Tv won't connect to Wifi

Middy2000

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 50" Hisense TV which I've recently moved within my house.

Because of the distance from the router its better I connect it to one of my MESH network nodes.

For whatever reason when I put in the password I get a failed to connect message implying the password is incorrect.
I also get this if I put in the router password from which the MESH nodes are connected.

However if I use the WPS button on the router it connects straight away.
The MESH nodes don't have a WPS button.

So basically I cannot connect to any Wifi if I type the password.

The passwords are 100% correct and the new Hisense I purchased which has the same style of wifi connectivity worked with the password being typed.

Regret a bit unclear what your set up is?
OK you have moved your TV and it won't connect. Am I right however in reading that you have a new TV in the original location which connects OK?
My Mesh system is seamless and does not require me to sign in again wherever I wish to connect. Rather than Mesh are you using WiFi extenders?

Yes I've moved the tv and now it's closer to one of the mesh nodes than the original router.

Router is the one provided by Plusnet who are my ISP.
MESH is Tenda MW6.

New tv connects to both by entering the password whereas the old tv will not connect unless I press the WPS button on the Plusnet router whereas I need it to connect to the MESH node.

Yes I've moved the tv and now it's closer to one of the mesh nodes than the original router.

Router is the one provided by Plusnet who are my ISP.
MESH is Tenda MW6.

New tv connects to both by entering the password whereas the old tv will not connect unless I press the WPS button on the Plusnet router whereas I need it to connect to the MESH node.
Thanks for the clarification. Does old TV connect by sign in without using WPS if moved back to old location?

No.

I'm not sure it ever connected to the MESH setup as there was no need to at the time.
I had the tv before I installed the MESH setup.

The way you connect it to the WiFi is identical to the new tv and that connects perfectly.

Spoke to Hisense, they are baffled.

They're sending out a new firmware version on a USB drive. Odd how the tv thinks it's got the latest version.

I suspect they were clutching at straws and hoping it works. I'm not convinced.

Try turning off the 5Mhz channel then the 2.4Mhzat the router in turn, might work

So....this morning a USB flash drive arrived.

Plugged it in and navigated to the update firmware via USB option.

Left it running whilst it did it's magic. Took around 10-15 mins. When I returned the TV had rebooted and was back displaying my feed.

I went to the network menu to try and see if it would connect to my MESH node only to find it was now already connected. Work that out. Prior to the firmware it wouldn't accept the password and more importantly it was connected to a different router.

So it's now connected to a different WIFI network and without asking for a password.

Absolute complete mystery. Tried YouTube and it worked so definitely connected. I'll admit I'm too scared to disconnect and try and connect again in case it doesn't work.

So....this morning a USB flash drive arrived.

Plugged it in and navigated to the update firmware via USB option.

Left it running whilst it did it's magic. Took around 10-15 mins. When I returned the TV had rebooted and was back displaying my feed.

I went to the network menu to try and see if it would connect to my MESH node only to find it was now already connected. Work that out. Prior to the firmware it wouldn't accept the password and more importantly it was connected to a different router.

So it's now connected to a different WIFI network and without asking for a password.

Absolute complete mystery. Tried YouTube and it worked so definitely connected. I'll admit I'm too scared to disconnect and try and connect again in case it doesn't work.
Glad to hear the firmware update cured problem. As I have said before my Mesh system is the same network as my base wifi router. My guess is that yours is the same. So your TV having been originally signed in to the base router automatically connected to the Mesh node as it sees it as one and the same.

No, the router and Mesh are two separate networks with my setup which is why I'm so baffled. I can only assume that when entering the password pre update the error message wasn't password related and it was actually retaining the password I'd entered.
Thus when the firmware rectified the issue it already had the credentials it needed to login.

I guess we'll never know.

I’m not sure why you have two networks, but I guess you have your reasons.

Your wifi client needs to match the security capabilities provided by your network. There are a number of options / configurations available - you would have to review your own setup to see what had been applied.

It may be the firmware added support for newer security protocols, or addressed a bug with existing. Either way glad you got it sorted, firmware updates do fix these issues from time to time.

I had similar issues and fixed it with powering adapters and wired connection
Amazon Power Line

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yes there's no way you can beat a wired connection WiFi can be very hit and miss, I personally use ethernet connections for everything I can only things I have on WiFi are my phone, tablet and Roku stick and I wish the Roku was able to be connected by wire too as sometimes I have had issues with it's connection.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom