1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV's center speaker help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Korben Dallas, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need one last bit of info before going out and spending every penny I have on an amp and a sub. I have Toshiba 48PJ6DB rear projection set. Now this has a massive center speaker. I was wondering if it was possible somehow to make that the center speaker used when using the DD 5.1 , 6.1 modes from the amp. In the manual it says " in order that the center speaker is used , you must now set switch to the EXT as shown"
    I assume this means for using it with the exteranl speakers that came with it for the surround sound modes. Is there a modified scart available that will deliver the video and center speaker signal only to the TV and then I can hook up the speakers to the amp. Or another way of getting this if it is possible as I will have no money left for a while.

Don't know if this is any use but the amp I am getting is a Yamaha RXV630RDS . The sub I'm stuck between 2 choices yet.

One last thing. Maybe stupid but here goes anyway.
    The yamaha amp I want I believe has a 75 w output for the speakers and the ones I have have the stats

Fronts left and right

nominal impedance 8 ohms
    power handling 60 wrms

2 rears

impedance 8 ohms
    max power 25 w

Are my speakers not powerful enough and will get fried . Or do amps have something that can set it so it doesnt go beyond what my speakers can stand. Like I say maybe stupid question but it's one or two i had to .

thanks in advance

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can probably do this, but it will most likely require the use of a custom lead - if you can't do these yourself, places like Keene Electronics can make them up for you.

Depending on how you connect up though, and what connections are available, it may mean it only works with the DVD - it may not work with other sources such as VCRand SKY/cable etc.
    Again, it's possible to work round this as well, but it's getting ever more complicated.

There are other reasons you may not want to do it as well though.
    The TV's centre speaker may not match that well with the speakers you have chosen for front Left and Right, and this may give an unsatisfactory frond soundstage.
    Without hearing the results, it's impossible to be specific, so we can only talk about what's likely!

So, yes you can do it.
    No, it's not as straightforward as it seems - and may entail spending a not inconsderable sum on custom made leads, and it's unlikely to give great results.
    Your choice though!

What main speakers are you using BTW?

As for the speakers not being rated high enough for the amp - it depends how high you drive them (and how sensitive they are) At moderate levels you will most likely be OK, but drive the system a bit and you may well find the rears (at least) struggling
    a bit.

Probably not what you wanted to hear - sorry!!

3. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speakers I am using are the ones that came with the TV . " small rears and 2 large floor standers. So I'm not bothered about if it will not match as there all the same . Thanks for your help anyway

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Korben

If you can afford it, I strongly suggest you look to buy a separate set of speakers. I've just sold my Toshiba TV (same model) and frankly the "centre" speaker is poor.

As for how you can achieve what you've asked, set the TV to "EX" as described, but without attaching the speakers. Then just run your speakers from your amp for 5.1. Unfortunately what I don't think you can is to use your amp to drive the TVs internal centre speaker.

So you'll have the amp running all the channels except the centre, which the TV will do.

The effect of this will be that the centre speaker is vastly imbalanced compared to the rest of the set-up - I don't think it will integrate well.

However, you may still need to do this short-term, due to funds. If you set it up and like it well hey! - ignorance is bliss as they say.

The only other thing I would suggest is perhaps popping into Richer Sounds and buying a cheap centre speaker (can get them for £40-£50 I think). It still won't necessarily integrate well with the rest of your system, however I'm sure you will find it better than the TVs centre.

Failing that, centre speakers sometimes come up in the classifieds forums, although quite often as part of a complete package for sale - have a look, you never know what might come up.

5. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been checking out richers website . I think I will have to go out and buy a whole speaker package. Seen Mission Cinema 72 Package for £280 ish . Don't know what these are like but it will be more value maybe than getting a center and then maye 2 new rear speakers

6. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fwiw I rate Mission speakers very highly, great sound (similar sound to B&W) build quality can be a little dubious in places tho.

If don't want to spend very much atall I don't think you could do better than Mission 700 series.

7. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the mission 700 and they are £49.95 . However I don't think they are magnetically shielded. Will this not be a problem.
    Could I just not buy 3 pairs of these for £150 in total then use all 6 speakers as fronts , center , 2 rears and a center rear. Or will that not work

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Korben

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but unshielded speakers only affect CRT TVs.....being rear projection, it doesn't matter a jot.

9. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Taht would be great assuming you can cater for an upright standmount in the center. IMO you could just buy 2 pairs skipping the center :p <dodges rotten tomatoes>

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Smurfin but rear projection TVs are heavily affected by magnetic fields, I can't have my sub within 2 feet of the telly because the convergence goes crazy. The advantage of rear projection though is that once affected if you remove the offending speaker/sub the screen returns to normal whereas standard crt TVs may require a degauz.

The thing with the rear pro is that the lamps are situated at the base of the TV so magnetic fields at the top of the TV are fine. I have 2 large floorstanders right next to my TV but there is no problem because the magnets are at the top of the speakers and the lamps for the TV are at the base of the TV, sneaky aye :)

P.S - Any comments made about the pink background will not get you invited to my Xmas party this year :p

11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    oh hang on...it's a different TV to my old one. I thought you meant the centre speaker "within" the TV cabinet.

The speaker on top of the TV....just connect it to your amp as normal:D

Or am I missing something obvious here?

Cheers
    Smurf

PS Nice walls.....;)

12. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno what you're talking about m8, I'm only responding to the statement you made about unshielded speakers not affecting rear pro tellies :)

Oh and another thing : IT'S NOT THE WALLS, IT'S INSULATION

:D :p

13. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Ok now I'm completely lost....

14. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit like last week then :D :devil:

15. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was referring to the center speakers in the tv cabinet , Anyway it seems I will just have to buy a speaker package like mission 70 which is £280 for fronts , rears and a center as well as getting the amp and the subwoofer. Which leaves me broke for quite some time . Thanks to everybody who responded to my questions .

16. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    LOL!

Well crtbob who's buying your B+W is coming via Cambridge first to buy my Strata II.....I will warn him how bad your directions are!!!!;)