TVDrive poor picture quality through Panasonic DMR-E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rnb62, Aug 16, 2006.

1. rnb62

rnb62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently had TVDrive installed which is great through my Viera HD LCD. Yet when viewed/recorded via dvd recorder DMR-E55 the picture is very poor and means I'm unable to record anything on to disc. The location means I don't have an aerial but I doubt this is this cause.
    All info/suggestions appreciated especially as my disability means this is the best format for me to communicate with others.
    Could it be I might need to upgrade from the DMR-E55?
    Cheers

2. bsuttie

bsuttie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Hi

Are you are running the TVDrive in HD mode and connecting to the Viera via HDMI?

Do you then have the TVDrive going to the DVD recorder via SCART from the VCR SCART socket?

If so I suspect your problem is a design "feature" with the TVDrive whereby the VCR SCART output is non interlaced and gives a very flickery image which may not be recordable. Additionally that SCART is composite only which doesn't help.

Only solution is to switch the box to SD mode rather than HD mode when you want to record to DVD. You will also need a SCART to your TV as you will lose your picture when you switch from HDMI mode.

If this isn't your problem, please post more details of your connections etc.

regards

Brian

3. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Welcome to the AV Forum RnB62, how is your DVD connected to the Viera?, without knowing it sounds like you are using the composite output, thats about the only reason I can think of that would give the low quality PQ you seem to be having:hiya:

4. rnb62

rnb62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both

DVD seems to be connected as suggested and when I switch from HD the PQ does improve but not ideal.

Would there any other means of connecting the DVD? Or would the remedy be to buy a HDMI recorder? Had a quick look at the LG DR198H.

5. bsuttie

bsuttie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    You could use the TV Scart out which offers RGB however it also has the menus on it and you wouldn't be able to watch one channel whilst laying a programme off to DVD.

I think you'll find that LG only outputs via HDMI, it won't record via HDMI.

regards

Brian

6. rnb62

rnb62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brian

Please could you explain how I use the TV Scart out?
    Thanks
    Nick

7. bsuttie

bsuttie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Just connect the TVDrive output marked "TV" to your DVD recorder.
    (Top Scart as shown here) Make sure you use a Scart cable that has all pins wired. If you are currently using that socket to connect your TVDrive to your TV you will probably need to loop through your DVD recorder i.e. TVDrive to DVD, DVD to TV. You can always go back to HDMI for normal TV watching, and the loop through for copying / playing back DVDs.
    You then want to change the TVDrive to output RGB by going to "Home" "Settings and Services" "Display and Audio".
    Set your DVD recorder to RGB input.

That should be you

regards

Brian