TV without glass/glossy screens/frames? is there any?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by rosesrblu, Jan 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. rosesrblu

rosesrblu
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone tell me of any models/lines that DO NOT have glossy/glass screens/frames?

i dislike seeing reflections and glare. its too distracting and upsets me.

i want an HDTV that is like my PC monitors - nice non-glossy, non-glass screen and matte frames. no glares/reflections/fingerprints on these.

all i see is TVs with glossy junk all over it. doesnt make sense to me. people actually buy them? i found some older sets that are to my liking, but no one sells these anymore, sadly.

2. GokuSS4

GokuSS4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I know exactly what you mean you have to shut all the curtains cos you get tons of glare.

Funny enough an old Samsung I have is a MATTE screen like the one you are after so no glare.

Its a 40inch 720p/1080i 5years old but works perfectly with no damage no marks nothing.

Model is LE40R74BDX.

I've been offered £150 from a friend of the family who lives across the road but not sure if its worth more.

3. rob2278

rob2278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Used to have a Toshiba 42Z3030 which had a matte screen, not sure if their current one's have the same?

4. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Panasonic E30 is non glossy screen, not sure about the lower models in the range/ Most surrounds have some shine

5. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Just as a side note, I used to have a Sony EX723 46" set. This had a matte screen. It's amazing just how much glare can still come off this - ok, not reflections as such, but for me personally, I was quite surprised at the glare.

I now have a Sony NX723. This has an all glass front and frame. So, obviously this would be on your list to avoid, but I mention this simply because I was surprised how little reflection and glare I get from this. Hardly any.

Obviously it depends where you have to position a TV (if you are directly opposite a large window for example this will have a huge impact) but overall I was pleasantly surprised with my glass fronted TV and actually prefer this to matte screens!

Going back to your original question, what size TV are you after and what is your budget?

6. next010

next010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,036
    I'm also someone who hates reflections on the screen & prefers matte but they have been getting harder to find, some of the newer generation displays with glass fronts have much better anti-reflection materials used in them (probably only on top of the line models), the Samsung we have is not too bad at all.

Flatpanelshd is one of the few sites which does reflection tests and mentions the type of matte/glass/plastic screen if checking out reviews.