1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs all the same if you have digital?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by finnis, Dec 26, 2003.

1. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Without wishing to alienate too many of you on here, I have a genuine question which I'd be interested to hear your views on.

I've been researching what sort of 28" widescreen TV to buy in the £400 to £800 price bracket for some time now and have found the information and expertise on this site incredible.

With that in mind, I'd kind of narowed my choices down to a few: JVC 28R25, Sony FX68, Panasonic PS1, with the Sony being favourite due to the low level of criticism I found on here compared to the others.

However, I went and had a look in John lewis the other day and wasn't exactly knocked out by any of the TVs on display bar some of the LCDs and two conventional sets (apologies for not knowing the techie terms).

Turned out that both of these had integrated freeview tuners and the results were that they stood out a mile from all the other TVs running off analogue signals.

So my question is: apart from making sure you've got the correct number of Scarts and other features which are important to your individual needs, does it really matter what TV you buy if you have digital input? Or put another way, if - like me - you're only interested in having three scarts, decent quality sound and a good looking piece of kit, is there any big advantage to spending £800 over £400 apart from a better brand name?

Hope you experts out there don't think I'm too much of a luddite, and I really would be interested to hear your views.

2. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is most TVs only have analog inputs (e.g RF, Composite, S-video, RGB, etc), and I don't think one single CRT set has a digital input (e.g DVI).

Freeview blows away normal analog terrestrial broadcasts, and IDTVs skip a D-A conversion because the picture goes straight into the sets internals without having to be outputted through scarts, etc.

Spending alot of money on a TV set will give many benefits:

i) more inputs (extra scarts, etc)
    ii) better build quality
    iii) better inputs (e.g componant)

other people will no doubt be able to add more, but the extra money can be well spent.

One thing I don't understand about the sets you are looking at, is that you have two low budget sets (R25 and PS1), and another which costs about £500 compared to about £350-£400 for the others (the FX68 is more in line with panasonics PS12 than the PS1).

Rich

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Plus the normal TVs on disply are probably sharing a RF signal so it will be very degraded. Big stores just cannot seem to display TVs propely.

4. finnis

finnis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In response to phenom2003: the honest answer is that I wanted a budget-ish TV as an interim for 18 months or so before buying a plasma when the prices fall to within my budget. Then read a few horror stories on here about the PS1 and R25 and saw some good reports on the Sony and no negatives. Think I'd like to go for the R25 but don't want to end up with a lemon!