is your post a reply to my previous post as it does not explain the difference between 'decoding ' & 'encoding'?.

When I view TV programs via my Virgin Media V6 box with my amp connected by an optical cable I get an encoded ?/ decoded? DD5.1 output. However I only get PCM Pro Logic encoded? / decoded? from my Sony TV.
My previous query still awaits an answer.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
None of your devices ‘encode’ - the encoded audio arrives within the broadcast signal and your devices either pass the encoded audio forward unaltered in a Bitstream (for the next device in the chain to decode) or the device decodes the audio and forwards it as PCM to the next device in the chain.

From your description of what you see indicated on your AVR your TV is decoding the Tuner signal and sending 2.0 PCM to your AVR whilst your Set top box is forwarding a 5.1 Bitstream for the AVR to decode.

Joe

jamct

Great, I now understand the meaning of decoding etc. Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom