TV won't come out of standby mode

S

sods_law

I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer a hand with my problem.

I've got a Technosonic 30inch tv. I bought my first house about 15 months ago and couldn't afford much for a telly so thought I'd got a bargain at £100 but it seems not.

When I turn the power on the standby light comes on but none of the buttons will bring it out of standby mode and the remote doesn't work either. It did work a couple of times where the tv came on but after an hour all the sound disappeared and, as abofe, the remote or buttons didn't work.

I guess I'm trying to find out if it's a simple problem that would be easy (ie cheap) to fix or if I should just invest in a new tv & write off the £100 I paid?

Cheers in advance!

You need to report back with the model no taken from the rear label to get any sort of meaningful help.

The number on the label is CTV2801

In which case it a 28" and not a 30" :D
I'm presuming you bought it second-hand if you paid £100 for it.
These models usually use a Turkish-made chassis such as Vestel or Profila-Telra...they manufacture the vast majority of the supermarket and Argos supplied models.
Stuck in standby can be caused by a simple fault such as a dry joint or failed component or it could be a short-circuit high voltage transformer which would be more expensive to repair...either way there's little you can do yourself and you need to call on the services of an experienced TV engineer and get an estimate.

Thanks for your help.

I bought it new & thought at £100 who cares if it goes wrong, I'll just get another. I did expect it to last longer than 14 months (2 months outside the warranty)though :mad:

I just hoped it might be a common problem that someone could say should only cost about x amount to get fixed. Otherwise I can imagine getting ripped off for what may be a simple fault.

Do tv engineers tend to come out and give free quotes then? I never knew that.

I guess the overall moral behind my story is that you tend to get what you pay for!

Thanks again. :smashin:

At least you appear to have made your purchase with your eyes open.
I was alongside a woman in my local Tesco yesterday who was eying up a Technica LCD TV. She (sensibly) checked to make sure it was "HD Ready"; then she asked my opinion.
I pointed out that I would be much happier with a proper brand name; she responded by saying that she thought Technika was a proper brand name.
I then reeled off a few - Philips, Toshiba, Hitachi, Panasonic, JVC etc.
There was a Sony nearby which she pointed to. I told her that would be a safer bet.
(Didn't want to confuse her with the fact that many lower end brand-name LCD TVs come from the same Turkish or oriental sources).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

At least you appear to have made your purchase with your eyes open.
I was alongside a woman in my local Tesco yesterday who was eying up a Technica LCD TV. She (sensibly) checked to make sure it was "HD Ready"; then she asked my opinion.
I pointed out that I would be much happier with a proper brand name; she responded by saying that she thought Technika was a proper brand name.
I then reeled off a few - Philips, Toshiba, Hitachi, Panasonic, JVC etc.
There was a Sony nearby which she pointed to. I told her that would be a safer bet.
(Didn't want to confuse her with the fact that many lower end brand-name LCD TVs come from the same Turkish or oriental sources).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

I doubt you'll find significant quality differences between any brand at any given price point. A £200 quid telly is by and large a £200 telly, and so on. Many proper brand-name TV's come out of where? Up North? Surrey? Poland? Czech Republic? Slovakia or Spain (like some Sony's), South Korea? What's your point? I'm sorta hearing Turkey bad, Slovakia and Spain good?!

I would guess that these new LCD's are so light, slim, and so easily assembled that they are being assembled in ever cheaper and farther away locations than was possible with CRT.

You would have done better to steer her away from LCD at any price. They're all poo.

Technical support and spares are better from the larger brand names.

Technical support and spares are better from the larger brand names.

I just bought a Daewoo. Seems nicely made. Are they ok for spares? What I don't understand is why TV's come fitted with female co-ax sockets. They seem so vunerable. Wouldn't a male make more sense on the TV?

I just learned that Sharp is about to begin making LCD's in China for the European market, so that part of my analysis is correct. Another reason the industry wants to move away from CRT I expect.

Jaycee, I don't spose you have time to answer my aerial question in Freeview? Cheeky I know, but if you have the time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom