TV will no longer turn on - TX-43FX550B

lozza23_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all

I have a tx-43FX550b from March 2019. It has decided to give up. The red light is on, when turning on it flashes a few times and then the red light is off. After around 20 seconds if you press the power button the red light turns on/stays on. The screen does nothing to power up.

I have tried several ways of resetting:

unplug for 60 seconds
unplug and hold power button for 60 seconds
plug in and hold for 20 seconds
plug in and hold power + remote power button for 30 seconds
different wall outlet

this was far from an expensive TV but I am a little dissapointed it has only lasted 22 months.

Before I purchase a new TV are there any last ideas I may try?

Also is it worth contacting Panasonic regarding any potential warranty/good will on reasonable life span of an electronic item? It's worth noting that this model does not even appear on the panasonic website! I assume they smaller screen sizes faall under the big brothers specs/hardware (i.e. the 49" or 55" 550B carries the manual)

Many thanks in advance

this was far from an expensive TV but I am a little dissapointed it has only lasted 22 months.
Also is it worth contacting Panasonic regarding any potential warranty/good will on reasonable life span of an electronic item?
You need to take this up with your retailer as they, not the manufacturer, are responsible.

EDIT.
With it plugged in try pressing a number button on your remote instead of the standby button.

Excellent advice thank you I shall look in to that thank you.

Re edit:
Thank you, I tried that. Same thing unfortunately. red light flashes 20 times. then blank for 20 seconds. then back to red on permanent. The screen has done nothing in that tiem (no backlight/flashes etc)

Less than two years is clearly an unacceptable lifespan for a new TV and I can't see any reputable retailer being able to argue with that. You definitely need to take this up with the retailer, as JayCee suggested.

I would be polite but firm - put the ball in their court to start with by telling them you're obviously disappointed, that you don't find this length of time acceptable and are wondering what they can do to remedy the situation.

Hi

Did you manage to get your tv working? I have exactly the same model and 3 weeks ago I had exactly the same problem and only 22 months old. I left it for 2 days and it worked fine until about a week ago.

Many thanks

Take it up with the retailer as in my advice in post #2

Take it up with the retailer as in my advice in post #2
I have done, but they're not interested. They won't even agree to take a look as the parts for the tv are no longer available. I'm going to try and complain to their head office.

If no joy complaining to the head office of wherever you bought it from (remind them of their legal responsibilities) make a complaint at a Citizen’s Advice centre.
If it cannot be repaired they need to give you a partial refund.

If no joy complaining to the head office of wherever you bought it from (remind them of their legal responsibilities) make a complaint at a Citizen’s Advice centre.
If it cannot be repaired they need to give you a partial refund.
Thank you

Hi

Did you manage to get your tv working? I have exactly the same model and 3 weeks ago I had exactly the same problem and only 22 months old. I left it for 2 days and it worked fine until about a week ago.

Many thanks
Hi!

I did manage to get the TV repaired, and on the good advice of the forum I have been more proactive with the retailer regarding repair, resolution TBC. As it stands today this is what has happened:

Called Panasomic, no luck with after care sales.

Called Argos. Same issue. However they would support a claim further once I have an inspection report. I also sent a compliant letter in the post refering to some ofhte facts of purchase and alignment with teh 2015 consumer rights act that was mentioned above. Very shortly afterwards I received an email from a customer relations rep to support with a reference number for the claim/complaint. They confirmed that an inspection report would be required beofre anything further could happen.

Local TV repair man made assessment that the backlight connections were faulty and causing power issues in the capacitors and giving the intermittent fault when turning on the TV.

Repair and inspection was £80. He resoldered the backlight connections. All appears to be working.

My next step is to send the reciept to Argos and go from there, and i will report back.

Hi!

I did manage to get the TV repaired, and on the good advice of the forum I have been more proactive with the retailer regarding repair, resolution TBC. As it stands today this is what has happened:

Called Panasomic, no luck with after care sales.

Called Argos. Same issue. However they would support a claim further once I have an inspection report. I also sent a compliant letter in the post refering to some ofhte facts of purchase and alignment with teh 2015 consumer rights act that was mentioned above. Very shortly afterwards I received an email from a customer relations rep to support with a reference number for the claim/complaint. They confirmed that an inspection report would be required beofre anything further could happen.

Local TV repair man made assessment that the backlight connections were faulty and causing power issues in the capacitors and giving the intermittent fault when turning on the TV.

Repair and inspection was £80. He resoldered the backlight connections. All appears to be working.

My next step is to send the reciept to Argos and go from there, and i will report back.
That's good to hear you got it fixed and I hope someone can fix mine too.

I purchased the tv from Currys. I've sent them an email informing them that I want to make a complaint. Hope I hear from them soon.

Has Argos agreed to reimburse you?

I hope they repsond to assist. A straightforward letter in the post seemed to work for me.

I will let you know when Argos get back to me and what their response is.

That's good to hear you got it fixed and I hope someone can fix mine too.

I purchased the tv from Currys. I've sent them an email informing them that I want to make a complaint. Hope I hear from them soon.

Has Argos agreed to reimburse you?

I had a response from Argos, agreeing to pay the repair charge. Great news!

However as the repair man went ahead with the repair before i submitted the damage report to Argos they are suggesting that any further warrenty/issues are the responsibility of the repair man. I suppose a bit like peeling off the warrenty sticker.

At this stage I cannot worry about it any further and will assume the TV will last a few more years to the point where it will not be a concern.

Let us know Lesley how you get on with Currys for people that may also be in a similar situaiton.

Have this same issue. Red light blinks 11 times, then stays on permanently. Sadly, no warranty for me here.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom