TViX about to die

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by DesignerJohn, Feb 6, 2014.

1. DesignerJohn

DesignerJohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All

I have been using the really excellent TViX Slim S1 for many years now - no complaints and plays everything I can throw at it - Audio is passed through to my sony decoder via HDMI - perfect

However, it is acting up after our little one decided to push it off the cabinet - made a loud bang and has not worked properly ever after. I have replaced the HD but obviously something has been damaged internally.

My first choice was to just get a new TViX but it seems the company no longer exists.

So - the question is - what is a good replacement?

I prefer to make up my own movie sheets (use Thumbgen for that), like to have movies in genre folders with their own folder icons. The player will not be on the internet so needs the capability to have a large HD and additional drives added. Needs to play anything and everything from ISO through to M4V and MKV's with various encoding methods. Play all the HD audio fomats - better to use pass through so the sony decoder can play them.

Is it better to make a small XBMC or look at stand alone systems - Dune, Mede8er, Popcorn etc. I have looked at XBMC but the interface is a bit more clunky - the skins are okay, but do more than i need and i can't use the movie sheets that I have already generated.

There you go - not asking much and probably been asked many times over - Personally I would prefer a stand alone box, but what do you lot think?

2. Willosy

Willosy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another TVIX owner (M-6600A with TV tuner) here looking for a replacement. Slowly dying, no more support/firmware.

I'm looking for something that does the following:

- Direct playback of media files over network from SMB/CIFS not only via DLNA
    - Record / view Live TV
    - Scrapes media info - No dependancy on 3rd party tools like Tvixie

I like the look of the WDTV Live but no live TV. I would really like combined.

Cheers

Willosy

3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,128
    No-one does movie sheets other than the old Sigma/Realtek systems, things like XBMC are extremely flexible and can be made do all sorts of things, lots of skins have different presentation modes.

There are also apps for XBMC (e.g. Tiny Media Manager) that serve a similar function like Thumbgen, they generate specific coverart data that XBMC uses instead of it's internal media scraper.

Your best option for HD audio in XBMC right now is an Intel NUC, there are some cheaper options due soon (like the Lenovo Beacon) but how well they work isn't known, the NUC is a proven platform combined with something like Openelec an XBMC appliance linux OS.

The Arm/Android XBMC devices either dont do HD audio bitstreaming and/or 24Hz.

Other than XBMC the media player scene is dead, you still have the hangers on in the form of WDTV, Dune, Mede8er and Popcornhour, the Mede8er is the same hardware line as the Tvix Slim S1 (Realtek) so if you want to stay with that then the Mede8er is probably your last chance.

The WDTV got some sort of live TV via a firmware update and USB adapter but thats as much as I know.

XBMC can do TV but not directly, it requires a back end server providing TV which the XBMC client talks to and then acts as the front end for PVR usage. PVR on XBMC is a demanding system on the CPU as such it is recommend to use an Intel NUC (core i3 kind), you have the server run on the same system as XBMC so basically your doing a HTPC, the easiest way is Windows + NextPVR.

If you have a good enough NAS some can run PVR server software like TVheadend with USB TV tuner and stream over ethernet to XBMC client but something with a decent CPU is still recommended.

Media Browser and Media Portal are two windows based HTPC apps that also include TV PVR directly into the app.

4. DesignerJohn

DesignerJohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I was actually toying with the idea of an NUC - the new i5 4250 version. Think that is probably the best option. I was beginning to think that the standalone media player scene was no more and that XBMC was the way to go - as it is always evolving.

5. Willosy

Willosy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the reply.

I really want to move away from building my own solution, I've just tried to build a WMC PC with an Xbox 360 as an extender and it was a disaster and took waaaaaayyyy too much time to get running and stutters all the time.

The old TVIX was point at SMB shares and away I go.

I don't want all the fancy smart tv apps, just good quality media playback with media info scraper and TV.

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,128
    Doesn't exist any more.

Intel NUC's aren't really normal PC's they are like an Apple Mac Mini, the only thing you have to put in them is a hard drive and RAM, thats it, they can also be bought with those pre-fitted (amazon uk will recommend the missing parts on any NUC in the customers also bought these area).

Media Portal would be the way to go as an integrated solution with TV and network shares. You could try it out on your current PC to see if it does what you want without having to buy anything.

Other options;
    HDHomerun - can make TV available over UPnP/DLNA, could be used with a WDTV Live for basic TV viewing.

Various Network PVR's - same thing has HDHomerun but mostly stream only to iOS or Android.

Big name BD/TV PVR - LG, Samsung and Panasonic all sell Blu-ray players with PVR built in and decent DLNA media players however they do not support SMB/Samba network shares.

Samsung do have a Plex client if you wanted a nicer UI for media playback but needs a server capable of running Plex media server.

Android - boxes running Android with TV tuners do exist but they are cumbersome to use and hard to obtain, it may be possible you could cobble together something that does all you want on an Android box but it would be very messy. It is also possible to stream live TV via IPTV with catch up TV on Android.

Traditional TV boxes, the old school boxes like ones from Humax have been updated somewhat with basic DLNA media players, they might be good enough.

I think a Blu-ray player PVR from one of the big names if your best option for something out of the box, the media players are quite good on them these days, all you need is a DLNA server.

Interesting NextPVR (which requires a Windows PC + tuner) is also available on Samsung so you could set it up streaming with Samsung as the clients.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  7. Willosy

Willosy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the info,

My concern with media portal is remote operation, as in how hard is it to get say a harmony working with it?

Do I still need to battle with codec packs?

I've recently toyed with Windows media centre and media browser 3 and it was a resounding failure. Not because of media browser but because of codecs.

I can give it a shot on what I've got, but to get final WAF I'd need to get a new case for HTPC duties and in theory a popcorn hour would come in around the same price with no fiddling.

What do you mean by old school pvr? What's the new school way? :)

8. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,128
    Mediaportal will auto download the necessary components during it's install. The only other TV capable HTPC software that comes to mind is JRiver.

PCH doesn't do TV unless I'm mistaken ?

Old school PVR are the original TV boxes for Freeview and the like, for example Humax product line. They have some basic DLNA media players built into them.

But a Blu-ray/PVR from the likes of LG would be a better option than one of those, higher WAF factor and better media support, I really think this is your best option.

Why the need for network shares ? DLNA is fine for most things these days.

9. Willosy

Willosy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How hard is it to get a remote to work with media portal. If it installs all of the codecs to work, awesome.

PCH doesn't do tv but with a humax it will, as looking at prices for lg bluray and pvr they are pricey.

I use shares because DLNA arranges/presents files in a terrible way from what I've seen.

10. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,128
    Standard windows mce remote/receiver should work, you can still find those on ebay.

Yes they are pricey but do everything in one box, DVD/BD, TV, PVR, DLNA, USB and internet media.

Yes some DLNA servers do not do a good job if you just want files, I would recommend TVMobili, it has a folder section on the root menu that just displays any folders you add to it, same as browsing network shares.

Serviio is one of those that overload the default layout but it is configurable to bare minimum folder only.
    - go to presentation tab and disable everything bar video folders
    - untick include parents title at bottom of screen (that hides the root "video") so when you browse serviio you should only see your folders you added into it.