TVdrive HD broadcasts - how many/often?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by alphasmith, Aug 28, 2006.

1. alphasmith

alphasmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is tvdrive worth it just for the HD broadcasts alone? Just wondering whether to get one or not.

Would be very helpful if someone could give details of how many HD broadcasts there are and if there worth watching.

Thanks

2. bsuttie

bsuttie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Still very limited on the HD content front. Only live channels are BBC HD trial and ITV HD Trial. Very easy to record to disc however so you can sit back and enjoy Planet Earth is all it's glory.

VOD some PPV movies, Lost Desperate Housewives etc. and some other programmes but still very limited.

I still wouldn't give mine back however, have just got so used to the time shift capabilities. And the HDMI out gives a very good picture even for SD use.

regards

Brian

3. bjjgann

bjjgann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just to second the above post, and bear in mind that eventually the SKY HD channels will end up on Telewest which at that point would give Telewest a pretty good selection of HD. And I agree I am happy with the other functionality, Teleport Replay, Teleport Life, and the general PVR functions, the HD content (even limited) is a bonus.

4. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,026
    Worth noting that Lost and Desperate Housewives in HD is currently exclusive to Telewest although it doesn't come free.

Also, there must be some chance in the future of an HD channel 4, maybe an HD LvingTV, which will likely come to Telewest either before or at the same time as Sky.

Some of the Teleport HD stuff is very good. Really enjoyed Pride and Supervolcano!

Pleased to see Chris Eckleston's Doc Who series is now available on Teleport but such a shame thats not available in HD.

5. alphasmith

alphasmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've already got a DVDRAM recorder which gives timeslip feature, I agree once you have that you would never want to give it up.

So am i right in saying theres not really much HD content availlable just yet? I'm only likely to subscribe to the basic package and would not really used PPV/VOD movies.

6. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I got mine just for HD but that's because of the world cup, now that's gone and Sky Sports HD hasn't materialised there's not a lot to see - if it wasn't for the Missus recording every bit of crap that's shown it wouldn't get used much

7. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,180
    Unfortunatley i had mine installed for hd use as well ,but telewest have very little hd content worth watching ,and it has been the same since the launch of the box.

They did have a few movies ,but these seem to have been removed ,so your now left with american soaps ,a few nature programmes and about five films ,oh and itv,bbc showing a loop and the odd film .

The box itself as a pvr is very good ,although some have had problems ,it seems to be pretty reliable to me ,even though the hdmi pic is reasonable ,it certainly isn't one of the reasons to rush out and have one installed.

Hopefully ,before my contract is up telewest willl have some more hd content ,if not then it will be going back.

8. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Not too much HD content but I'm keeping my TVDrive as the SD picture is sooooo much better than Sky.

9. alphasmith

alphasmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks 4 all the replies, will give it a miss for a while i think :thumbsup: :thumbsup: