TV with satellite socket on the back.

Knight Rider 1963

I recently brought an LG TV and it has a satellite socket on the back.

I was setting up Freesat on it and in the settings menu, where I select which satellite I need to choose, I saw 19.2, I then remembered that an old dish that I have is pointing towards 19.2.

If I were to connect the old dish to the TV, will I get a signal?

tickedon

I was setting up Freesat on it and in the settings menu, where I select which satellite I need to choose, I saw 19.2, I then remembered that an old dish that I have is pointing towards 19.2.

Depending on the LG model, it may have a Freesat EPG or it may simply be a free-to-air satellite receiver (no freesat EPG). If it has freesat, you might also be able to turn it off to tune in from 19.2

TJT1

Early LG sets were FTA only but later ones have the Freesat EPG as well.
My LG has both. I just had a ;play, and on sat mode, only Astra 28,2E is listed and the '+' button, which I assume that you can use to add a sat group, is greyed out and I can't be assed to find out why. So ATM I could not tune it to a sat group other than 28.2E. Perhaps it is not DiSEqC or USALS compatible but I doubt that?

It is not unknown for users to make the schoolboy error and ask "Can I tune my sat receiver to (say) Hotbird 13E". The answer is likely yes, but only if your dish points at 13E:laugh:

pedro2000uk

Yes ... if the dish is aligned to 19.2e & is still working.

19.2e ASTRA 1 (the main German satellite) is the default satellite on LG TVs but you can add other satellites from its list of satellites, eg 28e ASTRA 2 the UKs main satellite providing you have a dish/lnb aligned to it. (So you can access all receivable channels & feeds not just the freesat ones).
There's also diseqc switch options and diseqc 1.2/ USALS satellite motor options/ blind scan etc.. so quite comprehensive as well as Freesat if it is a Freesat model or one that can be upgraded to Freesat with a download.

They'll do 4k/UHD ku band c band & I'm pretty sure ka band. No tested them on more exotic transmission formats yet .. dvbs2x etc.. probably not, but still handy to have !

Last edited:

Clem_Dye

@Knight Rider 1963: I have the same TV in my kitchen. The satellite tuner is the generic type, in that it can be used to receive transmissions from any of the satellites listed in its setup. It can certainly be used to receive transmissions from Astra 28.2E, and will get all of the channels available, but there is no Freesat overlay, so no scope to use the Freesat EPG. Just select 28.2E from the list presented. Channels must be sorted manually, for example, and there are duplicates, and if a channel moves transponder, then re-tuning is required. That's a PITA, as channel moves seem to be quite a frequent thing. The Freesat overlay takes care of that if the channel is part of the Freesat setup. If your dish points somewhere else, say 19.2E, then there should be options for that satellite too, but the same deal will apply to a lack of EPG. Now and Next are all you will get on the currently selected channel. Bear in mind that the FTA channels on 13.0E and 19.2E are starting to dwindle. My dish is large enough to support a dual/triple LNB setup so that I could, if I wanted grab signals from 13.0E, 19.2E and 28.2E, but with so little on offer now I scrubbed the idea some time ago.

@TJT1: my LG Freesat TV has the satellite selection menus, but only Astra 28.2E is listed. If I use the + option, there is, as I recall, a prompt to add another satellite, but all it does is provide handy access to the SQ and SS levels for 28.2E.

I suppose that it costs LG to add Freesat capability to its kit. My guess is that the TVs have generic DTT and DSAT tuners, so will cover a number of markets, and they add the relevant software overlay(s) when they want to. So, in the case of the 22TK410V TV, its DTT tuner gets the UK Freeview software overlay, but the satellite tuner is left alone. It's probably cheaper to make dual tuner kit and customise it where necessary, rather than make just TVs with DTT only. That the 22TK410V comes with a power brick, rather than dedicated UK power set-up suggests that this is a TV aimed at multiple markets. It's a pity that there's no Freesat capability, as overall it's a good quality lump. BTW, Argos did list the TV as having Freesat capability, but I complained, so it looks like they've updated their website.

Clem

Knight Rider 1963

I also have another problem.

I'm trying to connect the aerial that I have to the LG TV and the Freeview PVR that I have. As soon as I connect the aerial, the signal on both the LG TV and the Freeview PVR goes to below 50% and hovers just above 10% and 30-40%, is there a way of improving the signal to maybe about 98-100%?

TJT1

On which device are you measuring the signal before you plug it into both devices? You can't measure the signal level without the aerial plugged into something.
Just to 100% clarify, as you started with sats and dishes and we are in the sat section of AVF, we are now actually talking about a terrestrial rooftop aerial and Freeview not dish and Freesat aren't we?
What device are you using to connect both TV and box to your aerial as there will only be one downlead from the aerial. If you are 'daisy chaining te aerial through the box, is the box fully powered? But there is no real point in guessing,:( and my crystal ball is cloudy this morning:D

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Guessing you have an aerial with a masthead amplifier and the way you are connecting it is removing the amplifier power supply. Look for a plug in power supply box with aerial in out sockets.

eg

Connect the coax from the aerial to the in socket, connect the out socket to the pvr aerial in. Connect the pvr aerial out to the TV. If the freeview-pvr has low power sby enabled turn it off.

winston2010

Does rather depend how old the dish or rather the LNB is. If it has a universal LNB then yes you should get signals. If it has an enhanced LNB (9750) then you may get some signals, if it has an original LNB (10000) and you changed to that in the menus you may get some signals but probably not as those LNBs had too much phase noise for digital.

Knight Rider 1963

Does rather depend how old the dish or rather the LNB is. If it has a universal LNB then yes you should get signals. If it has an enhanced LNB (9750) then you may get some signals, if it has an original LNB (10000) and you changed to that in the menus you may get some signals but probably not as those LNBs had too much phase noise for digital.

The dish is 28 years old.

Knight Rider 1963

On which device are you measuring the signal before you plug it into both devices? You can't measure the signal level without the aerial plugged into something.
Just to 100% clarify, as you started with sats and dishes and we are in the sat section of AVF, we are now actually talking about a terrestrial rooftop aerial and Freeview not dish and Freesat aren't we?
What device are you using to connect both TV and box to your aerial as there will only be one downlead from the aerial. If you are 'daisy chaining te aerial through the box, is the box fully powered? But there is no real point in guessing,:( and my crystal ball is cloudy this morning:D

I use the following method:

I connect the cable from the aerial to the coaxial y splitter.

I then connect another cable which is male to male lead to the splitter.

I then connect the other end of the male to male lead to the LG TV.

I finally connect the splitter to the Freeview PVR.

TJT1

OK, that seems OK.
As soon as I connect the aerial, the signal on both the LG TV and the Freeview PVR goes to below 50%.....
What is the signal level before you connect them both? Is the signal level OK on the TV and the Box when they are separately connected? i.e. is either the TV or the box faulty, dragging the signal down.
All you have definitely told us so far is how you have connected them and that when both are connected to the aerial, you get (effectively) no signal.
Are both leads from the splitter to the TV and box OK?

David Chapman

When I bought my LG55B8 I read somewhere here that the direct satellite connection won't work.

I phoned LG expecting them to say "yes it will" but instead they agreed. Something to do with the EPG not functioning? Coincidentally I just put another call into LG ten minutes ago as someone I spoke to earlier in the trade wondered if their advice was correct. LG are calling back (too busy at present) and so I'll post their comments when they do.

Knight Rider 1963

OK, that seems OK.What is the signal level before you connect them both? Is the signal level OK on the TV and the Box when they are separately connected? i.e. is either the TV or the box faulty, dragging the signal down.
All you have definitely told us so far is how you have connected them and that when both are connected to the aerial, you get (effectively) no signal.
Are both leads from the splitter to the TV and box OK?

The signal strength is 98-99% and the signal quality is 100% , if I connect the aerial without the coaxial y splitter to the Freeview PVR, same thing happens with the LG TV.

Both of the leads are OK.

TJT1

My best guess would be, without more info, is that you have a masthead amplifier which is getting it's supply from either of your sets and the splitter has not got DC pass diodes thus blocking the amp's power supply. A splitter with DC pass will have that written on it and show the current flow (plus to minus) direction.
But my best guesses are notoriously and frequently a load of blx. :(

Get the TV working properly and then put the splitter in line without connecting the other output to box. Does the T V still work OK with a slightly reduced signal strength? If not, either the patch lead or splitter is duff.
Repeat with Box.

Last edited:

Knight Rider 1963

The aerial is the following:

TJT1

OK, it is amplified. Not the ideal solution for an aerial, but from where is it powered?
And please answer my question in my last post (It is relevant).

winston2010

Creating a particularly trite and unhelpful post likely to annoy

That is a crap aerial. But of plastic with a wire and amplifier in it.
Amplifiers on indoor aerials are a waste of time, money, and electricity. They just amplify all the local noise without improving the signal to noise ratio. Ideally use an outdoor or loft aerial, but if you insist on an indoor one get one that actually looks like an aerial.

TJT1

Regardless of your outburst pointing out the possible unsuitability of the OP's choice of aerial and your sloppy double quote, he does get a picture. Strength is 98-99% and the signal quality is 100% whilst using it with one set, so it can't be as bad as you are suggesting. :p
Unfortunately the signal seems to disappear when two sets are connected so the problem seems to lie with: The connection cables; the splitter or something removing the aerial's power supply and my guess is splitter causing the latter. Having said that, I have been known to be wrong in the past.:blush:
Let's see if we can sort out the root caused of what is causing his problem before pouring scorn on his choice of aerial. Granted it may be his bad choice of aerial, with two loads dragging the signal level right down.

TJT1

Then I give in especially as you seem reluctant to ATFQ.
Get a man in.

logiciel

ATFQ?:)

TJT1

Second hit if you Google it. :rotfl: The first is close, but no cigar. But I didn't mean " Automated Ticketing Fare Quote"