TVs/BD players that can play really HQ video files via USB HD

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by AcerBen, Nov 18, 2017.

1. AcerBen

AcerBen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So of course most TVs and DVD/BD players these days allow you to plug in a USB stick or HD and play video files off them. But the ones I own struggle with really large videos - HD .mkv and .ts files.

My LG 4K TV can cope with some of my regularly downloaded videos, (about 7 mbps / 2 GB total size), but I do have some really large ones with a bit rate of over 30 mbps, up to 50GB total size which it will refuse to play - obviously it doesn't have the power to play such a HQ video. They work absolutely fine on my laptop so nothing actually wrong with the files. Of course I could convert them but that'd take a lot of time and don't want to lose the quality!

My Samsung BD player (decent enough make but was very cheap!), can't even play the 2 GB files.

Does anyone else watch really large video files on their TV and any suggestions on what I can use to do so? I have tried connecting my laptop via HDMI, which used to be fine on my old HD TV, but for some reason the video lags on my 4K one, and in any case I prefer to use a remote control to flick through.

Finally, what really annoys me about most TVs I come across is that there isn't usually the option to zoom in on 4:3 picture, cutting the top and bottom off. The reason I like that option is because I have a lot of letterboxed music videos on my HD. What's that option called and any any tips on TVs that offer it?

Thanks

2. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,248
    What you really need is a good networked media streamer. You're always going to run into issues with video or audio formats with a TV or BD player.

A good streamer such as a Nvidia Shield TV, one of the more recent MiniX models (U9?) or the Vero 4K will play pretty much anything you can throw at it. Give you a nice GUI using Kodi to organise your movies and a remote for playback. You can also alter the picture in menu.

There's loads of reviews onsite for various models - Reviews | AVForums

3. AcerBen

AcerBen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd completely forgotten about those android boxes. I did try a really cheap MX a couple years ago but it kept freezing or crashing so I sent it back. Perhaps I need to get one of the more expensive ones. I guess you get what you pay for. I'll have a look at the reviews, thanks!

If anyone can recommend one that will definitely play videos of up to 50GB file size with no issues, and you can zoom in on 4:3, that'd be really helpful

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,338
    Have a look at the TV reviews over at flatpanelshd.com - they test playback of various file types and bit rates when they test every TV.

But if you want flexibility yes an external box is going to be better.