Question TV wont play videos

billybop

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help please, i have a Panasonic Plasma TV the number on the back of TV is TX P42 C 3B it is approx 8 years old, ive been playing music and viewing photos on the viera no problem, but for 2 weeks now ive been taking videos, my problem i put my SD card in the SD slot it keeps saying no valid file, my video files are MP4, a friend tried converting them first to MKV then to M4V but to no avail i get the same message no valid file is my TV too old is the answer a new TV id be grateful for any help thank you...Ray

Have the videos you're wanting to play now ever worked in the past ?

If you've not tried them before, then the most likely explanation is that the TV doesn't support the video file types you're trying to play. The older the TV and the newer the camera/phone, the more likely this will be.

Videos are often a problem because the formats used have changed over the years, whereas photos (which are commonly jpegs) haven't.

Your TV manual should tell you the supported video formats.

Ive only been trying for the last 2 weeks Mike, thank you Mike ill get the manual out now and check it cheers...Ray

My manual says -Video (MPEG2) and AVCHD file formats ?????

So no MP4 support, which explains why they don't play.

So is it a new TV mike or what, would a new TV guarantee it would play my videos thank you
Yes, a new TV is likely to cover a wider variety of newer formats but you would still need to check the TV specs if you wanted to play a specific type of file. You would also need to ensure the TV had an SD card slot, if that's your favoured method. I would guess most TVs have USB ports these days for playing media files, but not all will have SD slots

Do you transfer these photos and videos to a PC or laptop? If so, then you could install a media server like Plex and buy a media streaming device (eg. Firestick) capable of running the Plex app. This would plug into your TV's HDMI port and allow you to view your files on your TV, via your home network.

If these photos were also on a phone, another option would be to buy a Chromecast dongle which would allow you to display your phone photos and videos on the TV.

Do you transfer these photos and videos to a PC
Yes this is what i do mike
Do you transfer these photos and videos to a PC
Yes this is what i do Mike then i use windows 10 free video editer to do a bit of cutting, then as yet all ive done is upload to youtube, this allows me to email a link to my friends and family, and this is as far as ive got:(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom