1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs and magnets don't mix...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by davepuma, Jan 13, 2005.

1. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,478
    Hi,

My brother has just phoned me to tell me his delightful 4 year old was playing around with a magnet near his nice new widescreen tv and has duly mucked the screen up. :oops: Short of getting a repair man out with a wand, how long (if at all) would it take for the screen to fix itself?

On another note, my Toshiba TV has a mucky screen which is particularly noticeable with white/light backrounds. No one else notices it but me. Would that be down to some sort of magnetic interference? I do have 2 large floor standers either side but they are 2 feet away and are 'supposed' to be magnetically shielded. However, the picture isn't green/blue/red but it's mucky as if there is dirt behind the screen. Is there any way of fixing it? Luckily I have an extended warranty! :)

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First, the purity of the picture should return after a few degausses, but make sure the switch off/on is at least five minutes apart to allow the degaussing circuit to cool down otherwise it won't work. If that doesn't work, which would be unusual but not entirey impossible then it will need the big wand to clear it because they have much more powerful magnetic fields than the degaussing coil fitted to TV's. If in the very unlikely event that fails as well then the magnet the 4 year old was waving in front of the TV has somehow managed to permanently distort the shadow mask and that means a new tube! The latter is almost unheard of so don't panic too much.

Second, the ZD26...I think there's threads on here about this TV and poor purity. Have a search and see what you find. If I recall many reported problems with poor white performance so you will be in good company. Unfortunately there are no fixes for it except a tube change, and if the set's out of guarantee then that's a real expensive day out for a 36"

3. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Magnetism, I'm afraid doesn't always (as Laurel&Hardy says) go away just by switching the set on and off and relying on the deguassing coil.

I recently bought a brand new Panasonic from Currys, with external speakers as part of the set. After putting the centre speaker on top of the set (as the instruction book clearly indicated!!) I got a purity problem patch (greenish patch in the top right) - to cut a long story short this was caused by the centre speaker not being magnetically shielded properly - when you moved the speaker away a bit, the purity patch got a little better but not much. So, under the warranty, an engineer came up and used his deguassing wand on it - all seemed good for a couple of hours afterwards, but - despite moving the speaker away - the patch came back and could not be repaired - hence I had to have a new set (which also had problems with "dirty screen" issues -so I got my money back - vowed never to buy Panasonic again and got a nice Sony from an indepedent dealer which I am very happy with!)

So sadly it might not be able to be fixed by a deguassing wand either - however, fingers crossed for you that it can be..

As for your "dirty screen" problem - do you notice this on panning images? Say on a panning snow scene image? Looks like static grey patch as the camera moves???

This is exactly what I had (as mentioned earlier) with the second Panasonic - it was so distracting (although my wife didn't see what on earth I was on about!!!!!) that I got my money back... Unfortunately "dirty screen" issues can affect widescreen CRT tv's 32" and over -some brands/makes handle this better than others - I even have a touch of it on my new Sony 32" CRT - but - it is very, very slight and I am not bothered by it. It normally is not caused my magnetic interference, no, so if under warranty, I would call someone up about it

Hope you get both issues successfully sorted out

Paul

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,478
    Cheers for the info folks, I will pass it on. I think the damage has more or less cleared.

As for my TV, muchos gracias etc, I will look into it. I got a 5 year warranty with the TV for free cos' of naff delivery, so I should be okay.

Thanks again for the advice.

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, if you care to read my post I said it SHOULD clear the problem, it doesn't always work. However, this is unusual because magnets alone can only cause permanent distortion of the shadow mask if left there for long periods of time, not just waved over the set.

If your impurity came back after the wand removed it then it would suggest to me the degaussing coil was either not dressed properly or not functioning as it should. Normally they can clear most magnetically induced shadow mask distortions after just one burst, but occasionally it does take a few goes to get rid of it.