TVdrive Cables

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by implicit, Jan 5, 2007.

1. implicit

implicit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had a TV Drive installed and was wondering about best connections....Im not sure exactly how it all work, that I will be working out tonight ;-)

It's connected to my TV with a SCART lead and a HDMI lead

It's the ONLY device to be connected to my 26" LCD

Is this the best setup, or should I use component video? and what setting should I set the Video/Audio options to, there are various INPUT options and a 720, 1080 720 wide and 1080 wide?

What the best setup?

Thanks all CHRIS

2. Curzon

Curzon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you can connect your (HD) TV with HDMI, then forget SCART. Component Video would be a backward step as RGB is the best signal for old SDTV. The choice of 720p or 1080i is down to your prefererence. Progressive scan does not flicker like Interlaced scan but, 1080 is higher res than 720. However, it's unlikely that you will see that difference on a screen size as small as 26 inch. Now 40 inch and it's a different ball game. So go for 720p (progressive scan).

Regards Curzon.

3. implicit

implicit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Curzon

Do I need to have the SCART cable plugged in? Can I have just the HDMI cable and still get the 'normal' channels?

720 does look better

Why do Telewest install it with a SCART leand AND a HDMI lead? seems confusing to me!

4. radriderx

radriderx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You don't need to leave the scart connected if it's working ok with HDMI - the tvdrive comes factory set for SD, hence the engineer needs to install it first through scart before he can set it up for HD output

5. Curzon

Curzon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Implicit,
    Radriderx is spot on. He is also right when he says the engineer should have sorted it. The real world dictates; money=cannot afford an engineer, so you get as I had, someone trained just to "install".

I was going to give you some verbiage to think about HDTV, Blue Ray, HD DVD etal. Perhaps not, unless you ask the right question.

That TVDrive optical connection is great for connection to a surround amp system, with one caveat. The first data packet corruption could burst your tweeters if playing loud through an esoteric high quality system. Be warned.

Brgds Curzon.