1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVCables.co.uk – Excellent VFM-Build-Quality

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by CJROSS, Nov 22, 2004.

1. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    TVCables.co.uk – Excellent VFM-Build-Quality

Thought it would be good to post a user reccomendation about this cable suppliers :

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/index.html

Ive bougth quite a few cables from these dudes (see list below) and in every instance I have been very impressed by the build & quality of the cables supplied. Ive also noticed that they supply the best priced AV Scart leads to boot.

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PH001.html Excellent stereo phono leads £5.50 incl P+P
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PH404.html Digital Coaxial lead (I use these for my sub) but works great as intended as a digital lead. £7 incp P+P
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/TS004.html 6m Toslink lead. An excellent lead. &10 incl P+P

The prices they are charging for cables is a real tonic in this hobby and even as a cable sceptic Ive hung up my DIY tools as these cables work out about the same price. Anyway hope the link may be of use to people starting out in hifi, that mean you get as much as you can towards your boxes than cabling. I make no vibes about how good these cables sound as it’s a very subjective issue, all I’ll say is that the will remain in my system as they do the job they are intended to without problem.

2. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The 2x phono and optical leads are made by ProSignal and are very average.
    I often buy them as a budget leads from CPC, where they are availiable much cheaper.
    I recently bought the optical lead at 5.70 inc VAT.

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hmmm "very average", yes well maybe very average to you, but to me in blind trials impossible to tell against other cables costing 10X or 20X the price. Ever been able to detect cable changes blind by any chance ? :clap: :rotfl:

4. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Optical really either work or don't.
    I had trouble with extended runs, splitters and couplers, where better cables worked.
    As for the analogue cables, these are ****e. They are basic cables dressed up to look expensive.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    But in this instance James you are dissing this paritiuclar 6m cable that works without problem in my system, even off a £150 Humax 8000 PVR towards my DAC, it also works off my DVD-V transport & MD recorder with no problem at all. And lets face it for how much this lead costs @ CPC or TVCables its hardly a disaster if it does not work is it. But it clearly does work. So you have have a problem with long run toslink cables then ? Ive heard of problems with 10m Toslink cables hence going a 6m version and it worked fine, Ive tried a 5, version without problem also, after much seraching for a cheap 6m Toslink this one fitted the bill.

Hmmmm, these anlg cables look plenty fine to me, full metal plugs, decent diameter insulation and they cost £5, they also sound pretty superb to these ears from my phono stage / LP12, they also sound as acceptable as my DIY pure silvers ICs [which would cost in excess of £150 from a dealer] or a couple of £40 ICs I had lying about FYI.

Have you bought the £6 1.5 Coaxial digital lead above ? with the locking RCAs ? If so and would like to ridicule them feel free, Ive even taken them apart to see whats in them. And even these used as ICs are a bargain that sort of make dealer bought cabling the farce it really is.

Oh and BTW If you know any cheaper places than TVCables [like CPC] to buy these cables then put a link in rather than deriding a place where they can be bought very cheaply IMHO. There are 2 types of cable believer dude, you & I are at opposite ends of the spectrum it would appear. Why not go and find a cable thread where people are waxing lyrical about jaw drop changes in ICs cables you like & approve of, rather than diss cheap & perfectly up to function cabling like the ones above. I asked before but I will ask again, have you ever been able to ascertain differences in ICs when blind to their identity and using your ears only ?

I thought not. When you can [and I sincerely mean this] I will listen to your opinion as it will carry more gravitas with me.

6. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh dear,
    No I haven't tried the coax lead, which is why I didn't comment.

As for your concern about links, if anyone has trouble searching the CPC site, I'd be happy to provide a link or stock code.

Anyway I hope you and your family enjoy the cables.

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Oh dear indeed James,

What was your point of coming into this thread ? Let me see :

1) To say these cable were crap.

2) To say you can get them cheaper somewhere else ie CPC.

To answer these points above :

1) This point is from a cable believers POV, and nothing really to do with what I hear in my system or relevant to the fact that these cables are very cheap and do exactly whats required of them in an audio sense. If they are as bad as you say you would be able to identify them (ie for example the 1m RCA anlg leads) in a blind a/b test. You cannot AFAICT do this can you ? So your claim is conjecture at this point Im sure you will agree. I cant tell them apart from other leads in that circumstance in my system, hence asking you and failing to be informed when asked if you can do so blind.

2) Well again Im happy that these leads are available somewhere else cheaper, if they are well why not simply post a link to the exact same cables on the CPC website rather than derailing a thread with silly comments. Here I will try the CPC website for you as you mentioned here :

I Cannot see a 6m Toslink cable in the CPC website at all FYI. Can you give me a link and a price for it on CPC @ £5.70 incl ?. The link below looks identical to the cable I have bought from TVCables (same connectors but the TV cable toslink is black) but it’s a 5m Cable and it costs £11.22 (+ VAT + Postage), so the TVCable 6m Toslink is 8.99 + 1.25 P+P and a shorter length is more @ CPC.

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...PC+Catalogue&category_name=&product_id=252568

Oh and look even the phono leads you mention being much cheaper above cost more @ CPC :

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...pc+catalogue&category_name=&product_id=252565 £4.89 (+VAT + Postage)

In fact a quick call to Farnell confirms that VAT has to be added and a postage charge of £4.99. So I think your comment “I often buy them as a budget leads from CPC, where they are availiable much cheaper” Does not stand up to clode scrutiny.

:rotfl:

8. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  9. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Oh now were into bulk buying over £30 to save postage, we are talking here of a single cable.

To recap :

£4.87 + £0.85 + £4.99 P+P = £10.73 @ CPC
    £8.99 + £1.25 P+P = £10.24 @ TVCables

So where did you get this 6m cable for £5.70 with VAT included ?

And once again [as you seem very shy about answering this] Have you done any blind testing [for the 3rd time] in your cable “tests” or do you rely on your eyes as well as you brain to sort out what you “hear”.

Carry on at your on own discretion, making yourself look quite ridiculous.

10. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    But in your first post you were talking about buying multiple cables. Yeh £5.70 from CPC is what I paid.

And yeh, the 2xphonos sound crap.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    As a matter of interest, why are you often buying cables anyway. Are you a dealer ?

12. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nah I have justed been feeding optical cables into each room in my house as they've been decorated.
    I also did the same with my friends house.

13. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    What blind tested as well ? :smashin: For the 4th time.

14. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree that TVcables.co.uk provide cables which are good value for money. Whilst I can't comment on the ones CJROSS bought, I ordered well over £300 worth albeit from Profigold. I'm well impressed with them.

15. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They are the sort of cables you buy off a market stall, the fact that they say DIGITAL on the analogue phonos is laughable.

But anyway, I just did against a standard goldplated red and white ended cable.

No difference, but then again they look nice.

16. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i ordered 4 THOR scarts from www.tvcables.co.uk on the 22nd at 2139hrs,i received these cables this morning,(24th),how good is that,
    i prob need a couple more scarts,as iam setting up 2 systems,

what is the best scarts on the TVcables site,

steve

17. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Scussy I've a profigold scart which is of excellent quality & value for money. They also have good ratings in What mags. However, I ordered the Profigold because I needed one 10m long. I would have gone for an Ixos scart but they don't do one this length.

I too need some more scart cables & personally will order the Ixos range which I feel are the best ones they offer. Of course you could go to Hificables.co.uk & order rudicously expensive ones, but don't see the point in spending over £50 for a scart cable.