TVlink plus

Sepherzz

Novice Member
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a tv link plus to control my virgin cable box from upstairs. I know it needs to be powered separately using an amplified splitter. But could I use, my SLX distribution amp to power the tv link plus?

I currently have my Loft aerial going into my V box (not V+) and out of the V box and into the distribution amp which then spreads off 3 ways.

So could I plug the tv link plus unit in before the V box goes into the distribution amp and then put magic eyes (via splitters) before the cable goes into each of the three tv's?

So that being, the distribution amp provides the power for the tv link plus unit.

Also I use F connectors + splitters to split my aerial cable.

Hope it makes sense!

Cheers

p.s My amp has a bypass for magic eyes :smashin:

Ben

I'm looking at getting a tv link plus to control my virgin cable box from upstairs. I know it needs to be powered separately using an amplified splitter. But could I use, my SLX distribution amp to power the tv link plus?

AIUI, it works the other way around, i.e. the PSU from the tvLINKplus can be used to power your amp aswell as itself. Assuming your amp is a 2/4 way model & can be powered via it's RF input, then you might be able to use your existing PSU with the tvLINKplus instead of your amp (Assuming the input voltages on both units match). Failing that, it's only about a fiver or so for the tvLINKplus PSU anyway :)

So could I plug the tv link plus unit in before the V box goes into the distribution amp and then put magic eyes (via splitters) before the cable goes into each of the three tv's?

Yep. You're probably aware, but you don't need to buy seperate splitters - one is supplied with each tvLINK unit :)

Also I use F connectors + splitters to split my aerial cable.

Not quite sure what you mean by this, perhaps you can explain a little further-?

Just to add, not sure which STB you've got, but this setup will not work with the Pace 1000/1010/2000 or Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4000/4200 - as they use IrDA, rather than normal IR :suicide:

Sepherzz

Novice Member
Thanks for you reply, couple more questions :D

AIUI, it works the other way around, i.e. the PSU from the tvLINKplus can be used to power your amp aswell as itself. Assuming your amp is a 2/4 way model & can be powered via it's RF input, then you might be able to use your existing PSU with the tvLINKplus instead of your amp (Assuming the input voltages on both units match). Failing that, it's only about a fiver or so for the tvLINKplus PSU anyway :)

Where do you get these PSU's from? Is there a certain name for it?

Not quite sure what you mean by this, perhaps you can explain a little further-?

I meant that when I split my aerial cable, I use F connector ends and splitters. Like what virgin media use when they split your modem and cable signal from one cable.

Just to add, not sure which STB you've got, but this setup will not work with the Pace 1000/1010/2000 or Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4000/4200 - as they use IrDA, rather than normal IR :suicide:

I have the Samsung SMT 2110C box. So thats ok?
You say Scientific Atlanta's, are they the V+ boxes?

And how the hell do you use that multi quote button? I know I've multi quoted, but it was just some copy and paste tricks lol. When I press the multi quote button it just hightlights itself, would be handy to no how to use it :lease:

Cheers

Ben

Where do you get these PSU's from? Is there a certain name for it?

A PSU is simply an (external) power supply unit, or often referred to as a 'power brick'. You normally buy one at the same time as you buy the tvLINKplus - see the various £20/£25/£30 options here for example. If you've already bought the tvLINKplus without a PSU, you can just check the input voltage on the unit & buy a universal one to suit :)

I meant that when I split my aerial cable, I use F connector ends and splitters. Like what virgin media use when they split your modem and cable signal from one cable.

Should be fine. I'm just wondering where/why you've split your aerial cable & how it's relevant to what you're trying to achieve here? (Sorry, it's probably me just being thick :suicide:)

I have the Samsung SMT 2110C box. So thats ok?

Yep :)

You say Scientific Atlanta's, are they the V+ boxes?

The Scientific Atlantas I mentioned are just standard STBs. Scientific Atlanta also make the V+ (the Explorer 8300), but funnily enough it uses normal IR, so if you decide to upgrade to this later it should work fine :)

And how the hell do you use that multi quote button? I know I've multi quoted, but it was just some copy and paste tricks lol.

Just click/highlight the posts you want to quote, then click "Post Reply" & it will multi-quote for you. It won't, however, individually quote multiple paragraphs from one post - as you & I have done. You were right to use copy & paste for that ;)

Sepherzz

Novice Member
A PSU is simply an (external) power supply unit, or often referred to as a 'power brick'. You normally buy one at the same time as you buy the tvLINKplus - see the various £20/£25/£30 options here for example. If you've already bought the tvLINKplus without a PSU, you can just check the input voltage on the unit & buy a universal one to suit :)

Haha I know what a PSU is! I just wondered about model number thats all. But I know what I'm looking for now :smashin:

Should be fine. I'm just wondering where/why you've split your aerial cable & how it's relevant to what you're trying to achieve here? (Sorry, it's probably me just being thick :suicide:)

My SLX distribution amp can take an FM signal as well as a RF signal. So when I've come out of my distribution amp and headed to the TV, I've put an F-connector on the end... plugged it into a splitter and then plugged another bit of cable into the splitter and run to the TV. Therefore if I add an FM aerial, I just need to link onto that splitter and run the cable to stereo/amp for FM radio. Therefore I'll do the same if I get a magic eye :smashin:

Just click/highlight the posts you want to quote, then click "Post Reply" & it will multi-quote for you. It won't, however, individually quote multiple paragraphs from one post - as you & I have done. You were right to use copy & paste for that ;)

Ah I wondered where I was going wrong, I felt stupid for asking but it was bugging me :rotfl:

Thanks for your help! Never knew a cabled solution was out for Virgin Media STB's, I thought it'd have to be a video sender or an IR blaster. I always envied the magic eyes used on the Sky system.

sheppy124

Novice Member
They are designed for sky and all the information for setup points to sky, however can be used with any rf solution as long you have separate psu for the tvlink for the blasters and eyes to work. I have a tvlinkplus sat next to my freeview box which has rf out on it, t140 amp in the loft splitting it off to two different locations, works a treat, far better than the wireless senders I used to use have, no interferance from microwave, router etc and the pictures pretty good as well. The only problems I had to start off with was that I had to rewire my coax connections, as were shorting out the dc voltage, and replace a tv wall plate I had, as that was cutting off the voltage, for an non-isolated one. Another plus they look alot better than having a big black box sat around as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom