TVDrive problems? Post your location

def

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a theory about some of the TVDrive problems. It's far too wierd that some people have no problems at all then others (like me) have nothing but problems that come and go at random. The way the TVDrive works is similar to a cable modem, it downloads update and configuration packages from a server at the head end (Telewest).

Different regions have different servers. So I'm wondering if there's a pattern - if all the people with serious problems are getting their updates off the same few regional servers with bad updates. If they are then we can at least go back to Telewest with the info. Worth a try, I figure.

ONLY POST IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR TV DRIVE, and please just post your city. Don't need anything more specific than that (unless you're in London :)

I'm in Birmingham.

Problems

1. Blurry picture on Sky Sports (really only football) and Premiership Plus
2. Really slow menu's

Based in Medway, Kent.

But the only servers that are regional are the Teleport servers. The PVR functionality works off of the EPG which is the same nationally.

Variations in the quality of the installation can mean two next-door neighbours could have totally different experiences with the TV Drive. I don't think this thread is going to prove anything personally.

When I last spoke with Tech Support they suggested/theorised the same thing as they said the box is in communication with the mainframe whenever you perform most actions including starting recordings and playback plus when you attempt to return to live TV afterwards. So the guy I spoke to thought it could be a signal issue or at least some problem at the server end.

I'm in Solihull near Birmingham.

I had the box completely lock up tonight while trying to record off two channels - once the recordings had finished the box automatically rebooted itself!?

Cheers
KableMan

buffalo2102 said:
Variations in the quality of the installation can mean two next-door neighbours could have totally different experiences with the TV Drive. I don't think this thread is going to prove anything personally.

That's interesting. How does the installation differ to cause one person a problem and not another? I'd have thought that the box would automatically update its software so that each box should be running the same version. What other factors can cause a problem?

warrej said:
That's interesting. How does the installation differ to cause one person a problem and not another? I'd have thought that the box would automatically update its software so that each box should be running the same version. What other factors can cause a problem?
My comment was nothing to do with software. It's just that poor input levels, connectors, local interference, temperature etc. can all affect the way the box performs.

Buffalo, I can understand your comment but most of the problems people are seeing aren't being caused by input levels, temperatures etc. And as far as I know updates are taken from regional servers, not national.

Anyway this is a bit OT, I'd be interested to discuss further on a new thread but I want to keep this one purely for locations of problems.

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far, keep them coming please.

OK fine, I'm not criticising.

I don't think you are correct about the way the boxes work and don't think this is going to prove anything. I also think that TW have probably already done this exercise themselves. The fact that different people use the boxes differently will also skew results.

However, I am not one to pee on someone elses fireworks so will contribute. I am in the Bristol region and have had to reboot my TV Drive once only (blank menu problem) in 3 months. No other problems at all, series links included.

Wolverhampton WV4

Football goes in and out of focus (only happens on Sky Sports.....all other football chanells are OK BBC/ITV/C5....

Intermittent picture loss , will go off for a few seconds then return.(its a Pain in the :mad:

Engineer calling on Tuesday, will post result of visit (cant wait to hear what they think the problem is )

Safe to say that if this is not resolved asap , im going back to SKY

Brian

Hampton TW12

1st box failed on install, immediately replaced with a 2nd box.
I'm now on my 3rd box with similar faults to 2nd:

-Wrong programmes recorded (correct title but incorrect content/channel)
-Many series links don't work
-regular reboots required
-false programme crash alerts
-frequent "programme Off-Air" messages whils watching a recording, causes all recorded programmes to become unplayable until a reboot is performed.
-2 hours of space unaccounted for (empty recordings but shows only 78 hours free).

New problem on 3rd box:
Takes 1 minute to respond to remote control commands or buttons on the box.

Engineer visit tommorrow. I will post results.

Devon TQ12.

Sky sports/Prem Plus goes in and out of focus. No other problems with TVDrive or regular cable box

Hey I live in TQ12 down in darkest Devon too :thumbsup:

I have had one failed TV drive with a dodgy HDMI output.
The thing I hate most is the slooooooooow menu's:thumbsdow This morning was terrible :mad:

Stupidly slow menus

Glasgow (ish)

AV Junkie said:
Hampton TW12

1st box failed on install, immediately replaced with a 2nd box.
I'm now on my 3rd box with similar faults to 2nd:

-Wrong programmes recorded (correct title but incorrect content/channel)
-Many series links don't work
-regular reboots required
-false programme crash alerts
-frequent "programme Off-Air" messages whils watching a recording, causes all recorded programmes to become unplayable until a reboot is performed.
-2 hours of space unaccounted for (empty recordings but shows only 78 hours free).

Kingston - KT2

Ditto to the above, plus also now an ill-fitting HDMI cable (have to wiggle it to find a fit that doesn't cause the picture to keep breaking up).

I live in Enfield, North London.

The usual problems:
1. Dreadfully slow menus.

2. Long time lag between pressing the channel number and it actually changing; this is unbearably slow at times.

3. Frequent 'blackouts' or freezing and subsequent need to reboot. Reboot takes too long. Yesterday, I set a new record by the way, I had to reboot 5 times! I feel so honoured!

4. Telewest charging me for 2 Supreme packages on 2 occasions, when I have twice told them that I wanted one Supreme package plus 'box in another room' which should only be an extra fiver. They even acknowledged the error, reimbursed me after my first month only to make the same error the next. Simply amazing!

Ok, ok this last point is not really a tvdrive issue but I wanted to slip it in case anyone else had a similar experience.

Redditch - just on 2nd box as off yesterday - had to reboot up to 5 times a day - sometimes even more - white box of death nigh on every day - box says it was recording a show-oh no it wasn`t!!! - series links not recording - etc etc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom