TVdrive - upscaling - tried it?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by murkio, Jan 2, 2007.

1. murkio

murkio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm looking for anyone here who has

a) TVdrive (on the NTL half of the network if this makes a difference)
    b) An HD ready LCD in the £600-£700 price bracket (i'm thinking Sammy R74s, Tosh WL66 etc)

I'd be interested to hear opinions of picture quality of the Tvdrive when watching SD broadcasts which have been upscaled by the Tvdrive. As we all know, most LCDs show a below par picture for SD (when compared against CRT I mean) but does the TVdrives upscaling compensate for this.

I'm having TVdrive fitted on friday and currently have a CRT tv, have been thinking of getting a flatscreen for some time and the upscaling quality of SD broadcasts may determine whether I buy now or wait for either more HD programming or better SD performance.

Side issue - I've googled but cannot find anything which states whether the TVdrive remote can be programmed to operate TVs in a one-for-all style like the currenbt "shark" remotes can. Can anyone say?

thanks

2. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Murkio - I dont think that the TVdrive upscales broadcast at all.

3. murkio

murkio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  4. buffalo2102

buffalo2102

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The TV Drive will upscale all SD content to 720p/1080i (when viewed via the component or HDMI connections). There are also 720p Wide and 1080i Wide modes which stretch all 4:3 content to fit a 16:9 panel.

The upscaling is pretty good in my opinion and it looks better than SD into my large panel via scart (better than the TV's upscaler). Most others opinions that I have read seem to agree with me.

The TV Drive remote doesn't act like a one-for-all. The only TV function it can control is the volume - IF you can find the right programming code for it.

5. mobs

mobs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have a TVDrive on the NTL network and it does upscale SD to 720 or 1080 through HDMI or component.

Have only seen this through my projector, Hitachi TX200 which has a 720p panel and the results are pretty good. Haven't compared it to the scaling capabilities of the projector but I think the TVDrive does a pretty good job. The BBC HD stuff does look amazing though.

Use it the rest of the time on my SD 32" CRT.

6. mobs

mobs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    beat me to it :)

7. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    the SD picture quality of the tv drive is much better than the old samsung box i had from NTL. I have the samsung LCD. Hd stuff looks amazing! have actually found myself watching nature programs! (mostly as there isnt any other HD content).

8. TheFreeJaffa

TheFreeJaffa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I have a Toshiba WLT66 32" HDTV set and the upscaled pictures which my TV Drive feeds it look great.

Of course, you may wanna get yourself a DVD player which can upscale to 720p/1080i too via HDMI/Component - but that's a topic for another thread. :)

9. bossc@

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Sorry lads. My bad in my response to Murkio. God knows what I was thinking of. I have mine set to 1080i going to a 5 series panasonic and must admit I'm impressed with the picture compared to either the Pace 4000 series or the Samsung 2110c STBs. I would have used 720p but the 5 series will only accept 720p at 60Hz and the TVDrive must only output at 50Hz as I cant get an image unless using 1080i.

10. radriderx

radriderx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,
    I agree with the rest of the posts - the tvdrive does a good job of upscaling sd, however IMO there are two main reasons for buying an LCD TV 1) for HD and 2) screen size vs tv size.

The tvdrive is a decent bit of kit (apart from the freezing issue) but there is little HD content - so if I were you I'd hold off until the HD content increases before buying an LCD - prices are tumbling in the LCD market so the longer you can hold off the better set you'll be able to get.

I bought my set when my old CRT gave up the ghost, and my main reason for getting an LCD was I could get a bigger screen with a smaller footprint than my old set. I'm happy with both the tvdrive and my lcd tv.

11. murkio

murkio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the replies one and all. I take radridex's comments totally on board - I was watching tv last night just knew that even upscaled SD on an LCD probably only just matches SD on my CRT as i already have it.

I'm primarily getting the TVdrive for it's PVR aspect, so am happy to hold off on getting a new TV to go with it. I've just got this terrible urge to buy something new :D

I was going to get the samsung le32N..... but will probably hold off until the next iteration, or even see what the other manufacturers come up with.