Tv with the new ps5???

Raddys1

Novice Member
Hi guys
I've got a ps5 and im looking for a new tv to go with it.
Atm I have a 4 year old phillips ambilight budget tv and its no good.
Now here is my dilemma, all the reviews are saying you need a next gen gaming tv with 120hz 4k, with hdmi 2.1 but to me it looks like a con, only 7 games run 120fps on ps5 and the patch on the ps5 is harder to develop games on as opposed to the xbox which will get alot more 120fps games.
The tv most recommended is the LG CX oled range from what I've seen with 120hz, 2.1hdmi and a host of other features, however I love the immersion that you get from a philips ambilight tv but they all run at a maximum of 60hz (i think the philips 8 series runs 100hz)
My gaming is mostly single player with the occasional gta online and GT 7 when it comes out
The tvs im considering are..
Philips 55OLED805/12 55" 4K UHD Smart OLED TV
Or
PHILIPS Ambilight 55OLED754/12 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED
Or
Lg cx oled 55"

I much prefer the design and ambilight of the philips and even the philips remote is much nicer with a full qwerty keyboard on the back, the LG remote looks cheap in comparison.
However what do you all suggest? Stick with philips or move to the LG? Do I really need 120hz and 2.1 hdmi? The human eye only views at 60fps, whats the point in having 120fps?

many thanks

next010

Distinguished Member
That will be fine go with the Philips if its what you want.

PS5 looks to me like a 4K 60hz machine was always its focus.

There is a very noticeable difference between 60fps and 120fps in many types of games (obviously not all benefit), there is a reason why so much of PC gaming is 144Hz and higher these days, consoles are only just catching up.

Sony also doesn't support HDMI-VRR though they have said it is coming via firmware update but their FAQ says VRR will work only with supported games so that makes VRR a lot less useful if its not compatible with all PS5 games.

120fps is not going to be all that common on the PS5. I suspect Sony is going to repeat its PS4 playbook of 30fps semi open world games with lavish graphics on the PS5.

Jez_Green

Standard Member
I've been thinking the same about HDMI 2.1 - finally decided to go ambilight over 2.1

Personally don't think they'll be many AAA titles running at 120fps at 4k, with raytracing etc, if any

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
They will run at 120hz at lower resolutions, it's only an input limitation not a hardware one.

The human eye only views at 60fps, whats the point in having 120fps?

That zombie statistic has had an upgrade huh? It used to be 24/25fps. I guess so many people have access to 60fps these days that the old figure was too easily disproved.

The human brain and perceive differences in smoothness at several hundred frames per second, perhaps a thousand or more.

Raddys1

Novice Member
Thanks very much for the replys guys.
Yes I'm swaying to stay with the ambilight.
Can I just ask though.. if I get a game that runs at 60fps and say for example I run the game on both tv's (LG cx oled 55 and Philips ambilight oled 754)
Will the game look visually the same? Excuse the noob question im not all that clued up on the differences between the 2 tvs

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks very much for the replys guys.
Yes I'm swaying to stay with the ambilight.
Can I just ask though.. if I get a game that runs at 60fps and say for example I run the game on both tv's (LG cx oled 55 and Philips ambilight oled 754)
Will the game look visually the same? Excuse the noob question im not all that clued up on the differences between the 2 tvs

Visually it would be the same, the graphics are rendered by the console.

LG display is at this time the sole manufacturer of OLED TV panels so Philips OLED panel comes from LG, this means there is a somewhat common look to OLED TV's putting aside the TV's own preset picture settings.

Raddys1

Novice Member
Visually it would be the same, the graphics are rendered by the console.

LG display is at this time the sole manufacturer of OLED TV panels so Philips OLED panel comes from LG, this means there is a somewhat common look to OLED TV's putting aside the TV's own preset picture settings.
Ah brilliant, on this comment I shall order a philips ambilight tv, thanks very much guys.
Much appreciated

Aerouk46

Standard Member
Ive got the Philips 854 OLED with an xbox series X it looks amazing!!!!!!!! For fast paced games like COD you can drop it to 1080p 120hz.
or keep it at 4K 60hz for games that look good.
the 4K 120hz is a bit of a sales pitch.

Raddys1

Novice Member
Ive got the Philips 854 OLED with an xbox series X it looks amazing!!!!!!!! For fast paced games like COD you can drop it to 1080p 120hz.
or keep it at 4K 60hz for games that look good.
the 4K 120hz is a bit of a sales pitch.
Nice, im just trying to find info on that tv, did you buy it specifically for your xbox?
Do you know how it compares to the oled 805?
I cant see any dealers that stock the 854?

Aerouk46

Standard Member
The 854 is the same as the 804 but with a different stand. I think only costco sell it. (But you get a 5 year guarantee) its last years tv now.

Dodgexander

Moved this to the correct section. Best buys for gaming are here:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom