tvLink RF power not arriving - any suggestions as to how to fix?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by alistaln, Mar 21, 2006.

1. alistaln

alistaln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I'm living in a new apartment that has been fitted for Sky+ and a redistribution to the other rooms. I've just connected a tvLink and I can't receive a power signal to it down the RF. I'll describe the setup and would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer :)

All cables terminate in a junction box in the utility room. The junction box is shown in these pics (identical except for the resolution):

Large pic (1MB): http://www.lowe-norris.com/images/RF-connections.jpg
    Small pic: http://www.lowe-norris.com/images/RF-connections-small.jpg

Eight cables:
    • Three cables run to the lounge.
    • Two cables run to the shared dish.
    • Three cables run to each of the bedrooms (one cable to each bedroom).

The two feeds come into the box and then are connected directly out to two of the cables running to the lounge where they go into the Sky+ box. These are the looped cables top left and bottom left of the pic.

The return RF from the Sky+ in the lounge comes into the top of the splitter and distributes the signal to the three feeds from the bedrooms that connect to the splitter at the bottom.

I *can* watch Sky in all the rooms - so the RF signal is retransmitted fine.

I have gone into the installer menu on the box and enabled the RF signal as stated in the instructions. To test the tvLink, I plugged the tvLink directly into the return RF in the back of the Sky+ box: the light on the tvLink comes on, and it works with the remote :)

However, if I plug the tvLink into any of the RF outlet wall sockets in the bedrooms, no light comes onto the tvLink :(

My guess is that the power signal comes fine down into the top of the splitter but then the splitter cannot retransmit the power signal that's needed to power the tvLink? :confused: Do I need to replace the splitter with a three way amplifier of some sort that can transmit the RF power signal (one with digital bypass)? To be frank, I've got no experience with this stuff so I am only guessing.

Suggestions appreciated? :lease:

Alistair.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    The problem could be the wallplates if they are of the "isolated" type.
    The easiest way to check them is to unscrew one and measure with a voltmeter the cable coming down the wall...look for 9v on the centre conductor of the coax...if it is present just replace the wallplates with "non-isolated types".
    If the 9v is missing it is probably the 3w splitter...again you could replace it with a non-isolated type or a 3w aerial distribution amp which has "Digital Bypass" or "Skylink Compatible" in its specs.

3. alistaln

alistaln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Thanks for that. I can see specs for the splitter here: http://www.satsol.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?itemno=A73220. It says:

"TRIAX STS3: This device is a three output signal splitter. Frequency range is 5-2300MHz. DC passing up to 1A. The insertion loss is 7.5dB per leg. Screened unit for digital TV, fitted with type F Connectors."

Does this "screened unit for digital TV" mean the same as the isolated issue that you're talking about with the wallplates?

Al.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    No, that won't be the problem as it states "DC passing up to 1A" which means it can pass the 9v DC.:smashin:
    I would check the wallplates.

5. alistaln

alistaln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    OK, it all works now but the answer was weird.

Using a test meter, current was coming to the splitter and no further. However, taking a look at the splitter photo again and the arrows on it for DC passthrough seemed to go the wrong way :eek: 9V coming in on a test meter and none coming out. Try swapping cables the other way through the splitter and it's fine. In other words it passes DC from the three into the one...well what a great splitter :rolleyes: So I can have 1:1 if I want DC or I can have 1:3 if I want RF TV signal only, but no DC...

So then we got signal all the way through the wall plate and to the tvLink. Interestingly, I had no idea that the tvLink has an orientation and it only works if you connect it one way round. Anyway, having got the orientation right, all is now well.

Of course I now need a 3 way splitter that does pass DC the right way down the 3 way split. As I need to do this anyway, is it worth getting one that also amplifies the signal? I'm guessing that it can use the DC power for the amplification and not need a 3 pin plug to run it?

Thanks for all the help here.

6. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    No, none of them can be powered from the 9v out of the RF2 outlet...it only supplies [email protected] I believe, just enough to power the TV link.
    You would need a mains powered amp.

7. alistaln

alistaln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Brillig. Well that solves the problem. I'll just go for a splitter as the signal seems fine without boosting. Unfortunately - and perhaps it's just my misunderstanding here - the splitters I keep looking at seem to all have the arrows pointing back to the single input. :confused:

Take this for example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/f-type-4-way-...oryZ4693QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Or here:

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr226.html

I need a 3 way splitter that also distributes the DC in the same direction. Am I looking for something that isn't a splitter any more in that case? Perhaps what I'm looking for is something like the SLX4CF (with F-connectors) instead of the splitter as from this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2646082.

What am I missing? :confused:

Al.

8. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
  9. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The Global Amps F120 (2 Way) and F140 (4 Way) can be powered straight off the 9v output of your Sky box and pass power on down to the eyes.

It is only the 8 way and 16way amps they make that need the extra boost of power.

The majority of splitters you will be looking at on Ebay and the like will be for Cable tv rather than traditional TV. Whilst they should work find, they probably will not pass power and the arrows from 3 to 1 will be for the return path signals Cable tv needs. Not the same as the IR control signals.

HTH

Chris