TVIX-HD M6500A Network Media Player(M6500A)

rhubarbe

Banned
Seems I just went mad and bought one of these from ww.digitalconnection.com

TVIX-HD M6500A Network Media Player(M6500A) - $379.00

You have to be a registered customer to get it at that price. Otherwise it's $399.

ETA 22/12/2007.

vipergrm

Seems I just went mad and bought one of these from ww.digitalconnection.com

TVIX-HD M6500A Network Media Player(M6500A) - $379.00

You have to be a registered customer to get it at that price. Otherwise it's $399.

ETA 22/12/2007.

Don't you mean this one?

http://ww.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/tvixm4110sh.asp

$379 seems way too cheap for the 6500 and I didn't even think it was out yet. Have you ordered it to the UK? How much is delivery/customs charges etc?

Thanks

vipergrm

Wow! I can't believe that it is only $379. I thought it was going to cost a lot more. It also supports HDMI 1.3. Wish I'd known about that before I ordered the M4100-SH. Ah well :smashin:

lookatbowen

Novice Member
Hi All,

I joined Rhubarbe's mad club and bought one as well. I've just had enough of reading all about these media streamers and what they can do and not have one for myself. I want one regardless of the bugs, because I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. It's just a pity it doesn't have a DVD drive. But in the end I bought a cheap Toshiba SD-270E for my basic DVD needs.

So call me nuts, but for £200 or whatever the exchange rate is at the moment, it's still a lot cheaper than £345.00 / Euro496.80 (Including: VAT at 17.5%) that some British sites are selling them.

And if it's got bugs, which I bet it does, because I know it's not perfect, then I will quite happily tell you all about it in this forum. There seem to be a lot of good people on these forums and MPC Club that are willing to make this device work no matter what, and I will gladly be one of them.

It can only be better than the crappy Windows Media Center that I have at present.

Roll on 22/12/2007... :thumbsup:

rhubarbe

Banned
And there was me about to chicken out and buy the EVA8000 instead. :eek:

Second thoughts I'll stay with this and see how it goes. I just know it's going to be 1mm too tall for my AV rack. :(

You have MCE, too? I spent a fortune and hours and hours speccing one up and building it only to find the noisy beast won't play anything.

lookatbowen

Novice Member
Well I have an Xbox 360, which acts as a media extender to Windows Media Centre on my pc. I've tried both Windows XP and Windows Vista Media Centre and it just can't do multiple streaming. I have to use a transconder application to play DivX, Xvid, and can only view one at a time!!! - A real pain the in the bum!

Tomorrow Microsoft Introduces support for Xvid, DivX, but I want to get away from using the PC PERIOD!

It's good for games, chatting to friends, playing arcade games and that is about it IMO.

Hey! well, I am not backing out now!!! :hiya:

rhubarbe

Banned
I trust you requested shipment by USPS? UPS charge a fortune in Customs Clearance on top of the VAT. USPS transfers to Parcelforce here and their charge for clearance is eight quid.

Just did a mental swapover in my AV rack and it'll fit now just so long as the cables are long enough from my processor to my amp when I have moved the processor up a shelf.

lookatbowen

Novice Member
Well I don't have the UPS Sign thing they were talking about (Checkbox was left clear)... I am not quite sure how that will work to be honest.

I will be home after the 22nd December so any delivery coming to my home address should be fine, even with Parcel Force!!!

Where is the USPS option? I didn't see that as an option. I will have another look tonight!!!

I don't see the USPS option at all on the website. They only appear to use UPS (See Shipping Page).

I emailed Sales and asked them.... hopefully they can reply and let me know (You've made me paranoid now!!!).

rhubarbe

Banned
Well I don't have the UPS Sign thing they were talking about (Checkbox was left clear)... I am not quite sure how that will work to be honest.

I will be home after the 22nd December so any delivery coming to my home address should be fine, even with Parcel Force!!!

Where is the USPS option? I didn't see that as an option. I will have another look tonight!!!

I don't see the USPS option at all on the website. They only appear to use UPS (See Shipping Page).

I emailed Sales and asked them.... hopefully they can reply and let me know (You've made me paranoid now!!!).
The last time they sent me a shipping quote (when I placed my last order) it was on there as an option.

bigbearh

Standard Member
The last time they sent me a shipping quote (when I placed my last order) it was on there as an option.

I ordered one as well :) but got a quote for the shipping > $68.47 USD with UPS World Wide Express (1 - 2 days) OR $66.10 USD with UPS World Wide Expedited (2 - 5 days)
Using the USPS postal calculator Global Express Guaranteed®1 - 3 Days $70.00 but reading further they use fedex. :confused:

Another point I suppose it is ok for uk Voltage and is the same unit as the europe one?

lookatbowen

Novice Member
bigberth,

you beat me to it.

Thank you for shopping with Digital Connection.
> The shipping charge to United Kingdom for your recent order(back order) is:
>
> $68.47 USD with UPS World Wide Express ( 1 - 2 days)
>> OR
>
> $66.10 USD with UPS World Wide Expedited (2 - 5 days)
>> Please respond to this e-mail if the rate is acceptable, your order
> will be processed in a timely manner.​

So by the looks of those prices, it is better to go for the first option... a lot quicker!!!

Mike

Matt Horne

Using UPS means you should work out your overall cost as :

($399 + $68.47 ) + duty% (not sure what this would be) + 17.5% (of the total) = final price

So as a guess say duty is 5% (no idea what the real duty percentage is for media players)

( £200 + £35 ) + £11.75 + £43.18 = 289.93ish

So alot cheaper still than buying in the UK...

I'll keep an eye on this as I have the 4100 and will wait and see what extra benefits the 6500 brings other than a metal faceplate :)

rhubarbe

Banned
Yes, for some reason they dropped the USPS offering. USPS may not have been cheaper per se but as it transfers to Parcelforce over here the clearance charges are a lot lower than for UPS.

Power supply question: if you read the spec at DVICO (which I would have thought anybody considering buying one would have done) you'll see that the power supply is 120/250VAC 50/60Hz.

vipergrm

I just bought the 4100 over the weekend. I might have waited if I I saw this thread first. I think the main benefits are the new Sigma chipset and the fact that it supports HDMI 1.3 (which should support HD sound). Like others, I cannot wait for a review ;)

rhubarbe

Banned
Don't forget the aluminium front panel. :D

I plumped for the 1-2 days service which means it would arrive from California to UK Customs by Christmas Eve. I don't expect it before the New year as it'll be going to my office address.

lookatbowen

Novice Member
You mean to tell me you also used UPS 1-2 day service after telling me to use the USPS service ;)

I am expecting it to arrive on my door step on Xmas Eve... although to be honest, can't see it happening until after Xmas, because I know how rubbish Parcelforce can be!!!

If you expect the worst, you can be pleasantly surprised.

bigbearh

Standard Member
Power supply question: if you read the spec at DVICO (which I would have thought anybody considering buying one would have done) you'll see that the power supply is 120/250VAC 50/60Hz.

I must be looking in the wrong place because i can't find any info on the M6500A apart from the main advert which states 'Internal Power 90~240V Free Voltage' whatever that means.

Could you post a link to where I can find the info.
Thanks

rhubarbe

Banned
90-240V means that you can use any voltage between 90 and 240. In the US they use 120, here in UK we use 240. So you're OK to use it whether you live in the US or here.

rhubarbe

Banned
You mean to tell me you also used UPS 1-2 day service after telling me to use the USPS service ;)

I am expecting it to arrive on my door step on Xmas Eve... although to be honest, can't see it happening until after Xmas, because I know how rubbish Parcelforce can be!!!

If you expect the worst, you can be pleasantly surprised.
I'm only using UPS because that's all they were offering. UPS will deliver your parcel here in the UK. You only get Parcelforce at this end if they use USPS at their end, which they aren't. UPS are very efficient but also expensive.

iwilson16

Standard Member
Hi,

Can this playback DVD's that have been ripped and stored as .iso files?

Also, has anyone compared this media player with the Pixel Magic MB100?
i.e. a broad list of pros and cons for each?

I currently have the MB100 ... the quality of the picture is great, but the
software, user interface, and remote control arent great, so would like
to replace it.

Thanks,
Ian

rhubarbe

Banned
I haven't got time to make you a big list, I am afraid, but let's just say that I had a PMS MB200 and I sold it after a week, and I am buying one of these.

This has the newest Sigma Chipset EM8635 (PMS is EM8621 I think).

Yes, it plays .ISOs.

lookatbowen

Novice Member
Rhubarbe,
I see you have experience of a lot of media players. Why have you tried so many? It must be quite pricey to buy all this hardware only to flog it a week or two later?

Well Xbox 360 was updated last night, and I can now play DivX and Xvid, although had to download an extra update from Microcrap.com - A major CON is that it doesn't support anything larger than 4GB, so USB HD is going to be a problem.

I wonder why no other sites have this M6500A? Is it made in the US or not?

Burned

Novice Member
Rhubarbe,
I see you have experience of a lot of media players. Why have you tried so many? It must be quite pricey to buy all this hardware only to flog it a week or two later?

Well Xbox 360 was updated last night, and I can now play DivX and Xvid, although had to download an extra update from Microcrap.com - A major CON is that it doesn't support anything larger than 4GB, so USB HD is going to be a problem.

I wonder why no other sites have this M6500A? Is it made in the US or not?

Can the 360 stream media?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021