TVDrive installed - no sound with DVI?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by DodeFTD, Mar 25, 2006.

1. DodeFTD

DodeFTD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had the TV Drive installed today. My LG32" TV has a DVI input, so I bought a HDMI-DVI adaptor to plug into the TV. Picture quality on HD is superb - but there is no sound! If I change the TVDrive back to "widescreen" ie SD telly - the sound is fine. Change back to HD output and it disappears again.
    This is maybe a stupid question but do I need ANOTHER cable for sound? I went to Curry's for advice/possible cable purchase and the guy told me HDMI cables only provide the picture not the sound - is that true?
    I found an old cable with phonos on it, when I connect audio out on TVdrive to auxiliary input on my hi-fi, I do get the sound. If I plug the same phonos into the audio in phonos on the TV - no sound.
    The Currys guy also told me that if I bought a home cinema system, and connected the optical digital audio from the TVDrive to the home cinema system, I would also need to connect phonos from audio out , as the optical cable only provides the "1" in Dolby 5.1 - thats surely not right is it?

Apologies if these are stupid questions or have been asked elsewhere, had a search thru the forums with no luck so far.

Thanks

2. the porter

the porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,593
    I've looked at a few posts about connections and I'm still confused (getting
    old). TVD being fitted on 04/04 - I've got the PDF manual and can see the
    connections picture. I'm comparing with the picture on me telly (Philips
    23PF4310). Ok on the TVD there's a scart which I understand won't give HD?
    On the HD side, there is a HDMI socket and then there are 3 sockets labelled
    Pr, (Red), Pb (Blue) and Y (Yellow) - underneath this it has HDTV. On me
    telly I have Scart and a DVI - I socket. the telly came with a cheap looking
    cable that plugs into the DVI - I socket and has 3 x plugs on the other
    end - Red, Green & Blue. The DVI end has most of the pins missing - with the
    Horizontal Blade on the r/h side, this has 2 x pins above and below the
    blade. The 3 rows to the left have only 2 x pins in the top row and 2 x pins
    in the bottom row. I anticipate this is probably no use?? Sales have told me
    that the engineer will bring the HD cable but will it be the correct one! Do
    I need to get an audio cable? Last one :)) I anticipate that I'll need to
    use the Scart on the telly to connect the DVD player or could I use the VCR
    scart on the TVD?
    Regards, Jeff D (ready for the pasture).

Hi Jeff,

My knowledge is pretty limited also, but here goes.

You need to purchase a HDMI to DVI lead, or adaptor this will let you watch programs that utilise the HDCP encryption that is being used. You could use your existing lead, and plus the three sockets, Red, Blue, Green into the component output of the TV Drive box. This will give you HD quality, but you will not be able to watch the film(s) that will be broadcast.

The only drawback using a HDMI to DVI lead or adaptor is you will not get sound on the TV over DVI. You would have to use the Phono output/input of the TVDrive and TV, or optical output of the TVDrive to a home theater system.

does this help its of the blueyonder forum?

3. mojoicus

mojoicus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi dode if you have a home cinema kit with optical connections just connect one end to the tv drive optical out and one end to the home cinema and you will be perfectly fine as that is what i am doing now
    You do not need the phonos

4. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    DVI - Video only

HDMI - Video + Sound

5. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218

The sound phonos will be assigned to a certain video input, your TV might have a 3.5mm headphone jack which is actually the audio input for the DVI socket.

6. DodeFTD

DodeFTD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help and speedy replies.
    I didn't know that DVI was video only...but then neither did the TW technician nor the guy in the local electronics repair shop....looks like it's a home cinema system for me !

Cheers
    Dode