TVersity is better than PS3 Media Server

pavr27

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the general vibe i get on these forums is that I should use PS3MS above any other media server. But my experience is that TVersity serves me better.

I have mainly been using Tversity to stream music and video from my PC to the PS3.
Apart from the lack of on the fly transcoding, I have never had any issues with it. It is quick to build/refresh libraries, responsive to control on ps3 and stable.

However, I have now attempted to find the advantages of using PS3MS twice now, but very close to going back to TVersity.

My initial impressions are (compared with my experience of Tversity):
Building libraries can take a much much longer time
Navigating on-PS3 is SLOW, track selection (whether video or music) is SLOW, including fast forwarding to next track.

I am aware howere, so far, of the following advantages:, transcoding on the fly and the thumbnail capabilities

But these do not make up for the slow navigation.

Other peoples experience of these issues? Am I doing something wrong?

WHY is PS3MS better than TVersity?? (apart from transcoding - as the use of mkv2vob for vids is really not at all difficult or time consuming)

From my experience, most of the advantages have centered around the thumbnailing and on-the-fly transcoding, although i've not used either to any great degree.

Each to their own though, if you're not using those specific capabilities, then stick to what works for you!

Each to their own though, if you're not using those specific capabilities, then stick to what works for you!

Indeed - but I guess the point of my post was to stick up for TVersity a bit, because the guides and advice on this forum are heavily biased to PMS - and I don't understand why - the fundamental basic functions of a media streamer are better implemented on TVersity compared to PMS.

Last edited:
It was written probably about 18months ago now originally, maybe TVersity has improved since then ?

All I've ever heard though was that you can do exactly the same with PS3MS as you can with TVersity, but more as well with transcoding etc.

I'm sure for most people, wanting basic streaming, Windows Media Player will suffice as well.....

Which version of PS3MS are you using? If it's 1.10.5 from the PS3MS home page then this may explain the sluggishness you are seeing..it has moved on a LONG way from that version which must be around 2yrs old...grab a beta from the forums and you'll find many functions (inc the local cache database) have been improved a lot.

also remember the first time you use PS3MS it begins building it's thumbnail cache..subsequent use will see it browsing much faster on the PS3.

It is also the only DLNA app that allows you to browse 'live' on the PC. it doesn't use a prebuilt library scanned in advance on the PC..when you browse with PS3MS you browse the PC direct.

Which version of PS3MS are you using?

i mainly have music in my library, very few vids at mo....and i'm noticing it takes a good few seconds to start playing tracks, and a long pause between tracks, and a second or two to access folders.

TVersity in comparison, is more or less instant

Also, fast forwarding, or rewinding a transcoded on the fly video (in this case mkv) is simply not possible.

Last edited:
I've switched back to TVersity - PMS is dreadful in my hands.

Library takes AGES to update (TVersity is more or less instant), rewinding and fast forwarding video is hit and miss (more so than TVersity), skipping from mp3 to mp3 is slowwww (not so on TVersity)

People on here rant and rave about PMS - perhaps I'm doing something wrong....or perhaps others haven't tried TVersity...much better if you don't need transcoding.

*confused*

Better would suggest more functionality - not so.

If you use the stable PMS and not the beta version, it is brilliant.

If you download the k-lite codec pack, coreAVC codec and run PMS through avisynth, nothing beats it.

If you want a streamer for illegally downloaded content, which 99% of the users use it for, then you need something that can play .mkv files without bothersome transcoding.

Better doesn't necessarily mean more functionality - my requirements are very basic - I just want something that works well at playing music and video, and that doesn't take hours to see a new video or mp3 I add to the library.
Better means more intuitive, faster, more stable, more reliable. It does what I want it to do very well, PMS does not.

I might try your suggestion re codec packs - might give a better result for handling video.

But, still leaves the problem of slow library and poor music track selection.

I'm using V1.20.412 - I assume this isn't a beta

I'm desparate to see the virtues of PMS - and so far, I can't find them.

BTW- I've never found mkv2vob bothersome (or slow) to use.

Last edited:
tversity is the one for media streaming to ps3. try vuze too. media streaming + decent torrent software + torrent search engine combined into one.

I'm afraid to say you are quite wrong....:D

Well, I didn't quite understand the post you replied to anyway....but all I hear is how great PMS is....I have always respected the opinion of people on here, and as such, I am trying to find out WHY it's better for my requirements than TVersity....perhaps I'm not using it correctly?

All I know is that for playing music, and watching video (albeit video that the PS3 can play) TVersity is quick, and faultless....my experience of PMS is the opposite.

Well, I didn't quite understand the post you replied to anyway....but all I hear is how great PMS is....I have always respected the opinion of people on here, and as such, I am trying to find out WHY it's better for my requirements than TVersity....perhaps I'm not using it correctly?

All I know is that for playing music, and watching video (albeit video that the PS3 can play) TVersity is quick, and faultless....my experience of PMS is the opposite.

Now try TVersity with a DTS encoded MKV carrying subtitles....

..the result will be no video, no audio and no subtitles.

The other major plus with PMS is realtime file browsing...it doesn't require the server side app to pre-scan your media everytime you add some new content..

If i was only streaming PS3 natively supported media I'd just stick with WMP...

Now try TVersity with a DTS encoded MKV carrying subtitles....

..the result will be no video, no audio and no subtitles.

The other major plus with PMS is realtime file browsing...it doesn't require the server side app to pre-scan your media everytime you add some new content..

If i was only streaming PS3 natively supported media I'd just stick with WMP...

My experience of video using PMS - is that it is not possible to rewind or fastforward (well, you can, but it doesn't do it at all well) - so i'd rather spend a couple of mins using Mkv2vob to convert, then use TVersity which appears to handle video as it should be handled.

Realtime browsing - something that I have not experienced, as one of my major complaints (see posts above) is the fact that if i drop a new file into one of my assigned folders, it can take hours before it is visible to the PS3

Been using PMS for 2 years and yes it has had it moments, but for streaming HD files at 720 or 1080 with the options for subtitles on the fly, I don't think you can find something similar.

By moments i mean I was not using the latest beta (which is so much better than the stable release) and some PS3 updates that messed up some of the functionality.

Using 1.20.412 on a wired lan I can fast forward any file x10 or x1.5 without crashing. I think using wifi really limits using PMS because of the bandwidth needed for transcoding.

I did try TVersity a long time ago but it just did not have the functionality of PSM, it did look nicer though!.

As for browsing I use PMS only for video and it skims through directories of boxsets pretty damn quickly.

Once you get the settings right there is very little you can do to break it.

Apart from quicktime files....cough ..cough

Well, it must be just me then, and I'm at a total loss as to why my experience of PMS is so different to you other posters.

It's very frustrating. I want it to work.:mad:

Well, it must be just me then, and I'm at a total loss as to why my experience of PMS is so different to you other posters.

It's very frustrating. I want it to work.:mad:

Just wondering if your problem is down to a corrupt PS3MS database....even though it uses realtime file browsing on the PS3 it does still create a local database on the PC for pre-caching images to speed up file browsing.

I had this problem once and resetting the library made a huge difference to browsing speed.

Have a look at this thread
PS3 Media Server • View topic - Why is my Media library so slow to browse

I use ps3 media server because it plays any and all content on my computer on the ps3 including any dvds that are in the dvdrom. The only problem i have is a lag when i am trying to play high definition files from the pc but i do that on wifi not wired so that figures.
I also own an xbox360 which detect the ps3 media server and plays all the files from it as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom